R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading  (Read 7069 times)

ericjenson

Re: upgrading
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 05:27:16 PM »

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/xlogic_gseries.html

it says stereo compressor, and i'm interested.(i'll have to call them even tho i'm a bit turned off when it comes to dealing with these reps)

i've also got Waves offering a discount to go with their
DX plug modeled after this device, which i wasn't even aware of.

but like i said, i am attempting to add the best of analog options to my arsenal.(chain)

i really would like to keep it simple, and leave the colourful, esoteric stuff for later, i'm looking for sturdy functionality in an unapologizingly capitalistic sense, i suppose..

like i said , my main concerns are these power cleaning devices everyone seems to be selling, but more importantly, a sturdy Rack EQ with good sound, and compressor.

the compressor part really has me thinking:
do i need to go with this "liquid butter" sound everyone's saying i can get from a Vari-Mu, or more utilitarian at first, with this intriguing Xlogic Series?

i guess utilization comes first, i'll have to refamiliarize myself with these devices since i haven't played with them since my mixing days..

it's gonna be fun, either way, i suppose.. Smile

Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

compasspnt

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 07:03:59 PM »

ericjenson wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 17:27

...it's gonna be fun, either way, i suppose...

Or painful...

present

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 08:49:38 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 23 September 2006 01:03

ericjenson wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 17:27

...it's gonna be fun, either way, i suppose...

Or painful...

..or both, in a Clive Barker kind of way.

Andy Krehm

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 10:07:40 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 11:10

ericjenson wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 07:46

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 14:31

Unless you have something else, I wouldn't go for the V-Mu as my only comp.

I'd start with more of an all arounder, perhaps an SSL.

bab

Xlogic G Series?

looks nice, has quite a reputation.

Yes, it is quite popular. One thing though is that it cannot be run in Dual Mono (pretty sure, best check). On the other hand the V-mu doesn't have an accesible side chain, but you can get an HP mod for that.

I understand that back in the day people used 1178's. Is this still a viable mastering comp?

And I do believe the Requisite (LM2?) is also first rate box, mono/link, unusual HP in the side chain.

bab

I have both the Requisite (L2M MK2) & the Manley Vari-Mu and honestly don't know which I would chose if I had to ditch one. They really compliment each other.

The L2M has a mono/link switch but I'm not sure what's unusual about the HP in the side chain. Can you elaborate? To be honest, I rarely engage it as a full-bandwidth compressor but mostly use it for gain and sometimes light compression with the HP fully engaged.

As for the Vari-Mu, I finally got some mods. The HP SC is really useful and is subtly effective in allowing more bottom end through whereas the L2M is a lot heavier when engaging the full bandwidth compression. However the latter is fully variable which gives it an advantage over the Manley.

The Manley Vari-Mu T-Bar mod was a relatively huge change in performance. Suddenly the unit sounded smoother  and less harsh than before but harsh is a word that  never  ever would have come to mind in the four plus years I've had it! I had to do a recall on a master done before the mod and was quite surprised at the difference.

Also the gain staging is totally different. You have to feed it  a hotter signal to get the compression going. All in all, I'm glad had it done but when the sonics  change this much b/c of a mod, it could have easily been a bummer!

Reminds me of the time (years ago) when the Drawmer 1960 and 1961 were my only outboard tube mastering pieces. I heard about a tech guy doing mods on the 1961 and thought if it's available, the mod must make it better. I had it done for $700., got the unit back and hated it. He had turned a "warm", musical sounding unit into something sounding clean and clinical. I A/B-ed it with an original unit at a local music store and it was also very obvious to everyone there. I took it back and he put it back. The lesson learned was that one shouldn't jump into mods without careful research!

Before going ahead with the Manley mods, I quizzed Paul the Whiz at Manley for a description of each and the reason for them plus noted a lot of positive webboard posts and not one negative which is why I jumped in.

Also another thought about the SSL unit recommended. I do see the odd one as well as the Alan Smart unit (apparently a sound-alike) on mastering gear lists but they are totally outnumbered by Vari-Mu's and other compressors so if just chosing one, I wouldn't be considering one at this point in time.

For several years, the Vari-Mu was my only analog compressor and I still think it was a good choice.

Andy,

Silverbirch Productions,

www.silverbirchprod.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 10:45:46 AM »

Andy Krehm wrote on Sat, 23 September 2006 09:07

For several years, the Vari-Mu was my only analog compressor and I still think it was a good choice.

Same here Andy.  

I've been very "vocal" about my amorous feelings for our stock Manley Vari-Mu comps, still the only analog compressors in our facility. I'll spare the forum from repeating myself for the 100th time.

May add some other compressors at some point, for a different flava.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

ericjenson

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »

most of these manufacturers or dealers, from what i understand, will let you demo their products for a specified amount of time with some kind of deposit right?

cause it looks like that's the only way i'm gonna be satisfied when i'm finally done building my chain; knowing that i've tried out several units.

does anyone know of good dealers, who have this policy, that also carry a wide selection, or is this mainly done thru the manufacturers?(i suppose that's a question i can ask them myself, but i would appreciate some pointers in the right direction)

i feel like a n00b all over again. Smile
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer

carlsaff

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 12:46:09 PM »

ericjenson wrote on Sat, 23 September 2006 10:49

most of these manufacturers or dealers, from what i understand, will let you demo their products for a specified amount of time with some kind of deposit right?

carlsaff wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 09:21

Thankfully, there are places like Vintage King that allow you to demo units.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 01:33:41 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 12:55

Do not overlook the EAR Mastering EQ.  Not that well known...
In other words not sold at banjo centre...

ericjenson

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 02:21:04 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Sat, 23 September 2006 11:46

ericjenson wrote on Sat, 23 September 2006 10:49

carlsaff wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 09:21

Thankfully, there are places like Vintage King that allow you to demo units.

yes, i've been checkin them out, i didn't miss your original post. Smile
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer

compasspnt

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sat, 23 September 2006 13:33

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 12:55

Do not overlook the EAR Mastering EQ.  Not that well known...

In other words not sold at banjo centre...

Boy, you got that right!  Never seen any of Tim's gear at G...Banjo Centre!

By the way, two of the EAR 660 compressor/limiters linked are a GREAT mastering tool.  But If you got his stereo 825 EQ and two of the 660's, you're already at $20k and you'd still probably need another type of compressor, at least.  Then add two 822Q's and that's $7500 more.

But I'd seriously recommend doing it.

With one possible exception, this is the best audio gear being manufactured today.

ammitsboel

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2006, 04:11:53 PM »

You can also call Tim and have him to do a solid state version of those two. In his opinion it should sound exactly the same as with valves. He only do valve designs because it sells better(according to him).

He sounds like a very funny guy.

H
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

mcsnare

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2006, 09:32:39 PM »

Fascinating. I read an interview with him years ago and he sounds like a real character. Those 660's are THE BOMB.
Dave

Sarusan

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 11:49:10 PM »

If you get Dynaudios, go for the unpowered ones.  They sound FAR more natural.

Steven

Noah Mintz

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 11:53:34 PM »

we still have a Maslec/Prism Mastering Compressor for sale. Under $3K
Noah Mintz Mastering at Lacquer Channel http://www.lacquerchannel.com

Bob Boyd

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 12:33:05 AM »

There are a lot of great compressors to try out but if you're serious about trying the SSL compressor, give the Alan Smart C2 a spin too.  It's got the SSL stamp with more ratios and less color (or at least a color I thought I could get by with more often.)  On the right material, 1.5:1 can sound great on this box.

They also come detented standard which makes it far more mastering friendly.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.