R/E/P > Dan Lavry

can i swap a resistor for a speaker in a cabinet?

(1/6) > >>

rjd2:
i was considering bypassing one speaker in an AC30 for the purpose of making it less loud. amp runs at 16 ohms. 2 8 ohm speakers. can i "swap" one speaker for a resistor of the proper value? or is this a generally bad idea? thanks.

Sin x/x:
It should work, but you will get just 6dB of reduction.

I use a bridged -T attenuator.

It does change the tone of the amp, but not much.

I've heard great things about Weber, but have no experience with them.

Here's a link:http://amps.zugster.net/articles/attenuation

Tom C:
rjd2 wrote on Fri, 20 October 2006 03:43
i was considering bypassing one speaker in an AC30 for the purpose of making it less loud. amp runs at 16 ohms. 2 8 ohm speakers. can i "swap" one speaker for a resistor of the proper value? or is this a generally bad idea? thanks.

Why don't you use a (high power) potentiometer to control the
loudness of both?
You'd have much more control this way.

[Edit because of speeeliing]

Andy Peters:
rjd2 wrote on Thu, 19 October 2006 18:43

You'd be better off getting an AC15.

-a

danlavry:
rjd2 wrote on Fri, 20 October 2006 02:43

I would not rush to assuming that it would work. Speakers are NOT resistors, and the design of a speaker (a very complex device) is not optimized for such a practice. Typically, a driver is low impedance source, and most often there is some series resistance paralleled with an inductor in series, for a good reason. That "network" is near short at low frequencies.

But if you insist doing is with a series resistor, it will have to be a very high power device, rather large, and it will run hot when the signal is high. So be careful not to get burned.

And given that many high power resistors are "wire wound", many such resistors may have too much inductance at the higher audio frequencies, which may further muck with the response...
Will it? At say 10KHz, it only takes 16uH inductance to have 1 Ohm or reactance. I do not know of the top of my head how much inductance to expect, but I would be carfull to be sure that inductance is not a problem...

Some of us pay a lot of attention to matching source and load (amp and speaker in this case). Others view all speakers as being "about the same load". But replacing 2 speakers with a resistor and a speaker? I am not sure it is such a great idea....

Regards
http://www.lavryengineering.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version