R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Control room Bass trapping placement ?  (Read 6640 times)

Buzz

Control room Bass trapping placement ?
« on: September 26, 2006, 07:35:26 PM »

Here are the layouts of my control room aprrox. 15'x9'x8' tall I have attached a spectral run of the room at the mix position also ( used a white noise source and a ref mic into my daw ) I'm using Tannoy System 800a's as monitors , the walls are not covered at this point they are 5/8" drywall insulated.
The control room window is double pained doors on thier side ( great way to do a control window BTW ! ) they are flat to the wall also and are on my left side.
My ? is where would be the best place to put the traps ?? I have 3 2'x4' traps that are 4" thick and 1 diffuser ( an arced diffuser ) from Modular acoustics.
I was thinking 1 trap each in the front corner @ 45deg and 1 on the front wall/cieling combo @ 45 , then put the diffuser on the back wall ???

Thanks
Buzz
index.php/fa/3534/0/

Buzz

Re: Control room Bass trapping placement ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »

Heres the room layout index.php/fa/3535/0/

LAter
BUzz

Buzz

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 12:40:57 AM »

ANybody HOME ??? Knock Knock

LAter
BUzz

jimmyjazz

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 01:36:28 AM »

Why not put the 3rd trap at the rear wall/ceiling?  Does the diffuser run floor-to-ceiling?

I agree with the front (or rear) corners for 2 traps and the rear wall for the diffuser.

Buzz

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 11:36:13 AM »

Thanks Jimmy , I was going to put the diffuser sideways between the door and wall , I could put the 3rd trap anywhere I have just seen them in studios at the front wall/ceiling placement ( as well as on Ethans site etc. ) any suggestions are welcome ( such as back wall ) do you think that the back wall would be better ? or above the mix position on the ceiling ?

Thanks
Buzz

Buzz

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 07:30:06 PM »

Also should I fill in the space behind the bass trap with insulation or rockwool ?????? or does this make a difference

LAter
Buzz

franman

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 08:24:47 PM »

Buzz wrote on Thu, 28 September 2006 19:30

Also should I fill in the space behind the bass trap with insulation or rockwool ?????? or does this make a difference

I feel your original layout is valid starting point. I would move my test mic around and find areas that have high pressure level at the low frequecies. It will be in the corners but you may find some height is better than other for placement of traps.

Yes, we fill the void behind corner traps. THe effect this has is to broaden the Q of the trap and make it more broadband as well as increase the efficiency... all good stuff.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

xonlocust

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 05:06:36 PM »

franman wrote on Thu, 28 September 2006 19:24

Yes, we fill the void behind corner traps. THe effect this has is to broaden the Q of the trap and make it more broadband as well as increase the efficiency... all good stuff.

I've also just recently installed some corner bass traps in my room and it's helped quite a bit.  WRT filling in behind them - do you leave the insulation raw, or stuff in a bag of some sort?

franman

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 11:33:28 PM »

we "loosely fill" the cavity usually by hanging closely filled batt insulation...
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Buzz

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 04:18:03 AM »

Just as a follow up I recieved the bass traps and diffuser then mounted them 1 in each front corner of the room about 2' off the floor ( they are 2 1/2' x 4' ) and one at a 45 degree angle off the front ceiling/wall , then added the diffuser to the back wall and the diference is pretty big IMO I did reshoot the room and in the mix position the 40hz bump is GONE !!! so is the 125hz hump !! , a MUCH smoother response.

So I guess this stuff works huh ? , the main thing we noticed is that at the back of the room listening the bass has a BAD buildup now it is gone !! YAAAAAAAAA

Hopefully this will help tighten up my mix's ( after I get lessons from Terry LOL )

LAter
Buzz

PS: Thanks for all of your help Fran and guys !!!

BR audio

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 06:35:43 PM »

Good to know things worked out man..
You may want to reshoot the room with Pink noise and see what it gives you.  Pink noise is equal energy per octave and is going to give you a "flatter" (I really don't like using that word) reading on the RTA.

What traps did you buy??

peace
Gil

franman

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 10:59:41 PM »

glad it worked out.. it's nice when this shit works!!
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Buzz

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 03:24:33 PM »

I did reshoot the room and it really worked well , thanks to all of U guys for the help and welcome to PSW FRAN a very much needed addition IMO !!

LAter
Buzz

PS: I havent tried filling the back of the corner traps yet so maybe that will be next,

PSS: I got the traps from Modular Acoustics $400 for 3 traps and a diffuser shipped , they are 2'x4'x4" wood framed with black material a good deal IMO ??

Fram what is BATT insulation ?? normal density insulation ?

franman

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 09:36:11 PM »

yeah;... when we talk about "Batt" insulation it's normal fiberglass blankets (1lb/CF density or there abouts) that's used in stud cavities for thermal purposes in the real world... as opposed to the rigid (1.5 - 6.0lb/SF Density) stuff we use for absorption in treatments typically... in combination with batts as well.... sometimes... well, we really mix it up sometimes....

Yeah... the answer was yes!
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Buzz

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »

Thanks Again FRAN !!!!!!!!!!

LAter
Buzz
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.