R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP VIII Techniques And Unmaskings Of Perpetrators  (Read 7497 times)

chrisj

WUMP VIII Techniques And Unmaskings Of Perpetrators
« on: October 10, 2006, 01:53:13 AM »

Time to rip off the masks and be done with the silly thing...

I try harder because I was #0002 Very Happy

My whole concept for this was, 'this is black metal or something. They can't mean it to sound full and lush. I gotta make it extremely ugly, evil and ratty.'

Mission accomplished! Laughing

This is mostly down to throwing on a bunch of gain (nearly 7 db) and using different stages of gain reduction. Compression engages in loud bits, there's limiting, then there's some clipping on top of that. I did get bloody loud for an entry in which the dynamics increased, rather than decreased, with volume... nobody who sounded better (dynamics, etc) also came with the volume. This did not help me though as my sins were in EQ.

The EQing was all about high boosts, though there is some low boosting below 81 hz. There is actually -1.7 db shelf below 180 hz- yes, I actually took lowmids out to pursue my nefarious plan! Most boosting above 1.2K (3.42 db shelf) with another 1.5 above 6.8K and nearly another db above 8.6K. I'm de-essing (acceleration limiting/slew limiting) a bit to try and keep the obnoxious hi-hats from slicing anybody too badly.

Terrible job, lads. Cheers Very Happy next time I'll not be so quick to decide the track is black-metal. The guy who made everything have a huge scale did a lot better than me trying to make it savage and dry-sounding. A worthy lesson.

Luke Fellingham

Re: WUMP VIII Techniques And Unmaskings Of Perpetrators
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 06:54:08 AM »

Ok, I have to confess that my entry was 4242 and I agree I made it too loud. I think that the level and subsequent distortion which people were objecting to came from hitting the Inflator plugin too hard at the end of the chain.

The rest of what I did was pretty standard. I just eq'd and (lightly) compressed before hitting the limiter (2dB reduction) and then the inflator.

I'll assume for now that no one is majorly interested in my exact settings.

Although most mixes have things about them I that I wish were diferent I can usually find something I like about them and build on that. Unfortunatley with this one I couldn't really find anything I liked about it. Maybe that's why I smashed it too hard.

Oh well - Hopefully the next wump will be a more enjoyable experience.

NoWo

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:53:17 AM »

Hi guys,

the best loved 2010 is me. Really funny that someone assumed it was a t-racks preset, and chrisj assumed two Pods in a row... maybe I should contact these companies to write some presets for them.  Very Happy

In fact it was much more complicated. In round1 I raised the level within SX3 to about 6dB, the sound was still 1:1 compared with the original, but now sounded really bad that loud.
I gave it a round2 within PT-M and unfortunately inserted a Sansamp plug to give it slightly more distortion. At this point I lost control and of course the track.
In a round3 within SX3 or Wavelab I tried to rescue as much as I could, otherwise it would have been even worse than it turned out to be.
When I upped my version it was pretty clear to me that this time I lost the game completely, but I did not want to be a coward. At this point I normally would have started the whole treatment again, but I had lost interest and any strength to rescue this track.

Expect much more from me the next time.  Smile
Sorry for ruining some ears.  Crying or Very Sad

Norbert

P.S.: Hi Luke, it seems like I always like your style.  Smile

ATOR

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:14:12 AM »

NoWo wrote on Tue, 10 October 2006 14:53

... and unfortunately inserted a Sansamp plug to give it slightly more distortion.

I think you're the only one crazy enough to run a mix through a guitar amp sim  Laughing

You should get one of these, it was made for you:

Culture Vulture

Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

NoWo

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »

ATOR wrote on Tue, 10 October 2006 15:14

NoWo wrote on Tue, 10 October 2006 14:53

... and unfortunately inserted a Sansamp plug to give it slightly more distortion.

I think you're the only one crazy enough to run a mix through a guitar amp sim  Laughing

You should get one of these, it was made for you:

Culture Vulture

Hi Ator,

looking cool . Smile  Maybe I will use it on some country stuff... or your HipHop track which is coming up. Mr. Gardner will rise his eyebrows  Very Happy

Crazy... nah, I would call myself creative. If the mix is lost only half I give it the rest.

Norbert

aivoryuk

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 12:49:52 PM »

mine was 1980

opened audio montage wavelab

started off with going m/s with (rough settings can't remember exactly)
PLP eq quality 3
mid eq 798Hz -2.91 narrow q
side eq 1098 Hz +3.0 medium q
       135Hz -2.7 medium q

algorithmix red xtra quality
102 Hz +1 medium q
560Hz +0.5 mediumish q
1000Hz +1 wide q
3500Hz -1 mediumish q
11500Hz +2.5 medium q

PSP mastercomp
the track was already pretty compressed so didn't want to do too much but there were a couple of peaks i wanted to tame a bit more
ratio 4.00
threshold -5.95
attack 125ms
auto release and make up
link 50%
fat on
literally just 1 db max GR most of the time it wasn't on

wavelab faders +6.75
benchmark out into tc electronic a/d max peak- 1.3
captured in samplitude
soft clipper gain 1.3 output -0.3 so actually there is no limiting/soft clipping of sorts
fade added and dithered with powr3

and there you have it

think i def would have cut the lower mids a lot more to sort out some of the mud. didn't take me all that long although the bass end took a couple of attempts as im still get used to the benchmark. I already knew i was going to make it loud, so i have no apologies for slamming it. but compared to a lot of commercial releases its still a bit quiter but i think most of that is due to the mix and where all the energy is placed.
pretty enjoyed this one  Smile

present

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 02:04:22 PM »

Mine was 0610

I thought it would be fun to try and use only eq, no compression.

The mix wanted to be big and loud, but it sounded quite compact.
So my aim was to give it some air to breathe, and in the meantime have a little fun with the stereo image.

The result...well...

BTW I don't think this track was black metal, really.
I thought it more in the vein of Tool or Rage Against the Machine.

all ITB this time, done in Wavelab

First off:    Sonalksis eq  HPF @ 20Hz

Mid/Side eq:

Mid Channel -    PSP Neon HR  +2dB @ 59Hz, Q 1.6
              -0.7dB @ 300Hz, Q 1
              +1.2dB @ 1.2kHz, Q 0.6

Side Channel -   PSP Neon HR  -5dB @ 30Hz, Shelf 0.71
              +1dB @ 2.4kHz, Q 0.8
              -4dB @ 6.4kHz, Q 1.6

Master Section- Sonalksis eq +0.5dB @ 80Hz, Q 0.6
              -3dB @ 200Hz, Q 1.6
              -0.8dB @ 1.2 kHz, Q 1
              -1dB @ 6.6 kHz, Q 1
              +0.5dB @ 4.4 kHz, Shelf 0.71

PSP Neon     +3dB @ 16kHz

Voxengo Elephant, AIGC-3, Faster, 1-2dB GR on peaks

And then:

Izotope Megabit dither to 16 bit,
topped & tailed, shave & a haircut, 2p.

Had fun doing this, but it took me too long.

I think there were some really good entries in there, and all comments were really nice and insightful.

So, on to the next one!

Rogier

Ged Leitch

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 07:08:41 PM »

Hi guys, mines was 2255

well I liked this tune, for me there was a wee bit of sharpness to the cymbals and the bottom end - mainly parts of the bassline were poking out.

So>>>

PLPar EQ

- 2db @ 80hz    Q 1
+ 1db @ 125hz   Q 1
+ 2db @ 2Khz    Q 1
- 1.5db @ 5Khz  Q 1
+ 2db @ 19Khz   Q 0.4

then>>>

Ozone Multiband dynamics

Three bands...

Crossovers @ 315hz   and   3.4Khz

Basically taking off no more than a couple of db's in each band.

attack 20ms   release 80ms   each band.

then a little...

Steinberg Magneto

Input 0    output 0
Tape speed @ 30ips
Drive @ 9.5 (the level is about the same when A/B'ing when the drive is set to 7)

Not using Magneto for level, just to tame some peaks to prevent to much clipping, as im about to do this>>>>

>>>>>+3db of gain on wavelab master fader
(some clips - max about 1db)

Then re-import for 2db of limiting with Ozone Limiter set to brickwall and intersample peak prevention ON.

UV22HR dither to 16bit.

Thats it.
And if it wasn't for me getting caught up in my guitar practicing I may have been able to do better, but hey, I like my shred!
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

lucidwaves

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:05:14 AM »

Hello, my name is Aaron Hall and my entry was 7776.  It suffered from too much high-mids and highs.  This was a result of trying to master with a head cold.  

I know that there is no excuse for my actions and I want to publicly apologize for any damage my reckless mastering may have caused anyone.  I promise to never do it again.

~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

present

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 07:00:39 AM »

Laughing  Laughing

Bless you!

Ged Leitch

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 12:32:51 PM »

lucidwaves wrote on Thu, 12 October 2006 05:05

Hello, my name is Aaron Hall and my entry was 7776.  It suffered from too much high-mids and highs.  This was a result of trying to master with a head cold.  

I know that there is no excuse for my actions and I want to publicly apologize for any damage my reckless mastering may have caused anyone.  I promise to never do it again.

Jeezuz Aaron, no need to apologize, it's only a song man,
I've heard your work before and was always impressed with it!
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Ed Littman

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 04:26:58 PM »

Mine was 0007
clearly over cooked on the mids, but I still think a great technique to bring out the growl in the guitars. & with all that I could have added more high end with the algorithmix.

Dangerous S&M Box
center IBIS
165hz -2db smallQ
139hz +3db wideQ
2.35k +.5 midQ
10k +6db wideQ

sides
220hz +6db with color source at 4
20k +6db wide Q

algorithmix orange eq
42hz +8db small/midQ
758hz +2db

lucidwaves

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 10:25:46 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Thu, 12 October 2006 09:32

Jeezuz Aaron, no need to apologize, it's only a song man,
I've heard your work before and was always impressed with it!

I know, I was embellishing.  Seriously though, I wanted to pull my entry after listening again with good ears.  Would never have tried that on a real client.
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

mbruce333

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 10:26:22 PM »

I am the very guilty owner of 2323.  Overall I was OK with mine, but I wasn't able to get it where I wanted...sounds like I'm not alone..whew!

Here goes...

In Wavelab:
   Waves LinEQ Low band, just a HP filter @ 32hz.  I knew I was going to try and get a little more low end out of it and I wanted to make sure I wasn’t getting any garbage along with it.

Waves Q10.  Trying to carve out little pieces of mud without doing too much damage to the body of the tune….
I did small 1-2db narrow Q cuts @ 153, 207, 287, 472hz.
I added a low shelf of 4db starting at 100hz to try and get some low end goodness going, when I did all this, the bass started to sound pretty uneven in the little 3-note decending patter that it does quite a lot, so a very tight notch @76 with Q=33.9(!) seem to help out a bit.

Cranesong HEDD to get out to my usual suspects…

Manley Vari-Mu,
   The mix seemed pretty compressed already, so not much going on here, max 2db of GR.

Millennia NSEQ-2,
   Only used the top two bands, in tube mode for a change.  I cut 2db around 1k, Q=08, trying to get some harshness out of the cymbals.
   High shelf @16k, +3.5db..trying to get some high end in this thing, but not wanting to try and get it al from one place.

DBX Quantum,
   Just used the M/S EQ:
Mid:  +2db low shelf @100hz, again trying to fill out the low end a bit
   -1db @223hz, Q=1.5…more mud removal
Side:   -2.5 Shelf @100hz, trying to make a little room for the lows in the middle
   +2.5db shelf @11.5K….is there any air up there???

Crane Song HEDD A/D:
   Triode=4
   No pentode
   Tape=3.5

Back in Wavelab some master section plugs…

Believe it or not….BBE Sonic Maximizer!  It just helped the high end in a way I couldn’t really get any other way…if used sparingly, that is.  No low contour, and the process set at 1.5.

Voxengo Elephant2, giving me an added 1-2 db of limiting. 4X oversampling
Waves L2, doing the same.  1-2 db of GR and Type 1 dither.

That’s about it!  Overall, this was kinda tough to get working, but hey, it was a good learning experience, that’s for sure.  It was hard listening to the other entries and not get my ears skewed towards the muddy side starting normal.  Also, as someone else noted, this tune will never sound as loud as many commercial CD’s.  The RMS may say it’s as loud, but my ears say differently!  But, it’s all good.

On the next one!!
Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

cerberus

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 12:44:57 AM »

i saw the 2114 master "happen".  this time, i let my plug-ins make most of the dynamics decisions,  i had a blast watching the bright orange meters light up.

jeff dinces
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.