R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey, where does the MXL V77 fit?  (Read 15043 times)

ricknroll

Re: Harvey, where does the MXL V77 fit?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 04:05:14 PM »

LDT2 wrote on Wed, 25 October 2006 14:42

Tell us how the U67 sounds if you get a chance.

Lucio,

The U67 was sounded good, although they're a bit dark sounding, apparently because of the negative feedback used in the circuit.  I did some vocal recording with the U67 and then compared that to my Klaus-modded U87, and to be honest, I prefered the U87.  I did want to buy the U67, with the intention of having Klaus work his magic on it, but there was another guy who was willing to spend about $600 more than me on the mic, so I didn't get it.  If you ever get a chance to hear a U87 Klaus has worked on, take it - they are very nice mics.

Rick

LDT2

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 12:26:27 AM »

Rick,

I've heard about the Klaus-modded U87's but never heard one in person, but would definately if the opportunity arrises.  So the U67's are darker than the 87's, good to know.  

Yeah, I've got to take Harvey's advice and check out all these mic's for myself.

Thanks for checking back in, I appreciate it.

Lucio

Han S.

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 05:14:11 PM »

I wonder why the V77 got discontinued, for this is the best mic MXL has made so far.

Yesterday I had a jazzband and I've used the V77 on trumpet and the V69 on T-bone, together with ribbons on both. I always track trumpets, reeds and T-bones with two mics to two tracks.

The sax/clarinet was recorded with a M260 and an M149.

Anyway, the V77 did very well on Tpt and the V69 sounds really big on T-bone.

I'd like to have some five V77's at least, in my opinion they're better than most mics of chinese origine.

hargerst

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2006, 10:13:46 AM »

Han S. wrote on Sat, 04 November 2006 16:14

I wonder why the V77 got discontinued, for this is the best mic MXL has made so far.

As I understand it, MXL first started out with mics made at various Chinese mic factories.  When they became a little more successful, they started their own facility in China.  The V77 was made by somebody else, so it got dropped.  

They were thinking about reintroducing the V77, but it hasn't gotten much further than the talking stage - at least, as far as I know.

I'm not privy to their plans for new or reissue microphones.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.