R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm confused about Neve stuff  (Read 50579 times)

neilio

Re: Fletcher: I'm confused about Neve stuff
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2007, 06:25:22 PM »

minister wrote on Tue, 10 October 2006 17:49

trock wrote on Tue, 10 October 2006 14:44

i ask also because some guy at sweetwater was saying how focusrite is actually Neve stuff??

the AIR studios have RN designed Focusrite stuff... the ISA 110 was a limited edition run that was inspired by the desing s of RN, and it is the only thing that really sounds good from focusrite.

actually, sir george enlisted rupert to come up with something special for the air studios, something modular, hence the 110, and why it was easy(er) to make a console out of them...they were designed to be a cold swap into any neve 80xx frame input module spots....all of the isa range is from that era, 215,115, 130 or 230...NOT the 430...the two original fortes were of a rupert involved endeavor the later 9 or so "studio" consoles were the from the second regime of ownership, but they were literally down to earth versions of the forte's so for those the rupert-ness is intact....everything since then(89-91) has absolutely no rupert in it.

Fletcher

« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2007, 02:10:40 PM »

neilio wrote on Sun, 28 October 2007 18:25

actually, sir george enlisted rupert to come up with something special for the air studios, something modular, hence the 110, and why it was easy(er) to make a console out of them...they were designed to be a cold swap into any neve 80xx frame input module spots....

They were designed to fit in the slot a vacated 1064, 1081, or more appropriately 31105 [as Air Monserat had one of the last of those... which was a VERY custom desk]... BUT the back plane connector resembled nothing that had ever been built into a Neve desk ever... and the modules ran on bi-polar 16 vdc meaning that the installation of the ISA-110 modules to the Air Monserat desk would have absolutely required some serious alterations to the desk itself for them to work.

Now I don't know why this is bouncing around in the back of my head... but for some reason I do not believe those modules were created to drop into an 80xx anything... if my memory serves me right [and let's face it... there have been a lot of years and a lot of drugs since there was even a studio on Monserat]... those modules were created to make the SSL sound better [spelled: u-s-e-a-b-l-e]... not the custom Neve desk.

My memory may play tricks on me... but I could swear that those modules were built to be used with SSL.

CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Geoff_T

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »

Hi

My memory plays tricks all the time but I think that comes with the territory of being 60+... that's my excuse, anyway.

The AIR Montserrat consoles certainly ran on bi-polar +/-15v supplies and used 31106 modules in the channels in conjunction with a 34427 remote control mic amp.

My memory is that Rupert built a side car of his modules for the UK AIR studio with a view of them re-equipping the console if they were liked (that's the part I'm flaky on) but it was the general consensus that they preferred the 31106's to the Focusrite channels and left the console as it was, except for keeping the the Focusrite  add-on section.

Another flaky part of my memory is that I believe the Focusrite modules were bi-polar supply also so might have dropped in the console. I recall the bi-polar bit because, somewhat indirectly, I designed a custom bi-polar rail 5 amp power supply for (post Neve) Focusrite. I know it worked and they purchased it but heard no more about it.

Smile  
Geoff Tanner
http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0595093329/ref=sib_dp_pt/104 -6861899-0350336#reader-link

NB Please do not pm me if you want a fast response... please email me.

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2007, 07:04:01 PM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Tue, 10 October 2006 13:58

But enough about christianity...

I literally spit water out of my mouth all over my screen and control surface after reading this!  hhahahahaha  That was great!  Totally unexpected!  Good one!
Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

MagnetoSound

« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2007, 04:21:41 PM »

Geoff_T wrote on Thu, 25 October 2007 17:56

The irony is that Rupert Neve owned a large amount of land to the rear of the Melbourn factory and, after the takeover, the new owners sold off that land for mega$$$$ and a science/industrial park was built there.

I wonder if Rupert had sold the land and invested the $$$ in the company, he might still be running it?

I think that is so sad. Just imagine what might (not) have been!
A reflection on the madness that has afflicted manufacturing (and property prices) in the UK for so long.

Confused

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

neilio

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2007, 10:38:19 PM »

all evidence to the contrary fletch f. fletch, i used a focusrite STUDIO console for a long time,and those modules either the 110's or the aux send modules were exactly the size of the taxidermied 1073 we had in the rack of studio...the psu and connectors were different so it wouldve taken some finagling to make them work , but physically they were the same...

now ive never seen an ssl b series before, but i am sure they were more like the current ssl modules are...being at the time of ff, late 70's/early 80's...the e/g didnt exist yet...

the focurite i knew and loved(now taxidermied itself)so well, it was interesting to see how much of the design,especially of the center section and all the neat little things it was capable of,made it into the 9000j, incestuous indeed,as from what ive heard,when the second incarnation of ff went broke,ssl hired away most its design staff...

ive never seen or even heard a forte,but an ex coworker of mine here in chino used tech one over in N.Y. but i think he told me through the haze of lit kent, that he had never recorded with it.

damn.

Re: I'm confused about Neve stuff
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2008, 03:43:17 PM »

Im  interested in  the 5534 and  anything  you  want to share would  be  appreciated...

any  particular  brands/replacements  favored  ~ JRC  etc...??

any pin out  similar  substitutions  you  could recommend...??

sorry  if  a  5534  treastise   exists somewhere  and  I  missed  it

thanks Don

Fletcher

Re: I'm confused about Neve stuff
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2008, 06:27:43 AM »

Wow... a day shy of 11 months apart and there are two posts that make no sense in a row.

Amazing!!
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.