R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just wanna get from my computer to spdif...  (Read 12171 times)

Socrates

I just wanna get from my computer to spdif...
« on: October 13, 2006, 01:53:57 PM »

Got a couple nice gadgets like a benchmark dac, but it frosts my donuts that I need to buy some sort of complete I/O solution that just happens to have spdif or aes/ebu plugs on it for me to hook it up to a computer.

So, I really wish someone would develop a simple firewire or usb to spdif/aes dongle so I don't have to buy an indifferent sound device just to get my high-end gear talking to the computer.

What do other people do?

Using a mac mini if that has any bearing on it--so firewire or usb are the only avenues.

Oh, Mark Knutson here.
"No joke, you are the problem. YOU. your voice, your words, your ideas, your actions, stop!! Stop please!!"

Andy Peters

Re: I just wanna get from my computer to spdif...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »

Socrates wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 10:53

Got a couple nice gadgets like a benchmark dac, but it frosts my donuts that I need to buy some sort of complete I/O solution that just happens to have spdif or aes/ebu plugs on it for me to hook it up to a computer.

So, I really wish someone would develop a simple firewire or usb to spdif/aes dongle so I don't have to buy an indifferent sound device just to get my high-end gear talking to the computer.

What do other people do?

Using a mac mini if that has any bearing on it--so firewire or usb are the only avenues.

Actually: the mac mini's audio line-in 1/8" jack is also a S/PDIF optical input.  The audio headphone out is also a S/PDIF optical out.  You can get fibers with the proper 1/8"-format connector.  you'll probably have to get a media-converter to go from electrical S/PDIF to optical.  I don't know WHERE you can get such fibers, as I've never looked.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Socrates

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 03:29:49 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 15:10

Socrates wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 10:53

What do other people do?

Actually: the mac mini's audio line-in 1/8" jack is also a S/PDIF optical input.  The audio headphone out is also a S/PDIF optical out.  You can get fibers with the proper 1/8"-format connector.  you'll probably have to get a media-converter to go from electrical S/PDIF to optical.  I don't know WHERE you can get such fibers, as I've never looked.

-a

Wow. The benchmark has an optical--maybe I need to check the apple store for a light cable--since it would be so simple, I imagine it will be impossible to find.

Oh, and thanks!
"No joke, you are the problem. YOU. your voice, your words, your ideas, your actions, stop!! Stop please!!"

Ronny

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 05:34:06 PM »

Most of them aren't fiber but plastic. The 1/8" is fairly common and used mainly for portable MD players, 1/8th optical on one end and Toslink on the other. The jack on these players are dual analog and spdif, if you insert an 1/8" TRS stereo plug you'll get L and R analog outs, if you insert a 1/8" optical connector you'll get the SPdif L and R optical output. I have one that I've never used, it's 1/8" optical to Toslink and I think about 6 feet, if you have a problem finding one you can have mine for the shipping. Just contact me off list at ronny@digitakmastering.com

------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------