R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Criteria for Comparing Converters  (Read 11185 times)

Haolemon

Criteria for Comparing Converters
« on: November 04, 2006, 01:30:22 PM »

I am in the process of deciding what new converters to upgrade to.  It is not quite as easy to compare such items as it is to compare, say two mics.  Since it will be somewhat difficult to arrange a "shootout", I'd like to prepare beforehand as best I can.

What should I be listening for?  Distortion?  Noise? Transient response?

The reviews often speak of "widened stereo field", "warmer mids" and other such subjective phrases.  While I'm sure that some of this comes down to taste, there must also be some objective improvements in the more expensive units.

Any advice would be appreciated.

danlavry

Re: Criteria for Comparing Converters
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:07:50 PM »

Haolemon wrote on Sat, 04 November 2006 18:30

I am in the process of deciding what new converters to upgrade to.  It is not quite as easy to compare such items as it is to compare, say two mics.  Since it will be somewhat difficult to arrange a "shootout", I'd like to prepare beforehand as best I can.

What should I be listening for?  Distortion?  Noise? Transient response?

The reviews often speak of "widened stereo field", "warmer mids" and other such subjective phrases.  While I'm sure that some of this comes down to taste, there must also be some objective improvements in the more expensive units.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Indeed, this froum is a technical one (see
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/2125/1684/ )

The rules clearly state that we do not address issues that can be highly subjective.

Of course there are many objective factors in choosing converters and other gear. When it comes to the technical side,
it does take a lot of technical understanding to tie some true and objective listening results to technical reasons.

For exam[ple, your comment regarding widened stereo field is often connected to better jitter performance, and how the ear perceives jitter.

The "warm mids" may be connected to distortions, which is a question of taste.

Regrads
Dan Lavry
http://www.lavryengineering.com

Alex_M

Re: Criteria for Comparing Converters
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 01:03:43 PM »

Can anyone hear the "ringing" IM distortion (during filter group delay time) of various A/D converters?
As a rule, 192kHz devices has longer digital filter on 44-96kHz modes, than oldest chips with 48 or 96kHz max. frequency.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 18 queries.