R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EQ plugins on PT  (Read 10251 times)

Podgorny

Re: EQ plugins on PT
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 06:13:50 AM »

Iain Graham wrote on Wed, 04 October 2006 02:28

What's the processor usage like on the UA plugs? Do they need the UA cards to run on, or will they work on the host system as well?

They will only run on the UAD card.

We bought an HD3 rig (for the plugins), and then resold the 2nd Accel card, and have a UAD-1 in the third PCI slot of the G5.  I haven't felt the need for the expansion chassis (and more UAD-1s) because the UAD-1 only gets used for its "must have" plugins (Pultec EQP-1A, Neve 1073, LA2A), and the Pro Tools plugins get used for the rest.

I'd still like to get some of the McDSP and URS stuff, but between the HD3 plugins, MassivePack 5, and the UAD-1 Studio Pak, I feel pretty well-equipped.

Back to the original question, yes, EQ III is surprisingly great, and gets used all the time here.  The Massenburg DesignWorks EQ is pretty good too, though not nearly as good as GML's hardware.  The Joe Meek Meequalizer is useful when I need a visual diversion (because it's green), and the Bomb Factory Pultec is SO UNBELIEVABLY BAD, it defies description.  Seriously, if you were considering spending the $500 Digi wants for this useless pile of turd, do yourself a favor and go buy the aforementioned UAD-1.  NONE of the UAD plugins are bad.  Not all of them are great, but none are terrible.

-Podgorny
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

compasspnt

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2006, 04:45:21 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Wed, 04 October 2006 06:13

...(the) Bomb Factory Pultec is SO UNBELIEVABLY BAD, it defies description.

Yet I see people using them every day!

There is no comparison between something like the UA (or even EQ3!) and the terrible BF stuff.

I'm afraid that more people go by GUI theme than by the sound!

j.hall

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2006, 09:02:58 PM »

ya'll are spilling the beans on EQ3.

most people i know haven't even downloaded it thinking it's digirack stuff and it all sucks.

EQ3 get heavily used here.  i run it RTAS to save my TDM cards for other things.  EQ3 is great.

dynamics3 are really good too.  the gate is killer, and the de-esser is WAY more transparent the dynamics2 (that stuff was unuseable).

the UAD pultec is really good, and the UAD cambridge EQ sounds rather similar to EQ3, bt a little different and very useable.

terry, i've often said to younger PT guys......"audio is not visual"

compasspnt

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2006, 09:39:06 PM »

Indeed.

I too like the Cambridge EQ.  (Somewhat close to Oxford, or am I  thinking of towns here?)

Anyway, it is VERY comprehensive, and may have somewhat of a learning curve for some, but the power is there...just don't abuse it.

The HPF/LPF filtration is excellent.

NelsonL

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 02:31:33 AM »

I haven't downloaded it because I'm still on OSX tabby, or whatever it was.

I could use an improved de-esser though...

I'm only a few months younger than J, I just have an incredibly youthful posting style.

Iain Graham

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 03:08:43 AM »

Yeah, EQ3 and Dynamics3 are both really decent.

I've used the compressor a lot as well.

It all seems quite no nonsense, clean and useable.

Don't think I've ever used the compressor with the hard knee setting though. First control I usually reach for.

J, how are you enjoying the Abby Road limiters?
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

j.hall

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 05:53:42 PM »

the abby road EMI plugs are in heavy rotation.

really great sounding limiters.

mcsnare

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 01:29:30 AM »

J., where do you get all this cutting edge plug-in info? You always have the skinny on the best new stuff.
Dave

j.hall

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2006, 04:52:13 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 00:29

J., where do you get all this cutting edge plug-in info? You always have the skinny on the best new stuff.
Dave

hmmmmmmmm, i wonder who feeds me this info..............

i'm am but clay...................

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 06:30:01 PM »

argg, ya'll blew my cover.  I thought I was the only one using the EQ3....

Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

NelsonL

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2006, 06:36:39 PM »

Finally ordered a copy of PT7-- I'm going to try it out on our spare machine first and see how it goes.

Hopefully I won't end up in firmware hell trying to go back and forth.

Anyway, EQ3 was part of the carrot for me.

TheViking

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2006, 12:16:09 PM »

garretg wrote on Tue, 26 September 2006 12:02

Does anyone else here use wavearts trackplug?

I use the PC VST version, but there's an RTAS/Mac OSX version...

I haven't used any high end gear to compare with, but trackplug seems great to me.  It's a full control strip: parametric eq, compressor, gate, and peak limiter.

http://www.wavearts.com/TrackPlug5.html

Absolute best thing about wavearts is if you're a student or academic staff/faculty, you get a 50% discount.

-G

A friend of mine back in NY had just started using these plugs and seemed really impressed with what they could do.   I plan on demoing these wavearts soon.
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

tigeba

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006, 01:32:10 PM »

I have been using EQ3 all over the place.  The only other eq I have is RenEQ so perhaps that isn't saying too much.  Is dynamics3 a free download also?

One thing to consider about switching to a UAD card..  That might be a case where there increased latency might push you into the medium or long setting for the delay compensation, and it would suck up a bunch more DSP on your HD cards.  I guess if you are there already it wouldn't make a difference, but I don't think I have any mixes that ever use anything other than the short setting for auto-compensation.

Podgorny

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 03:00:09 PM »

tigeba wrote on Fri, 03 November 2006 12:32

One thing to consider about switching to a UAD card..  That might be a case where there increased latency might push you into the medium or long setting for the delay compensation, and it would suck up a bunch more DSP on your HD cards.  I guess if you are there already it wouldn't make a difference, but I don't think I have any mixes that ever use anything other than the short setting for auto-compensation.

I just leave it set to long delay compensation.  I haven't had a problem with running out of power, but then, I probably do less ITB processing than the average PT user.  But as far as workarounds to use the UAD-1 card, the Pultec is reason enough for me to deal with just about any hassle.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.