R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio dilemma  (Read 6152 times)

stickmanly9

Studio dilemma
« on: October 08, 2006, 08:12:33 PM »

Hello Francis,
I am a drummer in LA and I have just built a 350 sq ft recording studio in my yard. The studio is comprised of two rooms - a tracking room which is approx. 16x19 (13 ft ceiling angled downward to 9 ft.)and a very small control room - used only for a tracking engineer.

The tracking room sounds great for recording; but within my construction budget -- I was advised by my architect to only put a double wall between the tracking and control room. The tracking room is double drywall and insulation (and every inch of the gaps are sealed w/ acoustical sealant). In addition,there are two locking solid-core doors between the two rooms and one solid core from the control room -- to the outside world. (Therefore, the tracking is isolated from the outer door). I have attached a early construction picture for your review.

However, the tracking room still does not provide enough isolation to allow me to work late at night (past 10p.m.) w/o disturbing my neighbors.With this in mind, I do not have the budget to double wall the tracking room; but I am wondering if mass vinyl, a layer of sound board and an add'l layer of sheet rock would cut the sound enough for late night work. As it stands right now the inside of the tracking room (while playing) is 115db and the outside of the structure measures 75 db.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Donny

franman

Re: Studio dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:52:58 PM »

So in broad terms you're getting around STC-45.. You need to double the mass of the wall to add 6dB (once again in broad terms).. I would suggest adding two additional layers to the inside of the Live Room wall assuming it's one layer now..(even if it's two).. Put on a layer of 5/8" MDF (nice and heavy) and 5/8" Gyp Bd.. Another advantage of adding the MDF is (as your budget allows) you can screw in framing for finishes anywhere you want not having to worry about finding studs. As always, glue and screw all layers and offset seems and overlap joints. Make all joints tight as possible and look for any other "leaks"... seal everything up tight as possible! It only takes a couple of small holes to turn you isolation wall into swiss cheese!! I avoid the vinyl membrane in "sandwich" walls because it's all about mass at this point and the vinyl doesn't weight anywhere near as much as the MDF or the Drywall....Also, remember the ceiling is just as important as the walls!!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

stickmanly9

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 01:26:23 PM »

Hello Francis,
Thanks for your time, effort and in-depth reply. I do appreicate it!  
Donny

franman

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 02:59:51 PM »

no problem... send check, cash and money order to:
Francis Manzella
PO Box 666,
Wish You Were Here
BWI

(yeah... I wish!!)
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

floodstage

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 11:10:17 AM »

franman wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 14:59

PO Box 666,
Wish You Were Here
BWI

Isn't that Compasspoint's address?

Smile

stickmanly9

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »

Hello Again Fran,
I just wanted to check in (albeit after a long absence) and "re-thank-you" for your help.

I took your advice and my drum studio has been soundproofed for sometime. And after some DIY bass panel and trap work - as well as many late night mic'ing experiments-- its sounding really good! (All w/o disturbing my neighbors).

I just ripped the place apart to install PTHD and remembered that I never sent you picts of the completed job!

SO -- You can view some picts here:
(The drum room is nicely sized - and I have a very small control room (I use that term loosely) -- as my main focus is tracking....

[url]http://donnygruendler.com/gallery/the-studio/

Thanks again for your efforts and I hope you have a great weekend,
Donny

stickmanly9

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »

Hello,
I just updated my site. So here is the new studio picture link:

http://donnygruendler.com/about-4/the-studio/http://donnygruendler.com/about-4/the-studio/

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »

floodstage wrote on Tue, 17 October 2006 11:10

franman wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 14:59

PO Box 666,
Wish You Were Here
BWI

Isn't that Compasspoint's address?

Smile

Not exactly, but I will be happy to accept any money on behalf of Fran!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.