R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need a Sound Level Meter  (Read 4287 times)

ruffrecords

Do I need a Sound Level Meter
« on: October 25, 2006, 01:19:01 PM »

Do I need a sound level meter to make acoustic measurements of my recording/control room, or can I use the recording equipment I already have - mics, preamps, level meters?

Ian

Ethan Winer

Re: Do I need a Sound Level Meter
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:15:54 PM »

Ian,

All you need is a small diaphragm condenser omni microphone. The best types are those such as the Earthworks and DPA models that have a really tiny diaphragm. I have a DPA 4090 and it's great. But that's not mandatory, and the main advantage is at the very highest frequencies where the diaphragm remains small in comparison to the ever-shorter wavelengths. But for most rooms it's the low end that causes the most problems, and almost any decent omni mike is fine for that.

--Ethan

franman

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 07:43:27 PM »

Yes, I suppose you could "build" a Sound Level Meter (without absolute SPL data) from a decent small diaphragm omni, and nice flat preamp and a VU meter or other meter on your workstation.. You can produce fixed frequency sine waves and drive yourself crazy trying to make sense out of the distribution of peaks and valleys in your (or any) room!! Have at it....
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Teddy G.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:45:03 PM »

The problem with a sound level meter or any SPL measuring device or system is that one has to know how to use it! And that can be kind've tricky......

That said(And now that I HAVE MINE! HAHAHAHA!), the Radio Shack SPL meter doesn't cost much, works great(Better than it's cost), is at least fun to use and will amuse yourself and your friends(Much like a laser pen and a cat!)...

The Real Traps site has some tones you can download(Or you can make your own) and some "instructions" on what you can do with your new toy... Mainly, it will tell you that if proper, well-thought-out treatment hasn't been already accomplished, YOU NEED IT! BADLY!(Start reading-up or call Fran!) And that's something...... worth the cost of admission.

TG

ruffrecords

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 04:51:38 AM »

franman wrote on Thu, 26 October 2006 00:43

Yes, I suppose you could "build" a Sound Level Meter (without absolute SPL data) from a decent small diaphragm omni, and nice flat preamp and a VU meter or other meter on your workstation.. You can produce fixed frequency sine waves and drive yourself crazy trying to make sense out of the distribution of peaks and valleys in your (or any) room!! Have at it....

That is precisely what I want to do. I have read Ethan's stuff about making room measurements before and after treatment so it seemed to me that when I treat my room I need some means (other than my ears) of measuring what has changed. Absolute values are not so important as relative ones. I was thinking of buying a sound level meter but is occurred to me that I probably could set one up with the gear I have at hand.

Ian

ruffrecords

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 05:06:05 AM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Wed, 25 October 2006 20:15

Ian,

All you need is a small diaphragm condenser omni microphone.... But for most rooms it's the low end that causes the most problems, and almost any decent omni mike is fine for that.

The only omni mic I have is an Audio Technica ATM10 which is supposed to be quite flat down to 30Hz. Would that do?

Ian

Ethan Winer

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 01:22:38 PM »

ruffrecords wrote on Thu, 26 October 2006 05:06

The only omni mic I have is an Audio Technica ATM10 which is supposed to be quite flat down to 30Hz. Would that do?

Sure.

--Ethan

franman

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 09:27:37 PM »

Yep should be fine...
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.