R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sound quality differences in daw software?  (Read 8951 times)

bert

sound quality differences in daw software?
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:11:35 AM »

i never really had the chanche to compare them A/B, but i was wondering which one of the two has the better soundquality, protools or cubase and what about nuendo? if you don't look at preamps/convertors/etc... i you only look at the application itself, there must be differences, not?

Tomas Danko

Re: sound quality differences in daw software?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:14:02 AM »

bert wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 11:11

i never really had the chanche to compare them A/B, but i was wondering which one of the two has the better soundquality, protools or cubase and what about nuendo? if you don't look at preamps/convertors/etc... i you only look at the application itself, there must be differences, not?

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1666785/2/istockphoto_1666785_can_of_worms.jpg

On a more serious note, Searcheth And Ye Will Findeth. There's been oogles to read here regarding this issue.

Oh, and make sure to get the 3D Audio "Awesome DAW SUM Sampler" CD by the gentleman Lynn Fuston:

http://www.3daudioinc.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22/ products_id/32?osCsid=934d60f2516ef58b21089730bb5d3df7

There should be no more worms in that can if you do.

Sincerely,

Tomas Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

brett

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:54:44 PM »

He does not mention what version of cubase is used on the CD test (circa 2003). If it was Cubase SX, the audio engine is the same as nuendo, but Cubase 32 and 5 were an older engine and sound like mud compared to Cubase SX.

To answer you question, yes they do sound different but not better or worse. I have used Cubase from back on 3 through Cubase SX. Tried Sonar for a while and didn't like the layout or the CPU hit. Switched to a mac a ran DP4 for a while, then bought Protool 6.4.1 and a mix plus system. Still have it but I am now running Logic 7 as well.

I Like logic the most. I always felt that playing files back in PT sounded diferent than the bounce playing back in itunes. I think that my mixes sound the same after bouncing from logic. I trust that what I hear is being translated to disk identically.  

I would not run Cubase on a mac. If that is your plan do some searching on the net. I have heard some stories about issues. On a PC it would be my go to production app. Very solid and so many free and cheap plugs like the voxengo stuff. Cubase and Nuendo are going to sound better than PT if you record through a an interface that is superior to the digi hardware IE: Digi002.

Protools LE is also a CPU pig compared to Cubase SX. Afterall Digi wants to eat up all your CPU so you think you need to buy expensive HD systems. You will get higher track counts and a better mixer in Cubase SX, and the VST plugs are so cheap and some of the best sounding plugs you cna buy on a PC.    

cerberus

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 02:14:26 PM »

cubase sx3 runs great on mac.

i use cubase for mixing and mastering because of it's audibly superior sonics. i also have protools le  and logic pro.

some tests will null, some will not. no single test covers all the bases, no single test is definitive. that is why this controversy brews.

jeff dinces

Hitmaker

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:19:05 AM »

Hi ,

A while ago , I did a relatively objective analysis among the big three ( PT , Cubase , and Sonar ) , Samplitude , and a hardware DAW ...

The results can be found here ...

http://digitalmusicdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=255

( a wee way down ... )

Cheers ,

Evan .

Ashermusic

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 12:20:45 PM »

While there are some sonic differnces between DAWS because of the plug-ins that come with them, pan laws, etc. if you were to bounce i.e. 32 audio files with no panning or plug-ins using the same hardware you would be hard pressed to hear a difference in the bounces.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

PookyNMR

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 11:49:40 PM »

brett wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 15:54

I would not run Cubase on a mac. If that is your plan do some searching on the net. I have heard some stories about issues.

I also run Cubase on a Mac.  It works no worse than any other DAW out there.

Internet rumors are the worst form of information - if you could even call it information.

Nathan Rousu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.