R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic pres  (Read 12413 times)

James Duncan

Re: Mic pres
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 11:36:54 AM »

intervalkid wrote on Thu, 26 October 2006 17:23

Rude?!  Arrogant?  When was I rude and arrogant?  

Well, it is possible that I misread your intentions, as sometimes it is difficult to interpret someone's emotions from the typewritten word as there are no "tone of the voice" or facial expressions to read. As I go back and re-read the thread, I still get "the impression" of arrogance, but I guess I can also see where I might have missed your intent.

If I have missread you, then I apologize. It just came off to me as arogant on first read.

Do you have a right to ask for opinions on different mic pres? Of course! Because you ask does that mean that you are somehow less of an engineer? Of course NOT! You just have no experience with the pres in question. I'll give you that one.

Maybe the use of more emoticions like Smile  Laughing   Very Happy  would help us (me) intepret your mood a bit better.

I can also see where Fibes missunderstood you when you say this is your "first project" (or words to that effect) and then are asking about low-to-mid level gear, but want it to sound like a professional recording. Also, your current gear list reads like a home recording enthusiest that thinks they can get major label sounds from low-end gear in an untreated room. What else was he to think? If you had explained your background better early on, this would have helped.

I have to agree with Fibes that the sound of the recording has more to do with the room *than anything else*. A great room with a great performance is key. It sounded to me that he was offering good advice based on the information we all had at hand.

Then it sounded like you went off telling everyone how great you are with 17 years of experience, and how rude Fibes was for suggesting otherwise.

Maybe you are not rude, but just lack forum etiquette skills?

Best of luck with your search.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

intervalkid

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 04:33:20 PM »

"go ahead, buy whatever you want, but please please educate yourself before buying something.. "

What, may I ask, do think I was doing asking people about their experience with these pre's?

I've been studying zeppelin recordings for 12 years.
Why is there some assumption that I am some bumbling idiot?
Why don't you click on my link below.  Listen to "Rat's Snakes, Thieves and Wolves" (the only Pro mastered track listed)realizing first that it was recorded with only Cool Edit 2, an M-Audio USB Omni-studio interface, the ART preamp channel, and a KSM 44, Reason's Redrum, Blue Jay single hit drum samples, and Waves reverbs, in my bedroom.  This is of course besides instruments.
Then tell me I won't be able to get pro-qaulity sound with the upgrades I have listed.  Then be helpful and tell me why, instead of taking some air of superiority as if you were obviously and without question leagues beyond my skills and education and I couldn't possibly understand.

Everything is up to God's Will.  If you think otherwise then that is your error.

Fibes

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 05:32:22 PM »

intervalkid wrote:

Quote:

Yeah yeah, the room. I understand Beck's "Mellow Gold" is still selling.

Then later intervalkid wrote:

Quote:

Never said there was a substitute for a great room.

Hmm, I'm getting mixed signals.

Those who know what a great room, deck and console can do understand the vitriol.

There was much good advice offered within this thread although I'm not sure if very much was taken, except to throw out of hand.

BTW Buy a 500 series rack and all the Adesigns pres you can fit into it. That's what my arrogance is doing now.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

George_

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 05:48:42 PM »

Quote:

Everything is up to God's Will. If you think otherwise then that is your error.

now we are in the market about serious religious discussion again. you didn't understand ANY SINGLE WORLD of your favourite book..

and Fletcher is right. Whatever works for you.. works for you, and if your focus is limited to "witch preamp is better then the other" I am very sorry for you.

Go.. and fight the fire.. do you take Soda or normal water?

cheers and out
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Andy Peters

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 07:33:45 PM »

intervalkid wrote on Fri, 27 October 2006 13:33

Everything is up to God's Will.

Then why even bother?

Just sit around on your ass, and wait for the Rapture.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

intervalkid

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 01:53:54 AM »

As to the room, I don't see mixed signals there.  Beck's "mellow gold" sounds good yet they did it in a living room.  It is possible.  Of course it may have sounded "better" in an expensive engineered room.  Sure the room makes a difference, but if you have three radio shack microphones and a 4-track cassette recorder and the best room and band in the world, it's still going to sound like a cheap recording no matter who is engineering the recording.  While if you have top of the line mics and pres and a Protools HD system and a great band in a crappy room, with a good engineer it can still sound very good and professional.  I also stated in my original post that I have limited resources.  Telling someone who can't afford $50,000+ to build a nice room that they need a good room is not helpful.  I don't understand why you feel the need to reiterate this point.  It is mute.  I will have to do the best with what I have.
I said that I have 17 years of recording experience because it is a fact, not to boast of how good I am.  Just that I understand the fundamentals of recording.  I never said I had 17 years exerience recording in rich studios with loads of great gear and that I was expert at using it all.  I said I had recorded my own bands.
The URL I have listed shows exactly how good or bad I am, given the gear and room that I recorded it with and in.  Nothing more or less.

As far as me not understanding a word of the Bible, I don't see why you would make such an assumption, unless you think that just because we have free will, and bad things happen to good people it negates God's Will (God being Ultimate and Perfect Good).  The Bible is as much an instruction on what not to do as it is what to do.
I suppose you haven't spent much time meditating on Eternal Existence vs. temporal existence.  Eternal Exitence (where God is, though the Eternal can exist in the temporal, the temporal cannot exist in the Eternal) everything might as well for the sake of perspective, have already happened to those outside of time and living in Eternal Existence. Think of a scientist who knows the reaction between chemicals that he is going to mix.  The chemical reaction seems to be instantaneous to the scientist, but on sub atomic levels there is much moving and changing.  Equate this to our existence.  God being the scientist, temporal reality being the chemical reaction, the elect being the product and the damned beng the waste product.
Bear in mind of course, that God is of Infinite perception and intelligence as well as all other virtuous attributes.  We are manifesting ourselves into actual reality while the seemingly real is only temporal illusion, actual reality is Eternal.
So sitting on your ass all day, is not a viable option as what must be done must be done.  Sure there are people who sit on there ass all day but I don't see how that is relevant to God's Will as factual reality.  I suppose that is what they choose to do.  From our perspective in time, the choices and accountability of our actions are our decisions.  From a non-temporal/Eternal perspective, though the choices are already made, we still made them and are accountable.  This however ends in the outcome that God intends.  
Does that clear things up?  

Peace
Jesus!

Andy Peters

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 02:24:35 AM »

intervalkid wrote on Fri, 27 October 2006 22:53

(snip religious psychobabble)

Yeah, completely.

Lighten up, Francis.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Larrchild

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 04:20:02 AM »

You say "God", I say Aliens in a UFO landed and mated with our earth-apes. either one lacks a sufficient body of evidence to prove or disprove, so because on the 8th post of a 20 post thread, you found a preamp, what's all this other nonsense? This was all good advice from people who do this everyday, which you admit you don't.

Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Fibes

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 11:38:05 AM »

I listened to the link.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

George_

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 12:41:34 PM »

Quote:

yes completly.. take your medicine now and get well soon.

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes there are a lot of crazy people out there.. more crazy than I am.. that scares me.. and I am not talking about Fletcher  Laughing  Laughing

cu in hell boy

cheers el dick from dickland 666
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

James Duncan

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 12:47:59 PM »

Intervalkid...

You are a poor representative of The Kingdom.

You have a crappy attitude and a chip on your shoulder.

Best of luck to you in your (temporal) life... you are going to need it.

I'm done with this thread.

P.S. I listened to the links too... everybody thinks they are a rock star.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

intervalkid

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2006, 01:15:25 AM »

God!  I just posted the link so there would be a solid example of where I am at.  What no relevant suggestion?

Why am I a poor example of the Kingdom?  Beaucse I care enough to try and explain to someone who beckons a religious discussion my understanding of God's Will?  How does this make sense?  In my own defense I might add.  Would Jesus not do the same?
I'm sick of the abuse I'm taking here for actually asking questions and not acting like I know everything.  

The Shi'its are having an uprising just as God told me they would 2 years ago (the week Sadaam was captured)  I posted it on the 10Wise/Myspace Blog entitled "Uprising +" wit another Prophecy He gave me.
http://profile.myspace.com/10wise check the date of the post
(Dec 17 2005) when there was absolutely no indications that a Shi'ite uprising would occur.  In fact at that time the Sunni's were causing all of the trouble and the Shi'ites were working with us at the head of the Iraqi govenment.  So I would have to say all evidence points to the fact that God disagrees with you on that point.  He trust me enough to speak to me and comfort me and guide me to all Truth and to knowledge of things that will come.
So take your hypocritical accusational judgements and attitude and actually study the Bible for once in prayer and consistency forsaking man made dogma.

intervalkid

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2006, 01:21:07 AM »

Francis.  LOL.  That's funny.
Thanks for not attacking me.

Larrchild

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 01:24:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure Colin Powell was telling Bush that the Shites would rise up if Iraq was invaded a year or so before we went in there in his "Pottery Barn" memo.

It's really not as much a prophecy as a "No Brainer", there,  Kreskin.

Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

intervalkid

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2006, 01:37:27 AM »

Well belive what you want, but I don't read the newspaper, listen to the radio or watch TV, except on occasion.
Whether what you say is true or not I will check.  
Maybe when the relics of the catholics are destroyed you might believe.  

The only real advice I got on here, excepting a few of the first posts before I landed the Amek, has been basically to give up and try to book into a studio, which is completely contradictory to my intention and outside of my means, and to concentrate on getting performances, which I fully intend to do.
I suppose if I had put up some of these Laughing  Cool  Confused  Shocked  Smile  Very Happy  Embarassed , maybe people would have understood that most of the beggining posts, before the Amek and attacks, was light hearted.  I'm just not used to using them.  I suppose I will more in the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.