R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AES/EBU vs Firewire Interface  (Read 5119 times)

Tyler

• Real Full Name: Tyler Snelling
AES/EBU vs Firewire Interface
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:21:19 AM »

Hey guys!

I'm looking for some advice for upgrading my current recording rig. 

I'm trying to decide if it would be smart to go towards the AES/EBU PCIe card route, like one such as lynx or RME sells.  It seems to me like its a lot easier to get A/D and D/A converters for AES/EBU that are JUST AD and DA converters and don't have a bunch of other stuff thrown in there that kind of clutter things up 

Right now I'm doing the interface that works with a firewire card deal, and have some stuff routed thru light pipe connections.  It just seems like firewire is kind of easy to upset with other components in the computer such as wireless LAN cards or video cards.

I guess what I'm wanting to find out is this:

Is AES/EBU more stable than firewire in general?

Is AES/EBU a dying format? Or will it remain in professional environments whereas firewire will stay in home recording studios?

Is firewire on its way to kill AES/EBU and propietary interfaces like the ones used on Protools HD?

boggy

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Bogic Petrovic
  • There is no spoon...
Re: AES/EBU vs Firewire Interface
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »

Hello Tyler, I'll try to respond to your questions
Is AES/EBU more stable than firewire in general?
AES/EBU is dedicated only for digital audio interconnection, and it's stable.
Instabilities may be from drivers at host computer, but this don't have any correlation
with AES/EBU standard itself... this may be computer and driver related problem.
Is AES/EBU a dying format? Or will it remain in professional environments whereas firewire will stay in home recording studios?
I believe that he cannot die until we changed digital audio with something totally different
AES/EBU, S/P DIF (optical and coaxial) and MADI are dedicated audio interfaces,
and not general purpose computer interfaces... this means that they wouldn't changed
that fast like GP computer interfaces.
Is firewire on its way to kill AES/EBU and propietary interfaces like the ones used on Protools HD?
AES/EBU isn't a proprietary interface, it is defined in AES and EBU recommendations, including physical layer and including
protocol of communication, then AES/EBU interface will have its place until digital audio dissapear.
FireWire can be changed with USB3 or whatever... again and again... because they are general purpose interfaces
not used for digital audio only.

hope this helps

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.