R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: nearfield monitor suggestions?  (Read 23340 times)

Michael Nielsen

Re: nearfield monitor suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 10:48:48 PM »

I'm sure CLA could and does amazing mixes on NS-10's, he has reported in EQ magazine that his "B" set of monitors is M&K MPS-2510P monitors ($1,999 each), an MPS-5410 subwoofer ($2,999).  

Fletcher

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2006, 08:03:35 AM »

NS-10's are a great tool if you're used to working with them... what people fail to realize is that NS-10's were kinda introduced to the world as "Hi-Fi Auratones" not as "wow these are bitchin' monitors".  It was all about finding balances, which if you know how those speakers react to well balanced mixes you'll understand how they're a very useful "balance tool".

Personally, if I didn't have a nearfield set on which I relied rather heavily for "getting sounds" then I would be more than happy with a set of NS-10s... the thing is you have to change the woofer like every 6-8 weeks if you turn them up at all and the tweeter like once a year or they're going to get rather 'confusing' sounding.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

brett

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »

so what are some alternatives to NS-10's for a hi-fi auratone speaker that won't need a new woofer and tweeter every time you crank them?

littlehat

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2006, 01:37:10 AM »

My advice... get bigger and louder speakers for cranking.
I use the NS-10s at a little louder than speaking volume, switch to the mains for cranking, they deliver the good loudly (unlike nearfields).
Push the RED button!

odysseys

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 07:39:03 AM »

aeser wrote on Tue, 03 October 2006 18:24

my tannoy reveals are blown now. i need new monitors. i'd prefer active monitors in the $1000 (per pair) or less range. especially any with better bass response than the reveals.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mixing everything from electronic breakcore to death metal to indie rock on them.

My tannoy precision 8s are great for everything.Just give'em a listen.My opinion is that it's a more "elegant" reveal with more bass,and in your case it's a shorter learning curve.

Ps.I know the sound of the reveals because i used to sell them!

Cheers.
Good take is all it takes.

daveseviltwin

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 12:11:44 PM »

Adams, Focals, Dyn etc. should give you a good start but of course as said before don't buy before you try. We all like different gear.
David S
Aspiring Recording Engineer/Working FOH, Monitor Engineer and Lighting Tech/Commercial Installation

mcolbert

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 03:25:52 PM »

did i mention Dynaudio BM-6a'a
Smile
listen...do you smell something?

brett

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 01:55:03 PM »

mcolbert wrote on Mon, 09 April 2007 20:25

Smile

BM6A-II's seem to go a little deeper.

Oldfart

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 10:37:41 PM »

brett wrote on Thu, 12 April 2007 13:55

mcolbert wrote on Mon, 09 April 2007 20:25

Smile

BM6A-II's seem to go a little deeper.

Could it have something to do with the fact that they are powered differently? (less powerfull at the top)

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

brett

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 11:48:17 PM »

I don't know, i was just looking at the specs. I read on a thread that a guy uses the passive BM6 because they have a port in the back and it adds an octave on the bottom over the BM6A? checking the specs they roll at 43k which is higher than the BM6A's 41hz and the MKII's 40k. this is all just specs and not listening so for what it's worth....

However, the BM6 can take more power and go much louder and thus he may feel the bass more in the lower octaves. I dunno though, just guessing.

I checked the specs on the new BM6A MKII. Yes they have only 50w on the top as apposed to the 100w of the predecessor. But the speaker volume is increased from 9.5 liters to 11.7. The crossover has been lowered from 2200 to 1500hz. Less gain, more volume, deeper bass! It's a trade off from higher spl for deeper bass and possibly messing up the low mids by bringing the crossover into a more critical area. They only go to 115db instead of the 118db of the mkI.

I don't crank my monitors so a deeper, And less distorted low end is more important to me than pushing them over 105db on a loud day.  

Anyone A/b the MKI and MKII, and what about the passive dynaudio nearfeilds? BM6 BM15 compared to their amped siblings?

mcolbert

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2007, 01:40:01 AM »

i have mixed on BM-6A's and BM-6's. i like them both. the BM-6's were augmented with subs so its not a fair comparison...
a rep for dynaudio actually told me that the  BM-6A MK-II's don't sound as good as the BM-6A's.
listen...do you smell something?

Oldfart

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2007, 06:02:22 PM »

mcolbert wrote on Fri, 13 April 2007 01:40

i have mixed on BM-6A's and BM-6's. i like them both. the BM-6's were augmented with subs so its not a fair comparison...
a rep for dynaudio actually told me that the  BM-6A MK-II's don't sound as good as the BM-6A's.

When I asked a rep about the differences between the two at an Expo last week, he told me: "there's a reason why we are keeping the originals". He then smiled !

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

burp182

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2007, 06:12:59 PM »

If you are comfortable with Auratones, listen to the Avantone Mixcube. They took some time messing with the box and driver. It shows. I put a set on top of my Auratones and I think most any Auratone fan could adjust to the minor differences and feel pretty confident in about 10 minutes. Nice job.

brett

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2007, 11:12:23 PM »

burp182 wrote on Fri, 13 April 2007 23:12

If you are comfortable with Auratones, listen to the Avantone Mixcube. They took some time messing with the box and driver. It shows. I put a set on top of my Auratones and I think most any Auratone fan could adjust to the minor differences and feel pretty confident in about 10 minutes. Nice job.

I actually have some Avantones. I like them, but haven't figured out how to use them yet. I mixed on them and my bottom of coarse was jacked up but they are not for that. the mids did translate but my highs were too hot. I just need to learn them. I have only done one mix on them so far and they are  not even hooked up right now.

I was thinking of moving from the Roland DS90's to a pair of BM6's or BM6A's or some focal solo6 with the Avontones and stereo subs. That would give me some options.

But since starting my nearfeild search, I have since added some serious bass trapping and my room sounds so much better and the rolands have a low end that I have never been able to hear before. So, most of my monitor issues were actually room issues. I added 8" from floor to ceiling at the front, a 4'x'4'x12" broad band absorber on the side, and I am adding another 12" deep broadband at the rear and rear corners. The ceiling is getting a 6" above the mix postion. I am pretty sure I'll be able to mix on what I have once the room is done but it wouldn't hurt to demo some monitors.

I have seen the BM6A's go on ebay and craigs list for 1000-1200. not  a bad deal if you can find them. When the room is done I'll be demoing the focals and the Dyn. But I am keeping the rolands as well.  

garret

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2007, 12:08:40 AM »

I got a pair of avantones a few days ago... so far so good!  The clarity and imaging in the mids are remarkable.. far far better than I had (note past tense) with my m-audio bx5s.  After having the amp die one of the bx5s for the second time, I figured it was worth having a second set of _something_.  A better set of monitors in is my future, but I figured for $200, what the heck, get the avantones.

I'm honestly thinking of just mixing on the avantones.  We'll see how it goes... I have a 12" subwoofer that I can use to check the low end, and the combination of it with the avantones is surprisingly good.

I have to agree with others, though... The creamy yellow color is awful... dang... I thought from pictures they'd be arctic white or something?   It's not yellow enough to be yellow, and not white enough to be a white.  Just an odd color...  Smile

-Garret

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 16 queries.