R/E/P > Dan Lavry

Digidesign White Paper

(1/7) > >>

obyone:
Hi guys,

I am surprised that no one has mentioned anything about the new white paper that digidesign have posted on their website about clock and jitter (in the news section).

If you do have time to read this Dan, I would love to get your comments about it!

Kind Regards!!!

Denis

Ronny:

I quick read it, well more like scanned it, my first impression was that it was an honest and well written article and I didn't notice anything that was off base nor speculative and even counter speculative. They even say that the 192k internal clock can have more jitter than clocking from an external in some cases. I find the conclusion section to mirror the views of many folks on this forum. The writer of the article obviously knows that psychoacoustics play a key role in misevaluating audio gear. He doesn't come right out and say it, but I get the impression that he knows there is a lot of hype from manufacturers that rely on power of suggestion and not always totally false, but round about or misleading information to sell their wares.

Here's the direct link, to save time searching the site.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/news/docs/WhitePaper_ClockJitt er_30863.pdf

Etch-A-Sketch:
I read the paper, and was under the impression that they were saying the 192 will have higher jitter when using an External clock, not that it has a higher jitter than other external clocks...

Ronny:
Etch-A-Sketch wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 17:58
I read the paper, and was under the impression that they were saying the 192 will have higher jitter when using an External clock, not that it has a higher jitter than other external clocks...

I said "in some cases" and was referring to page 13 quoted from:  

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/news/docs/WhitePaper_ClockJitt er_30863.pdf

"dedicated clocks use non-PLL’ed XOs and can have lower amounts of jitter compared to the 192’s PLL’ed internal clock. But since all sources pass through the 192’s PLL, all clocks assume a similar spectrum above the loop filter corner frequency."

Socrates:
Its been a long time since I discussed such matters, but I recall that the cable from the dedicated external clock can introduce jitter of its own....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version