R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Specific Advice?  (Read 2293 times)

dconstruction

Specific Advice?
« on: October 13, 2006, 12:10:24 PM »

I don't mix much.  I don't record much, really, either.  But I would love to more, and recently I had an opportunity to engineer and produce two bands for a benefit CD (if you live in Dallas, vote Zac Crain for mayor in May: http://www.crainformayor.com).

I need to  perform the final mix for these soon and would love some general pointers from the J. Hall Nation.

Band: Pleasant Grove
 Song: Luzern http://www.dmeterstudios.com/imp7/Luzern.mp3

Band: Red Monroe
 Song: Our Love http://www.dmeterstudios.com/IMP/Our_Love.mp3

Both tracks were recorded in a single evening each, and these mixes are pretty much where we left them, immediately after tracking.  There's some basic, guideline EQ, compression and panning on the tracks in these mixes, but nothing too extraordinary - and nothing that can't be undone.

Other than how loud that damn harmonica is (Our Love), any suggestions?  I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Lindsay

starscream2010

Re: Specific Advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 12:26:27 PM »

I'm a big Pleasant Grove fan and dug what I heard on my crappy (NO low end translation) pc speakers. I really liked the vocals, but, the snare seemed kind of distracting to me at times.

I can't put my finger on it yet and will listen in my room tonight, but, I think that it has something to do with a stereo feel or effect(?) on it. Once I listen on better speakers I might not feel that way at all and this post might be pointless, other than to say I dig what I have heard so far Smile
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

dconstruction

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 12:34:30 PM »

The drums on Luzern are tracked twice, hard left and right.  I like that effect, but there are a few timing/volume inconsistencies that might make the stereo field feel like it pulls hard left or right.  I had planned on attending to that.

But: thanks for the input!  I'm looking forward to hearing more, from anyone, if you've got the time.

Thanks again,

L

NelsonL

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:42:20 PM »

Hey Lindsay, good to see you around here again. I really enjoyed working on your IMP7 track.

One thing I noticed on that one, was that your tracks were cut really hot to disk-- I actually ended up gaining a lot of stuff down in the box on my mix.

Now, you may run screaming for the hills upon hearing what I did... but there's a great thread about keeping your peaks down when tracking to digital. If you search for Paul Frindle you'll find numerous references to the big thread on that subject.

Anyway, might be something to consider if you haven't already.

Let me also say, that I think you're doing good work, I've personally learned SO MUCH from some of the heavy dudes around here I just wanted to share the wealth... cuz you know, I'm a bay area hot tub commie.

Anyway...

Luzern:

I hear a little Jason Molina influence in there-- very nice.

The double tracked drums are interesting, but I do feel like this song could use some more "drive" from the beat and that a center channel snare track might help push things a long.

You could play with panning one or both snares to the center-- or maybe keep them wide and use a sample in the middle?

(This from a guy who doesn't own a sound replacer type plug... I'm gonna pickup apptriga soon.)

So, I'm not saying ditch the width, I just think that the song might miss the push you get from a nice snare up the middle.

I imagine that's an experiment that one would have to try-- it might fall flat, who knows? Maybe once you balance out the dynamics a little more it will gel-- but for me, I want to hear a more driving feel on a song like this and the width is throwing that road mojo off.

I might brighten that guitar up a bit. I'd probably tuck a little verb (plate usually works for me) behind that vocal too for some more depth.

Maybe some plate on the e. piano too.

In general, I feel like you could tie these tracks together a bit more with a little plate here and there. Maybe a little more buss compression would add some cohesion? I'd try those things but sometimes they wind up bypassed when I decide to print my mix-- so who knows?

CAVEAT... I'm on cheap headphones, so the width might be exaggerated.

Our Love:

This one ties together real nice, I like the Phil Spector vibe.

Harmonica... look, I love Bob Dylan-- can't get enough of his stuff. But damn, his harmonica is an absolute ice pick to the ear drums in my truck-- I actually wince sometimes. If it were me, I'd experiment with a little overdrive, and I'd prolly try my Ibanez analog delay-- which might compliment the production in general-- or might suck.

I don't know man; this one strikes me as pretty finished sounding. I'd probably trim some girth form that banjo with subtractive EQ, let it stick out a little more without raising the level.

As always, you do nice work. I think your tracks are solid-- things could maybe be brighter in general, the bottom octave is lost on these cans so I'll leave that to someone else.

Thanks for posting these tunes-- very cool.

Liam

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:26:44 PM »

luzern:  it's a good tracking mix, not even a good rough.  you need to ooze vibe all over that thing.

the drums need to do something.  i'd probably audition one kit hyper compressed and the other slightly.....SLIGHTLY distorted.  that vocal needs to be massively compressed to the point of bad pumping, then de-essed and put in a very short room verb.  VIBE IT UP.

if you can get the drums and vocals to do something super cool and not necessarily "right", the rest of it will fall into place.

i'd attack that mix like sparklehorse records.  just ruthlessly destroying audio till you find something that is cool.

our love:

i'd get that drum kit a touch clearer in the top end.  i might see what more bottom in the kick would do, but very hesitant about changing it's "thwak".  i'd get the harmonica placed a touch better (just a touch).  then i'd jam that bass guitar up in the mix super hot and print it.

i love where the mix is at now, youjust need to further capitalize on what you've got going on.

dconstruction

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 11:04:33 AM »

So, the time finally came and I had to mix last night.  I've been avoiding it very successfully until now.

Here are the results:

Band: Pleasant Grove
Old: http://www.dmeterstudios.com/audio/Luzern_Track.mp3
New: http://www.dmeterstudios.com/audio/Luzern_Mix.mp3

Band: Red Monroe
Old: http://www.dmeterstudios.com/audio/Our_Love_Track.mp3
New: http://www.dmeterstudios.com/audio/Our_Love_Mix.mp3

Thanks to everyone for their advice.  It helped.  I think.

L

rankus

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 06:09:14 PM »

Love the Red Monroe mix!!!  Awesome!

Thought the other one needed some more upper mids / highs (louder gtr?)
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 19 queries.