R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The reality of Chicago internships?  (Read 4108 times)

TRA

The reality of Chicago internships?
« on: October 11, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »

Is it possible to obtain an intership in the Chicago area without having a degree or formal training?  I've called a few places, and was told that they get their interns solely from Columbia College, and they don't consider anyone without a formal education.  

I've been recording for about 5 years, and I have a lot to learn.  I understand that the recording business isn't a money maker, but I'm not worried about that.  I have a 9 to 5. All of my spare time is either spent reading books, reading these forums, or recording bands, and it has been that way since I started tinkering 5 years ago.  I just really want the opportunity to learn.

I couldn't afford to go to college or Full Sail so the little money I did have went into gear and books.  It is a long story why I couldn't afford school...it's not a cop out...it's actually quite sad. I'll save the sob story, and leave it at that.

I want the experience of learning how to calibrate a tape machine, use a large format console, listen to audio in a correct space.....I want to learn everything that is put in front of me.  

What do you guys think is the best way to go about this?  I was considering just booking a studio with one of my clients and be a fly on the wall.  Unfortunately, I would like more than a session worth of time to absorb everything.  

I know that the state of the business is shaky at best, and there are interns left & right trying to get their feet in the door.  That is why I'm here.  I need your advice.  So far the cold calling method hasn't worked. Some people have been really polite with their rejections, and one made me regret taking my band to his studio.  

Any help?  

Fibes

Re: The reality of Chicago internships?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 04:44:55 PM »

Personally, as a shop owner I've found the intern thing frustrating. It's a catch 22 that I feel is worth noting. If you have a 9-5 how can you dedicate yourself to the studio? If you don't have another job and the internship is unpaid how do you live?

Personally a paid internship/assistantship is the only route that works relatively consistently. If someone is unpaid how do you rely on them? Easy, you don't/can't.

Believe me when i say there is nothing more frustrating as a shop owner than to have interns show up randomly (read-never when they are truly needed), complain about not having anything "real" to do (maybe because they didn't show when they would get stuff to do), whining about not getting console time, yet aren't paying attention to any of the workings of the studio in lieu of cell phone excursions, ignoring set-up, shut up clean up duties and just plain looking at you like somehow, in thier infinite awesomeness you owe them everything you worked s hard to learn because they are in thier and thier mothers eyes, the most awesome.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

TRA

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:08:47 PM »

That is a huge pitfall.  Do you suggest that I keep on doing my thing and just pay a studio to teach me?

I mean...I want to learn this stuff because I love it.  I have a few clients that want me to record them in big facilities, and unfortunately I only know my way around a DAW.  

ebencarlson

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 01:56:21 PM »

Hi Art,

I can think of a couple things. One would be to develop relationships with studio owners and engineers through a group like EARS-chicago where you have more of an opportunity to get to know people and what they need than is possible in a cold call.

Another would be to hook up with someone interested in starting a smaller studio and paying dues that way (I actually know of one guy interested in talking to people if you'd like to email me).

A third might be to volunteer at a group like Sound Alternatives that runs a program doing sound reinforcement and recording for young people and "helping" and learning at the same time. They place summer internships for their students and may help you get one as well (?). Their info is on my links page or I can hook you up with the guy who runs it.

#1 I would say is persistance #2 a good attitude. There are lots of folks interested in this and the ones that succeed are the ones who are hungriest/have the most iniative and the best ears. Get to know folks (in person is always best), hang out on boards like this, the Electrical Audio board, and Gearslutz. Or just buy a cheapo board and start DIYing it. If you're already recording bands, you're doing the bulk of it.

Best of luck,

Eben

Fibes

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »

Quote:

#1 I would say is persistance #2 a good attitude.

That's the best place to start IMO too.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

TRA

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:53:56 AM »

White Gold Sound System wrote on Thu, 12 October 2006 12:56

Hi Art,

I can think of a couple things. One would be to develop relationships with studio owners and engineers through a group like EARS-chicago where you have more of an opportunity to get to know people and what they need than is possible in a cold call.

Another would be to hook up with someone interested in starting a smaller studio and paying dues that way (I actually know of one guy interested in talking to people if you'd like to email me).

A third might be to volunteer at a group like Sound Alternatives that runs a program doing sound reinforcement and recording for young people and "helping" and learning at the same time. They place summer internships for their students and may help you get one as well (?). Their info is on my links page or I can hook you up with the guy who runs it.

#1 I would say is persistance #2 a good attitude. There are lots of folks interested in this and the ones that succeed are the ones who are hungriest/have the most iniative and the best ears. Get to know folks (in person is always best), hang out on boards like this, the Electrical Audio board, and Gearslutz. Or just buy a cheapo board and start DIYing it. If you're already recording bands, you're doing the bulk of it.

Best of luck,

Eben

I'll be contacting you soon.  Right now I'm at work and only have a few seconds to thank you for your suggestions.  

We'll be in touch.

Kris

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 10:14:08 AM »

ArtGarceau wrote on Wed, 11 October 2006 17:08

I have a few clients that want me to record them in big facilities, and unfortunately I only know my way around a DAW.  

Book the time at a place which will provide a knowledgeable assistant to show you the ropes... win-win...

TRA

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 09:37:24 PM »

Kris,

I think that is what I might do.  Thanks for the advice.  I've been wanting to join EARS for a while now.  The problem was that I worked/live in the suburbs which would make it difficult to attend the meetings.  Now that I work in Niles (close to Chicago) it'll make things easier.  

Plush

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 09:42:04 PM »

My suggestions are to join and attend EARS, get a console and begin recording on your own and never work at a studio without getting paid.
Some pay MUST be given--even if it just defrays your transport costs.

Don't pay anyone to teach you---hang out with people who know and watch and listen to them. Each person in the recording business needs help in some way.

Cheapie studio owners who don't pay are common and to be avoided. In this country, people are compensated for their work and efforts. As far as each studio hiring only people from Columbia College that is also nonsense since many from Columbia must be re-taught.

I like the idea proposed earlier of working for a "people's studio" or somewhere like
Experimental Sound.

Don't let mopes bs you as far as paying you.

That said, most real studios in Chicago will pay you. The ones that used to be real and now are not real are running recording schools out of what was once their main room.  

It's not an easy situation.

Plush=Phonic
Hudson Fair
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/hudsonek

TRA

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 11:15:26 PM »

Plush wrote on Sun, 15 October 2006 20:42

That said, most real studios in Chicago will pay you. The ones that used to be real and now are not real are running recording schools out of what was once their main room.  

It's not an easy situation.

Plush=Phonic

Haha....you hit the nail on the head.  You'll never guess who told me to f%ck off when I called.  

I need to just start getting myself out there and I guess I should start with EARS.  

Thank you for your input. Every little bit helps.

hollis

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 12:25:11 PM »

Chicago has a thriving advertising post-production scene that pays assistants well, much better than music studios, and also does the intern thing. Try AnotherCountry/Cutters, CRC, and there's another big one that I'm missing.

Don't harp on the negative either, regarding a lack of formal recording training or any sob stories. Don't even mention it. No one wants to hear excuses right off the bat, it's a turn off. Focus on your positive and constructive qualities. Also, don't focus on YOUR want to learn, it needs to be what YOU can offer the studio. No employer in any business wants to hire people to learn about what they do, they want their employees to make them money, more efficient, and make them look good. So don't give an impression that you'll just be a dead weight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.