R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey, where does the MXL V77 fit?  (Read 15045 times)

LDT2

Harvey, where does the MXL V77 fit?
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:37:41 PM »

Harvey,

I know you're probably tired of these questions, but, as many I respect your opinion and expertice greatly. I know that you've used and liked the MXL V77 tube mic as well as many others. I recently got a V77 brand new and also love it. Now my question...

If the V69 is "similar" to a U47 and a T3 is "similar to a C12 or E251, which I consider opposite ends of the spectrum, generally speaking, where would the V77 "fit in"?

I know some have compared it to a Neuman M149, but I don't know where that lands either.

Is it "closer" to the brighter, transparent mic's or to the darker, more colored mic's? Or somewhere in between?

I'd like to get a V69, which I believe you've said in the past has a different "sound" than the V77. But I'd also like to get a brighter mic that is more in the C12-E251 area. I don't have the budget for the Hi-end mic's, so I'd like to get something with that flavor in the price range of the MXL, Studio Projects stuff. I've also looked at the JM47a but don't know if I'd want that over the V69.

I currently have...

MXL V77
Studio Projects B1 & B3
AKG C3000B (I know, I'm trying to replace this)

I also have some dynamics and small diaphram condensers, but this is mainly about vocal mic's and having a variety to use for different voices and situations.

Any enlightenment you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for all the knowledge that you've shared over the years.

Lucio

hargerst

Re: Harvey, where does the MXL V77 fit?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 12:54:51 AM »

The V77 is a very nice neutral sounding mic.  The V69 has a little more forward sounding bottom end, but not as much as the V67.

Here's a track where I used the V77 on female vocal.  The keyboard was a Kurzweil going direct, and the sax was thru a Shure SM7.  It was the end of the night and the singer asked if anybody knew this song.  The piano player said, "What key?" - and I hit record.  The singer is Barbara Dane; she was in her 70's when I recorded this in 2001:

http://itrstudio.com/pallet.mp3

I should also point out that Barbara did most of her Capitol albums in the 60's using a U47.  I think the 77 does a nice job on her voice.  No pop screen was used.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

James Duncan

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:55:54 AM »

Wow Harvey, that was very cool... thanks for sharing that! Smile
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Trumpetman2

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:46:54 AM »

hargerst wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 00:54

The V77 is a very nice neutral sounding mic.  The V69 has a little more forward sounding bottom end, but not as much as the V67.

Here's a track where I used the V77 on female vocal.  The keyboard was a Kurzweil going direct, and the sax was thru a Shure SM7.  It was the end of the night and the singer asked if anybody knew this song.  The piano player said, "What key?" - and I hit record.  The singer is Barbara Dane; she was in her 70's when I recorded this in 2001:

http://itrstudio.com/pallet.mp3

I should also point out that Barbara did most of her Capitol albums in the 60's using a U47.  I think the 77 does a nice job on her voice.  No pop screen was used.

Cool Harvey:  VERY NICE!  can I ask what your chain was for vox and the sax?  Great sound!!!

hargerst

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 07:46

Cool Harvey:  VERY NICE!  can I ask what your chain was for vox and the sax?  Great sound!!!

You're gonna be disappointed; I play by the same rules I espouse here:

Vocals: MXL V77 > Soundtracs Topaz (board preamp and eq) > RNC w/ light compression > Lexicon Alex (Setting #10 - Vocal Plate) > Tascam DA38.  (Earlier, I had tried my RCA 77DX on Barbara's voice, but it didn't sound right, so I switched to the V77 and it worked.)

Sax: Shure SM7 > Soundtracs Topaz (board preamp and eq) > Lexicon Alex (Setting #10 - Vocal Plate) > Tascam DA38

There might also be a Roland Boss SE-50 on both (that I added during mixdown), set for extra reverb (patch #22).

As I said, this was an end of session recording; the drummer had already left, Jeff Barnes (the saxplayer) and Dave (the bass player) were packing up, when Barbara asked if anybody knew "Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor".  

Lee Tamboulien, the keyboard player, was the only one who hadn't unplugged yet, since he was in the control room with me and Barbara, talking. Barbara was sitting at the console with the V77, and Lee had his keyboard set up right next to the console.

You can hear Jeff Barnes, the sax player, come in on the second verse in the complete version, not by choice, but because it took Jeff that long to unpack his sax. The SM7 was used during the regular session as a talkback mic and Jeff simply pulled it down a bit closer to his sax. I had already unplugged the 421 I used for the sax during the regular session.

This was recorded in Studio B, our small room (roughly 11'W x 12'L x7'H).  The control room is a little smaller.  Also, keep in mind that this was recorded in a double-wide mobile home, with no sound considerations, except for wall treatments, consisting of office dividers (that we picked up from a dumpster), hung flat on the walls.  

Barbara and Lee listened to the main speakers as we recorded (no phones).  Jeff, Dave, and I were all on headphones.

hargerst

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 10:53:57 AM »

Whoops, I should clarify: Effects, eq, and compression were NOT used during tracking, except for feeds to headphones.  The tracks were recorded flat and dry.  

Why?  

Because it makes it easier for me to punch in stuff at a later date if necessary.  I might use a little compression if someone is all over the place with dynamics, but I rarely record effects, or mess with eq, while tracking.  

I guess I just don't trust myself to make eq and effects decisions during tracking, without knowing how all the other later parts are gonna work together.

I usually have the Lexicon Alex (set to either #6 or #10), and the Boss SE-50 (set to #22 for vocals, or #11 for chorused guitars) hooked up for phone feeds.

LDT2

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 11:10:19 AM »

Harvey,

Thanks for such a quick reply and the great clip!

So when you say "neutral sounding", are you talking unhyped as far as brightness.etc or in terms of mic texture/color?

Would you consider the V77 to be as bright as a SP T3 or C12?

I'm trying to decide if I would need to buy something like the T3 or if the V77 covers that territory already. Know what I mean?

I love the way the V77 sounds on the right voices, but I don't have a reference to compare it to these other "brighter" mic's.

Thanks,

Lucio

hargerst

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 11:18:06 AM »

Lucio,

Yes, I consider the V77 to be fairly neutral and unhyped.  If you want to add a nice sheen to the top end (without the harshness typical of a lot of inexpensive imported mics), the Studio Projects T3 is a wonderful choice, in my opinion.

LDT2

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 11:51:06 AM »

Harvey,

Excellent!! I just don't have the $$$ to buy "redundant" sounding mic's, but I am looking for something darker and brighter that the V77 to cover all bases, so to speak.
So the V69 and the T3 should do it.

Thanks again I really appreciate it,

Lucio

Trumpetman2

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 11:56:59 AM »

Quote:

You're gonna be disappointed; I play by the same rules I espouse here:

Vocals: MXL V77 > Soundtracs Topaz (board preamp and eq) > RNC w/ light compression > Lexicon Alex (Setting #10 - Vocal Plate) > Tascam DA38.  (Earlier, I had tried my RCA 77DX on Barbara's voice, but it didn't sound right, so I switched to the V77 and it worked.)

Sax: Shure SM7 > Soundtracs Topaz (board preamp and eq) > Lexicon Alex (Setting #10 - Vocal Plate) > Tascam DA38

Harvey:  man, more to your credit as an AE....that you achieved such good results w/minimal gear.  Its uncanny, but my chain is very similar - I now have the Soundtracs Topaz (although a very small one; 12-4) and I also track onto a DA38!  Not using any compression going in though....have an RNC, might try it...thanks again for the great info and music!!

emerrill

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 04:58:43 PM »

I'll chime in and say that I have had great luck with the V77. I find it less bright than even that V69, which I never liked. It's actually the only LDC from the MXL/Studio Projects line that I find myself using over and over.

LDT2

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »

emerrill wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 15:58

I'll chime in and say that I have had great luck with the V77. I find it less bright than even that V69, which I never liked. It's actually the only LDC from the MXL/Studio Projects line that I find myself using over and over.

Really? I'd always heard that the V77 was brighter than the V69. That's interesting, I guess I'll have to do a side by side in the music store and see.  Confused

Thanks for the input,

Lucio

emerrill

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 11:26:49 PM »

I've never done a side by side comparison but that was my experience. I had some RF problems with the 69 that kept me from ever using it much. Upon reflection I realize that I should have left my statement as endorsement of the 77 rather than a comparison to others. It's very nice and has continued to be quite useful even though I now have access to much costlier mikes.

The RF problems were unique to my situation, I believe, and I don't think they're common to the microphone.

good luck with it.

rankus

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »

Sweet clip Harv!  In her seventies eh?  We may have to re-think this "youth" thing... Perhaps it's over-rated.
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

ricknroll

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 02:39:17 PM »

LDT2 wrote on Thu, 12 October 2006 20:37

If the V69 is "similar" to a U47 and a T3 is "similar to a C12 or E251, which I consider opposite ends of the spectrum, generally speaking, where would the V77 "fit in"?
I don't know anything about the V77, but I can tell you the V69ME does not sound similar to a U47, at least not a properly working VF14 U47.

Rick
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.