R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPC code ???  (Read 3534 times)

malice

UPC code ???
« on: October 26, 2006, 03:04:00 AM »

I was wondering,

I'm trying to put some order in my wife discography, and some company doing electronic difusion (hotels downloads, shops etc) are asking me for UPC and ISRC codes. I figured out how to read ISRC, but i have a question for UPC.

I was under the impression I had to have 12 digits under the barcode, but sometimes I have 13, like

one digit slightly before the bar code, and then prefix: 6 and sufix : 6 under the bar code.

What should I read ????

thanx in advance

malice

James Perrett

Re: UPC code ???
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 08:55:37 AM »

It is down to the difference between 12 character US (UPC) codes and and 13 character European (EAN) codes. I'm no expert but I understand that there is a degree of compatibility between the two systems.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

chrisj

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 01:36:58 PM »

If it's 13 digits of UPC code there should be a leading zero...

malice

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 02:24:32 PM »

chrisj wrote on Thu, 26 October 2006 19:36

If it's 13 digits of UPC code there should be a leading zero...

I just understood that part.

Apparently, UPC codes should have complied from January 1 2005 to 13 digits code. But if you encode in itune, you can't put 13 digits.

So: can I drop the first digit from my EAN codes to meet the requierement of UPC coding ?

Oh my, this is complicated.

Very Happy

malice

chrisj

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:34:11 PM »

malice wrote on Thu, 26 October 2006 14:24

So: can I drop the first digit from my EAN codes to meet the requierement of UPC coding ?
Very Happy

Well... there you have me Very Happy

I'm going to see if anyone has a better answer here- seeing as I got my answer also from here Wink are other people having to deal with this situation?

twelfthandvine

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:15:19 PM »

Hi there ...

Whilst I don't have the specific answer to your enquiry, I can maybe direct you to the relevant resources.  

In 2003, UCC and EAN International became a single organization.  As I understand it, around 2 years ago the new organization began a global re-branding exercise to become known as 'GS1'.

Head office still in Brussels.  Here is the link to that site:

http://www.gs1.org/productssolutions/barcodes/implementation /

There's technical and implimentation information there.

I don't know that I'd just 'drop the first digit' though without checking specifically with your regional EAN/UPC/GS1 (whatever) office.  One of the reasons for this is that, at least as far as I'm aware, each number is unique and dropping one digit may lead to undesirable outcomes.  Also, there used to be a 'checksum digit' in the sequence.  So, deleting one integer may not necessarily work.

From our regional GS1 guide (not strictly on point but helpful in the context of how this stuff is implimented):

'How many digits do I print beneath the EAN/UPC Symbol in the Human Readable text?

You must, absolutely and without exception, print 12 digits, no more, no less, below the UPC-A Symbol.

You must, absolutely and without exception, print 13 digits, no more, no less, below the EAN-13 Symbol.

You must, absolutely and without exception, print eight digits, no more, no less, below UPC-E and EAN-8 Symbols.'

As I said, this definately isn't my field but I hope this helps a little.

Kind regards,

Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Adam Dempsey

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 08:17:01 PM »

My understanding is that a checksum digit must be calculated and added to the 12 digits to be EAN13. I can't recall how that's done but where I used to work (which included Oz's largest jazz record label) this was done by our in-house graphic design guy.
Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Add presence, or subtract absence?

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 10:34:02 PM »

The checksum is the final digit. In the US it's determined by calculating the relationship between 11 digits. In the rest of the world it's the relationship between 12.

http://barcodes.gs1us.org/dnn_bcec/Solutions/CheckDigitCalcu lator/tabid/85/Default.aspx
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.