R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey, where does the MXL V77 fit?  (Read 15044 times)

LDT2

Re: Harvey, where does the MXL V77 fit?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 05:03:59 PM »

Rick (ricknroll-cool forum name),

I've read a few reviews and forum replies that compared the V69 with the U47. I realize that it won't sound exactly like a U47, but  seeing that I'll never own the real thing, I'm trying to find something in a "similar" flavor, so to speak. Darker, warmer, whatever.

I know that Harvey, while specifying that they don't sound the same, has said that the V69/V67/JM47 had "similar" characteristics to the U47 (generally speaking), which is all I'm after, being realistic.

I appreciate your input into this, as it's very difficult for those of us who can't get near the real thing. That's why Harvey ( and you in this instance) are such a help.

Thanks,

Lucio

hargerst

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 10:27:57 PM »

With the right voice, you could have someone speak into a U47, and say, "Hello, this is God talking.", and many people would agree that it was indeed God talking. You don't get that "bigger than life" sound with a lot of today's mics; they're overly bright and edgy.  

The MXL V67 (and their 960) and the Joe Meeks JM47 have that kinda sound, to my ear at least.

It won't do it for every voice or for every song, but when it does work, it works great, at least to my ear, it does.

At the stupidly low prices they charge for all these mics, I really don't understand why someone doesn't have them in their mic locker, just for those special times when they are just the right mic for the job.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

LDT2

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 11:59:57 PM »

Harvey,

So would you say that all those mic's are different enough to own all of them, or is there one that would kinda cover that area by itself?

Also, would you not include the V69 in that list?  

Would you consider the V69 brighter than the V77, as mentioned by emerrill on the last page?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just really respect your opinion and experience to make good choices for mic's in this price range.

Thanks so much,

Lucio

hargerst

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 01:02:30 AM »

Studio Projects is closing out some JM47 "B" stock for $100.  That's a no-brainer for me - I'm ordering one tomorrow.

The V67 is dirt cheap on eBay and that's also pretty nice to own.

The 960 is just a cool-looking mic and even though inside, it's similar to a V69, it doesn't sound the same, and it's also very cheap.

The V69 is just a damn good mic.  It's different than the V77, but I'm happy I have both.  The 77 is a little more neutral; the V69 has more "color" (whatever the hell that means).

But they're all great sounding mics, IMO.

And the ADK Hamburg fits into this group very nicely.

LDT2

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »

Harvey,

Man, those are some great prices on those mic's! I think I'll just grab them as I can (aka, as the money comes in).

I've definately seen how different mic's work on different voices in the studio, so it can't hurt to have different "colors" to use, especially as affordable as these mic's are.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out,

Lucio

ricknroll

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 05:31:26 PM »

LDT2 wrote on Wed, 18 October 2006 14:03

I've read a few reviews and forum replies that compared the V69 with the U47. I realize that it won't sound exactly like a U47, but  seeing that I'll never own the real thing, I'm trying to find something in a "similar" flavor, so to speak. Darker, warmer, whatever.

Lucio,

I know the Tape Op review of the V69 mentioned recording an acoustic guitar with several other mics, including a U47, but at least that review didn't claim that the V69 sounded like the U47.  And I don't think Harvey has specifically claimed that either.  Besides, I don't give much weight to magazine reviews - I want to hear the thing for myself.  I'm sure we've all read in a cheap mic review something like, "The model XXX faired well against the U47/C12 I compared it to, which is impressive considering XXX costs one tenth the cost of a vintage blah, blah, blah."  I'm lucky to be in the position where I can borrow a couple of different U47s when I want to, and the V69 doesn't sound anything like a U47.  I realize most of us will never own a U47, but so far, I haven't used another mic that really sounds like one.  To be fair, I haven't used any of the U47 knock-offs like the ones made by Soundelux, Peluso, Lawson, etc.  The closest-sounding mic I have is a U47 FET, but it's obviously not the same as a VF14 U47.

If I were to buy a cheap LDC now, I would much rather get the V67 than the V69 (this based on my experience owning both).  The V69 has what I consider a nasty overly hyped high end that seems typical of many cheap LDCs, whereas the V67 is more balanced in comparison.  Also, the noise floor of the V69 is surprisingly high (although I wouldn't have been surprised by this if I had bothered to read the specs before buying one).  Replacing the tube with a tested NOS one helped the noise floor in mine a bit, but it's still the noisiest LDC I own.  I haven't used it in probably a year, and the only reason I still own it is I've been too lazy to put it up on eBay.  The whole tube thing is kind of silly in that mic, since it's a hybrid tube/FET transformerless design, which doesn't resemble the topology of the classic tube mics.  If I wanted to get a cheap bright LDC, I'd rather go with the Studio Projects B1 (I used to have one but sold it).  Cheaper, and in my opinion, sounds better than the V69.  Obviously everyone has to listen to the mics themselves and make up their own minds.

Rick

LDT2

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 12:05:04 PM »

Rick,

Yeh, those reviews can sometimes be misleading. I realize that the V69 won't sound like a U47 and by your testimony it doesn't seem that there's too much that will. I guess I'm looking for something that gets near that sound character (terminology for describing sound is very difficult, we need a standard so we all know what each other is talking about).

Now I did a side by side in the music store with the V69 and V67 and thought that the V67 was kinda muffled sounding in the upper mids which I can also hear on alot of clips that I've listened to online. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for in a mic.

I have a couple SP B1's and they sound great on some vocals and not so great on others. That's why I'm trying to find some different tools to use for different voices.

What kind of music do you usually record?

I get quite a variety of stuff here but it is usually commercial in nature. In other words, they want it to sound like current radio music, which calls for more agressive compression and pretty bright mixes. Also unfortunately for me, alot of times I working with less than idea talent, so I'm always trying to do "magic", if you know what I mean.

I'm starting to wonder more about getting the MXL960 tube mic that Harvey's been talking about. He said that it doesn't have the sheen that the V69 has, I don't know, I'd love to have 'em all but I just don't have the budget for that at this time. I guess this is "paying your dues" in a studio setting.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Lucio

hargerst

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 12:21:24 PM »

Lucio,

I don't understand the problem.  You're in Nashville, right?  There's a studio on every damn street corner there.  Rent an hour in one of the cheap places (that has a decent selection of mics) and try all their mics till you find the mic that works for you.

LDT2

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 04:11:04 PM »

Harvey,

You know I never thought of that. Sometimes the most obvious thing you miss. I guess I'm so focused on where I spend my money, but that would certainly save in the long run. I'll check around and see who has what and do just that.

Thanks again,

Lucio

hargerst

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 11:22:12 AM »

You might contact our own Dave Martin; he certainly knows what's going on in Nashville.

LDT2

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 12:16:44 AM »

Harvey,

Thanks for the ideas, I really appreciate it.

Lucio

ricknroll

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 04:35:09 PM »

LDT2 wrote on Sat, 21 October 2006 09:05

What kind of music do you usually record?

I get quite a variety of stuff here but it is usually commercial in nature. In other words, they want it to sound like current radio music, which calls for more agressive compression and pretty bright mixes. Also unfortunately for me, alot of times I working with less than idea talent, so I'm always trying to do "magic", if you know what I mean.

Lucio,

I usually record rock, but a little classical on ocassion.  I went through a series of inexpensive mics made by Rode, MXL, Oktava, and Studio Projects, thinking I could get close to the sound of more expensive mics, but when I compared those to some of the classics, I realized that for my ears at least, the cheap mics just don't come close to that great sound.  Coincidentally, I'm auditioning a U67 tonight that is allegedly in excellent condition...my own experience with gear has been that you get what you pay for, at least for most things (I do own a few RNCs and an RNLA, after all).

Rick

LDT2

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 05:42:13 PM »

Rick,

I'm sure that you're right. Part of me is afraid to hear the better mic's 'cuz I'm sure that I'll hear the difference too and then I'm screwed for the gear that I can actually afford.

I have to to it though, so I'll have a reference to strive for.

Tell us how the U67 sounds if you get a chance.

Lucio

Trumpetman2

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 10:33:10 AM »

Smile Harvey:  You like the Jomeek JM47; how does the JM37DP compare?  These are being sold for $110 and has multi-modes...

hargerst

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 10:42:07 AM »

I haven't had a chance to try the JM37 yet; they just got here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.