R/E/P > Dan Lavry

can i swap a resistor for a speaker in a cabinet?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Transcending Music:
rjd2,

did you consider a power soak or "hot plate" or even the attentuator suggested by sin x/x ? they work fairly well and keep the loads safe.

danlavry:
Transcending Music wrote on Thu, 26 October 2006 17:43
rjd2,

did you consider a power soak or "hot plate" or even the attentuator suggested by sin x/x ? they work fairly well and keep the loads safe.

That would answer only one aspect of the problem, the heat. It still falls short in the area of impeadance matching, and potential inductance issues when using wire wound power resistor.

Regards
Dan Lavry
http://www.lavryengineering.com

Teddy G.:
I must stumble in, here - these kinds of posts and replies hurt my head. I just can't NOT look at them - sorry.

I know I'm not getting it, but, I guess that's what these forums are for - to learn.

Why don't you just turn the thing down? Tone not the same?

Have you tried the little foam widgets you stick in your ears?

Are you using it mic'ed in the studio and can't get the mic far enough away? Can't turn the pre down far enough?

So loud at good tone level it interferes with other instruments in the room? Neighbors can't hear their own lawnmowers running?

Seems like a bit of a pricey gadget to tear into to mess with, anyway, even if it would "work"?

If a non-inductive resistor is the largest stumbling block(I know, it's not, but in the interest of more goofy thoughts, maybe useable in the future...), no reason to look for a single, perfect, resistor is there? One should, with a bit of head scratching and paper and pencil be able to figure out a non-inductive resistor network(Several/many resistors correctly wired together) even if all of the 2 watt variety(1/4 watt if you enjoy soldering.). Hams do this quite often with success, for power levels of hundreds of watts - even drowning the poor little resistors in cans of oil, to absorb the heat. Messy, but....?

Sometimes our questions are a bit goofy in the first place(That's fine, I ask LOTS of goofy ones!) -- and while it is interesting to see everyone jumping in with highly technical talk of the if's and's and but's, sometimes the simple answer is "best", I think.

I must go with "-a" --- go to the store and get the smaller amp.

Move on......

TG

Transcending Music:
Hi Dan, correct me if I'm mistaken...

The THD hot plate for example dissipates the heat but are also manufactured to match impedance.

danlavry:
Transcending Music wrote on Fri, 27 October 2006 22:56
Hi Dan, correct me if I'm mistaken...

The THD hot plate for example dissipates the heat but are also manufactured to match impedance.

Hi,

I do not know that much about it. But looking at their site it says:

"How do I use it?
The THD Hot Plate

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version