R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Hardware Audio Media ever die.  (Read 5951 times)

amorris

Re: Will Hardware Audio Media ever die.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »

I agree that people go through cycles with what is good and what is junk. my friend said that in the video house he worked, he found a U47 on a stand in the broom closet and the enigneers wouldnt let him even use it. That's "Old" technology. we have new FET mics.

aeser

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 09:19:44 AM »

while i have a love for physical media, especially vinyl, i do think it is doomed. it just doesn't make sense anymore when someone can have their entire 300-album collection on a tiny hard drive the size of a deck of cards. i don't however for a second believe that mp3's/aac's are the be all end all of music formatting, but i think the future of music media is strictly in data. new codecs will be developed which sound better and better (and can take advantage of 96khz and 192khz and or surround sound, etc.) and bandwidth will increase and i think physical media will for the most part die. i think there will always be a nostaligic collector market for it, comprised largely of people like us, i know i will continue buying vinyl as long as people keep bothering to press it, but yea it's hard to beat the convinience and ease of use of just having music as straight data instead of a shitload of plastic disks lying around taking up space. plus it's hard to beat the distribution model, you never press more than you sell, you can instantly sell to the entire world from one central server, and there's virtually no manufacturing costs, anyone can start a "net label" and give artists global distribution, charge for downloads, and potentially make a ton of money. of course we're not quite there yet, but i can't really see it going any other way. even in this day and age i'd definately say mp3's are the dominant musical format that people listen to, yes they still buy cd's, but for the most part just to rip them to mp3 and listen to them on their computers or their ipods/in their cars/etc., i think it's only a matter of time until they basically say "screw cd's" altogether and just buy the already ripped mp3 files.

i think the answer to the future of music commerce not sucking is to have more audio companies develop more reasonable GOOD sounding components for computers, i mean if you can develop a good reciever/cd player/etc. which at their core are just components like computer components anyway why not develop them as modular components FOR computers so people can use them. otherwise i see the stereo market heading south as well.

zmix

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 10:33:27 AM »

Here you go....

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/27/rockridge-sounds-vts-384- tube-amp-and-speaker-dock-for-ipod/

scottoliphant

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 11:50:23 AM »

so, you think we're only one generation away from children never discovering their parents record / cd collection and going through it like a found treasure? kind of sad. "dad, is that your old ipod?". As the child of a baby boomer, i remember fondly playing the beatles rubber soul for the first time after find the box of vinyl records in our garage.

M Carter

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 12:39:23 PM »

My predictions in  5-10 years -

1.  iPods/portable media will go wi-fi.  people will buy directly from itunes to their iPods.  record companies will finally see the writing on the wall, budgets will be slashed, we'll be seeing a lot more of 'heres 30 grand, give us three songs' and less 'she looks good, heres 3 mill, make her sound good'

independent artists will flood the market with both good and bad material, majors for a brief period of time will lose hold of the market.  briefly.

2.  fidelity will get better, new formats will be introduced.

3.  prices will go way down.

4.  your entire computer/work paradigm/entertainment center will be condensed into one unit (more so than it already is)

5.  we'll all end up with some long term cancer of some sort.

Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

aeser

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 09:26:15 AM »

scottoliphant wrote on Tue, 28 November 2006 11:50

so, you think we're only one generation away from children never discovering their parents record / cd collection and going through it like a found treasure? kind of sad. "dad, is that your old ipod?". As the child of a baby boomer, i remember fondly playing the beatles rubber soul for the first time after find the box of vinyl records in our garage.

kids could still discover their parrents AAC folder

i still think vinyl will be around for nutcases like me who will always listen to and obsessively collect the shit. but yea, cd's are doomed.

KB_S1

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 05:40:46 PM »

I still have loads of vinyl (would buy it regularly if I had funds) still buy CD's but also appreciate files.
As a chosen purchase I think a physical format will always be preferable for me.
However after luggin over 70 - 2" and 90 - 1/2" reels up a set of ladders to store in a loft over the last couple of days my fondness for tape has taken a knock.

I can see for general consumers however, a system coming into effect similar to BBC license and SKY subscription that we have in the UK where you pay a little extra for your ISP or mobile phone and have access to whatever media content you wish.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.