R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: UAD Vs Native  (Read 17994 times)

Cass Anawaty

Re: UAD Vs Native
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »

Good call, will check them out, thanks. Though my DAW is not internet enabled. Headphones on an EMU 0202 will have to do the trick on my online PC.
Mine isn't either--I just download them and move them to the studio.  I think you can download as an option on their site, or just use Orbit or another capture program.
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

ggidluck

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »

Which UAD plugins are you guys using?

Ben F

• Real Full Name: Ben Feggans
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »

UAD in my opinion and many other experienced mix engineers that come into the studio are the only company to really nail analogue emulation.

Their plug-ins actually have a unique 'vibe' about them much like analogue does. Great company to deal with as well.

mcsnare

• Real Full Name: Dave McNair
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 12:49:20 AM »

I've been using the UAD stuff for mastering and I have to say it's very good. A lot of the plugs actually have vibe.

Dave

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:31 AM »

I use the Massive Passive - the limiter and a few of the others at times.  Every now and then the maximiser and precision enhancers rear their heads as well....and the Studer :D
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

dietrich

• Real Full Name: ds
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »

Love surgical cuts on the Cambridge EQ and subtle boosts on the Prec EQ. Prec Limiter in use all day long

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »

Well I had a listen to some native demo's at the weekend and I am very pleased with what I heard, in fact I had a little spend already ; )

I will be checking out some UAD website video/audio soon, shame I cannot really try them on actual material, but thats how they roll.

I am not quite as concerned about nailing analogue vibe right now, I have some nice kit in the rack, and I have software that already provides this somewhat subjective quality. What I am interested in is new and unique sound capability and I have found some nice products. I think I will be in line for some UAD at some point whatever happens right now.

Found a few highly rated products not meeting my expectations or needs, odd that when something is hyped to hell and yet when you hear it yourself it's not cutting mustard.
(Thats my UAD worry too, so I go with what I can try and hear for now.)

It's immense fun, but I find my ears get tired much quicker when testing plugs/equipment out
than actually mastering with things I love know and trust.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

dietrich

• Real Full Name: ds
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 11:54:38 AM »

Barry-can any of your computers use a UAD1 PCI card? These can be had for  $100 often over here... its good way to 'demo' all the UAD plugs for jumping in for a UAD2

SafeandSoundMastering

• My analogue rack
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »

Thats a good call, yes I ensured my new i7 machine had both PCI and PCIe, damn it's even got an IDE controller so I can still get some more out of an IDE plextor 712A drive that is still doing 0.2 C1's in my old machine.

I will have a little look about on ebay and the likes, I am doubtful it could run a studer emulation though that must take quite a bit of juice. Will investigate thanks for the tip.
Barry Gardner

ggidluck

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a UAD2 Flexi on Friday and hope to get it soon. I was wanting to get the heads up on what's hot. Massive Passive was definitely on the list. Good to hear some positives on the other eq's as well. All input is greatly appreciated!

Any opinions on the implementation of the SSL channel strip?

Blackwing13

• Real Full Name: Gabriel Gunawan
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a UAD2 Flexi on Friday and hope to get it soon. I was wanting to get the heads up on what's hot. Massive Passive was definitely on the list. Good to hear some positives on the other eq's as well. All input is greatly appreciated!

Any opinions on the implementation of the SSL channel strip?

What UAD2 card you'll be getting? A Solo, Duo, or Quad? For Solo, I would recommend getting the modulations and the reverbs (things that you'll likely put in auxes). UAD2 Dimension D is one of the best chorus unit I've heard, EMT Plate 140 is THE smoothest plate reverb I've heard, and their new Lexicon 224 kept my jaw open. I wouldn't recommend Fatso, Massive Passive, or Studer for Solo cards because you'll get a very few instance of UAD2 plugins in the session.

As for SSL channel strip, if you use console-style-mixing (put every SSL plugins on every channel) you might consider getting a Quad card. I use a Duo card, and 25-30 mono channels of UAD2's SSL strip in 48000hz brought the Duo on its knee. The UAD2's Neve 88RS channel strip, on the other hand is very generous on power. Compared to the Waves version, the UAD2 version is much cleaner. I would call Waves version is 'grainy' while this UAD2 version is like a refined version of Waves'.

Well I could write all day about UAD2, since I'm working daily in a studio with complete UAD2 plugins. Ask me if there's anything you would like to know.

Gabriel
working full time as a recording, editing, mixing & mastering engineer at MusikTek Studio, Indonesia.

http://www.StudioMusikTek.com

ggidluck

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »

Just the solo for now. My main focus will be mastering so I don't foresee running a lot of instances of plugins. If my needs change I can always swap in a quad card later.

I'm looking for something that can add a bit of color if needed and maybe some nice air to a mix. I have the Samplitude plugins for eq now which are really quite good, just looking for something with a bit of "vibe" as Dave put it.

Down the road I think an analog loop/compressor/eq will be in the works but I'm taking the cheap route for now and adding some UAD2 plugins to give me more options than I currently have.

Blackwing13

• Real Full Name: Gabriel Gunawan
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »

Then I would recommend Massive Passive, Fatso or Studer. But if you fancy another digital EQ, then you should demo/grab their Cambridge EQ. It does something I've never heard on other digital EQs.
working full time as a recording, editing, mixing & mastering engineer at MusikTek Studio, Indonesia.

http://www.StudioMusikTek.com

ggidluck

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 12:48:47 PM »

Thanks Gabriel. I definitely will checkout the demo.

SafeandSoundMastering

• My analogue rack
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »

Hmm... had a listen to the MP and Studer demo's, very difficult to glean anything from it to be honest. Studer when gain matched was fairly subtle (narrowing of image, slightly softened).

As I gather a solo can run 1 x MP emulation so an old card won't be much use for testing the more juicy plug ins that I wanted to try out.

Based on this and what I have been able to hear from other manufacturers I have decided to give UAD a miss this time round.

As always will re-assess the situation later on but for now I must go and have a nice little spend up with other developers products. 8)

Thanks for the info and assistance it helped me out.
Barry Gardner
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.