R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: greetings, thoughts on J.Hall, and why i just didn't get it a couple years ago  (Read 2414 times)

bryanarchy

Hey Guys,

I joined prosound quite a while ago, but never really felt too compelled to post or participate. I think i felt underskilled and overwhelmed by the caliber of the other posters. It's been a couple years, and I've grown a bit as an engineer, got past the "need for gear to solve my shortcomings" thing and am now pretty happy with the path where i'm going.

Anyways, I haven't been on here for a very long time. This weekend i had a really slow-moving session. Lots of the band sorting out arrangement issues, etc. So I sat and waited and surfed the internet. Going through my ancient bookmarks, i came upon this forum.

I realize that in many ways, i just didn't get this forum years ago. I, like many people getting into recording, thought about the best gear to fuss over, what so-and-so is using and so on. I think it's way easier to think about these things because everyone has the latest greatest thing to sell and the hype is hard to miss. The mechanics of recording are still very important, but not nearly as important as you would think they are reading other forums. I'm also at a point where this stuff makes more sense to me. Basic tracking is now second nature for me so it's a lot easier to think more about how to capture the mood of a drum kit rather than stressing over worry about phasing, clipping or whatever.

After reading through posts in this particular forum over this long session, i realized that this is the sort of place where i should want to be. The fact people are addressing things like the philosophy behind recording, talking about moods, etc is awesome and frankly I didn't expect it. After downloading some of the IMP stuff (without having ANY idea what it was about, and still not 100% sure) and reading the accompanying thread, I realize that this forum stands out in that people are truly trying to help other people improve through kind words and honest criticism.

So in short, i'm really happy i rediscovered this place and hope I can find some way to contribute to this community. I'm also really happy to see some of the people I had a lot of respect for still posting here too!

Bryan

rankus

Ah, your just being polite cuz your Canadian...  Cool

I kid, I kid.... welcome back! You made the right decision.
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

THANKS!!!!

i've a big effort over the years to do something with this forum that i felt was important.  i think the collection of forums here on REP is the best out there for filling specific needs.

i just get so bored with gear talk, and i'm so much more excited about discussing what makes music so special and how we can better do our jobs to enhance that quality.

glad you came back!

IMP is all about learning how to better your mixing skills through a "real world" simulation type event.

bryanarchy

Thanks guys!

Like i said, it's really exciting to see people talking about recording stuff i can really identify with, not to mention music i can relate too. I love all sorts of music, but the most exciting stuff is always on the fringes of popularity.

I look forward to participate in an IMP (if there's gonna be more) and getting a little outside input on improving.

cheers!

b

cerberus

hey!

since there were two imp5  tracks to choose from and i only did one, i am working on garretg's "northern lights" in my spare time,  i never listened to the other mixes of this track, so it's like a "ghost imp" for me.  

j. always finds different challenges for us: in this case i am attempting to equalize  the rubato timing to have a constant tempo. (garret provided a midi file with the correct tempo changes, which is very helpful!)

jeff dinces

M Carter

Agreed, the REP forums are by far the best out there.

I've learned alot from people here, and the vibe stays positive since the mods rule with an iron fist.  

In a good way, of course.
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.