R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is this a good product for corner traps?  (Read 6248 times)

Mike Angelo

is this a good product for corner traps?
« on: September 25, 2006, 12:06:56 PM »

Hey all,

Quick question on a product I found, first off it is not listed in bob gold coefficients or elsewhere regarding acuostics and I wanted a pro opinion, seems to be similar to Roxul 1240

I will be using it for floor to ceiling superchunk bass traps and it is called IIG 1240 (4" thick) Indistrial board (Mineral Wool) It is manufactured by Intelegent insulation group which is a joint venture with Johns Manville

http://www.intelligentinsulation.com/pdfs/IIG-402.pdf#search =%22IIG%20Insulation%201240%22

at 1/3 octave

125 = 0.88
250 = 1.14
500 = 1.17
1000 = 1.08
2000 = 1.06
4000 = 1.10
NRC = 1.10

It is 43 cents a sq/ft

Is this a good product for my needs?

Thanks,

Mike

Teddy G.

Re: is this a good product for corner traps?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 01:25:52 PM »

Waht is a "superchunk bass trap"? Is this the thing Fran mentioned? Corner-spanning "Dense stuff"(Glass/mineral-wool panels), with "hanging" fiberglass bats behind?

Far as it goes, it looks useable..? I think someone already said that this and the fiberglass stuff was, pretty much, the same accoustically??? Might depend more on what's available where you are??? Is the exterior already covered with something? Does it need to be - fabric? To keep it looking nice.

TG

Tom C

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 02:28:35 PM »

Mike Angelo wrote on Mon, 25 September 2006 18:06

Quick question on a product I found, first off it is not listed in bob gold coefficients or elsewhere regarding acuostics and I wanted a pro opinion, seems to be similar to Roxul 1240

It's basically ordinary rock-wool, so the specs can be found
easily.

I wish I could find this 192 kg/m3 stuff over here...
Tom

.signature failure

Mike Angelo

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 07:52:39 PM »

Teddy G. wrote on Thu, 28 September 2006 18:25

Waht is a "superchunk bass trap"?

TG

A superchunk bass trap is made of rigid fiberglass or mineral wool and is cut into triangular pieces and stacked floor to ceiling, I guess my question revolves arond the pcf because everybody swears by OC 703 (3pcf) and this material is 4pcf, not to mention a boat load cheaper.

In response to your second question it will be stacked in a frame that is secured to the corner and covered with burlap.

franman

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 08:27:20 PM »

Buy it!! Good price and the 25% difference in the density is not going to make a significant difference in the thicknesses you are using.. Good price!!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Teddy G.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 12:56:30 PM »

Superchunk... Sounds cool!

I wonder which is "better", the "solid" superchunk or one or two vertical panels in the corners with air-space and "hanging" panels between the vertical layers?

Still, sounds like a nice way to go for a reasonable price - bet it's a whole lot better than a piece of foam.

TG

BTW: I have often thought that no matter what you do in the corners, once you've got SOMETHING in the corners at least you can no longer stick your head IN the corners to actually hear any problems while you're playing that 80 cycle tone LOUD! Ha?......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.