R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm confused about Neve stuff  (Read 50621 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Fletcher: I'm confused about Neve stuff
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 06:27:59 PM »

This from an interview with Malcolm Toft.  I don't know what magazine it apeared in.
Quote:

Walt Szalva: So, let’s cut to the chase: Are you the father of “British EQ”, and what would you define as “British EQ”?

Malcolm Topft:  Well, to tell the truth, I think that the term “British EQ was thought up by some marketing wonk or something. I definitely wouldn’t begin to call myself the father of British EQ.  I mean, if anybody is the father of British EQ, it’s Rupert Neve.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Geoff_T

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »

thermionic wrote on Thu, 12 October 2006 14:15

Quote:

This is not to, in any way, discredit Mr Neve's influence but to merely point out the presence of a team of talented (and unsung) designers.

Much as Mr Neve has done an enormous amount for the audio world and deserves respect as such, that statement is worth repeating.

Justin

Hi Justin

Yes indeed, and when I've gathered up enough photos and data on the consoles built and where they went I'll get on with that History of Neve consoles book I want to write and, from personal experiences, I'll state which engineers were involved with each module/console.

Razz
Geoff Tanner
http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0595093329/ref=sib_dp_pt/104 -6861899-0350336#reader-link

NB Please do not pm me if you want a fast response... please email me.

Curve Dominant

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 03:13:54 AM »

trock wrote on Tue, 10 October 2006 19:39

have you heard any of these new strips from Neve??

I'm not Fletcher, but we recorded the vocal for this artist using the current Neve Portico mic pre (there's an MP3 link just under the photo and to the left):

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8annv/id85.html

Listen for yourself.

Not that I'm any kind of bigtime producer/mixer, but I found this vocal track really easy to mix. IOW: No "tricks" were required to make it sound like it needed to sit in the mix just right. The Portico basically made this vocalist sound exactly what she sounds like.

trock

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 11:13:49 AM »

thanks curve

see this is where it gets confusing a little, i meant had fletcher heard any of the new strips from NEVE such as the 8801 etc, not the portico range stuff, i know he carries these and has worked with some of them

which is where i started getting confused as to what was what with Rupert Neve vs Neve vs focusrite vs what was or wasn't considered his gear.

by the way that track sounds great!

Fletcher

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »

No, I haven't heard the 8801 nor any of the other stuff Neve
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Geoff_T

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 02:53:02 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 08:54

No, I haven't heard the 8801 nor any of the other stuff Neve
Geoff Tanner
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0595093329/ref=sib_dp_pt/104 -6861899-0350336#reader-link

Curve Dominant

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 03:26:47 AM »

trock wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 16:13

thanks curve

see this is where it gets confusing a little, i meant had fletcher heard any of the new strips from NEVE such as the 8801 etc, not the portico range stuff

I understand your confusion. Let's try to sort it out.

You have to understand that Rupert Neve is a design engineer. Like any sort of designer, he is free to partner with any manufacturing company in order for that company to bring products to market. Likewise, those companies are free to use his name as a brand-stamp on those products.

AMS-Neve is one such company. Rupert Neve once partnered with AMS, shared his design concepts with them, and they manufactured products utilizing those concepts.

The AMS-Neve 88R recording/mixing console was a product of that partnership. The 8801 channel strip is an offshoot of that product: It supposedly gives you a single channel of the 88R AMS-Neve console in a single rack space unit.

Exactly how much "Neve" is in the 8801, is something your next question touches on:

Quote:

which is where i started getting confused as to what was what with Rupert Neve vs Neve vs focusrite vs what was or wasn't considered his gear.

Any piece of equipment that Rupert Neve has lent his name to, has varying degrees of "authenticity" now. The question is: What does that mean to you? Does the kit work for your needs? If it does, great! And the added cache of the "Neve" name on it means you can bandie that about to your clients, for whatever that's worth.

The Portico line is currently the closest you will come to having Rupert Neve's actual hand on the product. But don't take that as an ever-lasting endorsement of Portico.

These companies are in the business of selling fantasies. If it's got the "Neve" name on it, you buy into the fantasy that your audio will be "magic." I wouldn't get too caught up in that on the gear side. Some if these gear manufacturers are really piggy-backing on talent which they actually had nothing to do with. To wit:

Quote:

by the way that track sounds great!

Had very little to do with the gear, and very much to do with the talent. We could record Ashley with tin cans and waxed string, and you would still pay attention.

Geoff_T

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2006, 06:14:13 AM »

Quote:

You have to understand that Rupert Neve is a design engineer. Like any sort of designer, he is free to partner with any manufacturing company in order for that company to bring products to market. Likewise, those companies are free to use his name as a brand-stamp on those products.

AMS-Neve is one such company. Rupert Neve once partnered with AMS, shared his design concepts with them, and they manufactured products utilizing those concepts.

The AMS-Neve 88R recording/mixing console was a product of that partnership. The 8801 channel strip is an offshoot of that product: It supposedly gives you a single channel of the 88R AMS-Neve console in a single rack space unit.

Exactly how much "Neve" is in the 8801, is something your next question touches on:

Hi

Lordy, there's a few myths in this statement!

Here's the deal...

Rupert Neve and Co Ltd sold the company to Bonochord Group in 1973. He left in 1975.

Bonochord Group changed the name to Energy Services and Equipment.

ESE sold the company to Siemens in 1985.

This was when the V series was developed.

Siemens got P.O'd with the way Neve was being run and forced them to lay off around 300 workers and combine with AMS in 1992.

Thus Rupert had nothing at all to do with the V series, AMS, the 88R or the 8801 so there is zero, zilch, nada influence.

AMS-Neve bought themselves out of the Siemens Group and, more recently, were bought by SAE.

Mr Neve's involvement with the company ceased in 1975 other than a brief connection in 1978 to design the AIR Montserrat consoles.

Smile  

Geoff Tanner

trock

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2006, 08:29:17 AM »

Thanks geoff and curve

and the confusion grows. but you are certainly right curve, the talent has so much to do with the final product and no one piece of gear without it is going to give you that magic.

I also am realizing just because it says NEVE on it doesn;t mean it may be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Has anyone ever sorted out then what is or isn't something rupert designed? that would be an interesting list, and probably helpful to alot of the newer more naive persons such as myself

this is very interesting though, so much history in the music industry on the gear side, who knew

Geoff_T

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2006, 10:48:32 AM »

trock wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 05:29

Has anyone ever sorted out then what is or isn't something rupert designed? that would be an interesting list, and probably helpful to alot of the newer more naive persons such as myself

Hi

I think that it's better to phrase the question as to which products Mr Neve had influence in the design of. A major electronics company is not made up of one designer and the key to any successful product is team work, each member contributing their part.

Smile  
Geoff Tanner

Samc

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2006, 03:35:57 PM »

One thing I find interesting is that every company Rupert Neve has ever had anything to do with (except for the present RND), have either been bankrupt, or no longer exist.
Sam Clayton

Samc

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 11 October 2006 16:45

...To me, between the Great River stuff and the Portico stuff there is no reason to revisit the ugly grey modules with the shiney red switch cap at the top... but as always, YMMV.

So let me get this straight; only the Great River stuff which was "designed" by, Dan Kennedy (and you???), and the new RND stuff (both of which you carry by the way), are the only good and pretty "Neve" stuff......Ok
Sam Clayton

minister

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2006, 04:04:52 PM »

trock wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 07:29

Thanks geoff and curve

and the confusion grows. but you are certainly right curve, the talent has so much to do with the final product and no one piece of gear without it is going to give you that magic

curve has no idea what he is talking about...  stop listening to him and yu won't be so confused.

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Die BREMSSPUR

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2006, 05:26:08 PM »

Samc wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 21:52

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 11 October 2006 16:45

...To me, between the Great River stuff and the Portico stuff there is no reason to revisit the ugly grey modules with the shiney red switch cap at the top... but as always, YMMV.

So let me get this straight; only the Great River stuff which was "designed" by, Dan Kennedy (and you???), and the new RND stuff (both of which you carry by the way), are the only good and pretty "Neve" stuff......Ok

And as I stood alone naked and cursed the Sun,
scorching, like truth...

I for want of darkness, turned away and became
my own destruction...

For there can be no dusk without the dawn

And there can be no awakening...

Without M.A.

For it was written that those who drink from the fountain...
shall be fulfilled...

And those who wander, shall wither and know only agony...

and harvest shitty attitudes...

like teens that hate their father...

Come to the light my son...

And drink...

lemme nough..

tik
I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

Curve Dominant

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2006, 12:43:41 AM »

Geoff_T wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 11:14

Quote:

Hi

Lordy, there's a few myths in this statement!

Here's the deal...

Rupert Neve and Co Ltd sold the company to Bonochord Group in 1973. He left in 1975.

Bonochord Group changed the name to Energy Services and Equipment.

ESE sold the company to Siemens around 1984 (this is a memory stretch and I'm typing this at 3am!).

This was when the V series was developed.

Siemens got P.O'd with the way Neve was being run and forced them to lay off around 300 workers and combine with AMS in 1992.

Geoff,

Thanks for clarifying how Rupert's design concepts and name ended up with AMS attached to it. I had simplified my explaination for the sake of illustrating a larger point to the poster - which was: What's in a name?

Quote:

Thus Rupert had nothing at all to do with the V series, AMS, the 88R or the 8801 so there is zero, zilch, nada influence.

An oversimplification in itself, but have at it. I have no interest in debating the finer points of how much of a man's soul resides in a metal box full of wires and solder.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up