R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smallest recommended control room  (Read 4598 times)

audiothings

smallest recommended control room
« on: September 29, 2006, 12:06:20 AM »

greetings!

i'm thinking retiring my current studio and moving to a slightly bigger space, but it'd still have to be quite small Sad

my question: what would be the minimum recommended size (before acoustic treatment) for an accurate control room? (it should be able to handle the unreal bass of contemporary music reasonably well.)

How does 18'x14'x10' (before treatment)and 14'x10'x8' (after treatment) sound? The shell will be 9" brick wall... and i'm more interested in accuracy, than isolation.

of course, i realize that its going to be a compromise, no matter what, but whats a reasonable compromise?

thanks,

jai shankar.

franman

Re: smallest recommended control room
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 01:50:09 PM »

We have built control rooms with "full extension" (limited by the loud speakers) in those size ranges.. even the smaller one. I'm out in the field now working on a 14x12x9 room that has very good LF extension. 14' is still 1/4 wavelengh at 20Hz or so. Of course, you do need to have good proportions to expect accurate and even bass response.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

innesireinar

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »

Hi Francis, I'm new on this forum section.
First of all, thank you for your knowledge and experience !!!
A question:
By reading the Alton Everest book "studio construction on a budget"
I've noticed a table with the better proportion a room would have.
I wonder if those dimensions have to be considered gross or net (before or after treatment material).

Thank you.

ranieri senni  

franman

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 08:37:01 PM »

Room proportions are always considered using the Gross room dimensions (before treatments)... The hard boundaries that are significant to LF....

I also have a list of "preferred" room proportions that I refer to BUT you really have to run the numbers based on your actual room dimensions. Typical proportions don't always work for all room sizes as the modal distribution is based on distance between modes which is affected by overall room size... what works in a small rooms as far as proportions, might not work in a larger room all the time.. follow me?
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

innesireinar

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 11:21:16 AM »

Thank you for this.
Maybe I'll move to other location and sometimes I think about my new studio. I've tried to simulate two rooms that could be right for my new control room:

A with 1 - 1.6 - 2.33 ratio
300(h)
480(w)
699(l)

B with 1 - 1.8 - 2.33 ratio
300(h)
540(w)
699(l)

By showing all standing wave's freqs (fondamental + n. harmonics up to 300 Hz) in ascending order I've noticed in A solution (the ones indicated by Everest as the best) some problems around 72, 172 and 287 Hz while in B solution (my own idea of room) some problems around 97, 172, 222 and 287 Hz.
What is your point about these two solutions?
The B would be my favorite because of a little more width, but it seems to give a fourth critical freq (222) compared to the As.
I don't want to involve you in a half day of calculations for free for me. Please give me your point only if you can have an easy view of these situations.
Sorry for the metric sys.
Thank you

ranieri senni

franman

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 10:31:26 PM »

I think you understand my point:  10ft x 15ft x 25ft is going to be a completely different scenario compared to 20ft x 30ft x 50 ft, but BOTH are 1:1.5:2.5.... you have to run the numbers based on your actual room dimensions..
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

innesireinar

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:55:20 AM »

Got it.
Thank you, Francis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 22 queries.