R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading  (Read 7098 times)

ericjenson

upgrading
« on: September 21, 2006, 12:56:58 AM »

ok, i know this has been gone over and over and over again..
but,

i have recently acquired the budget(finally) to upgrade my setup and i want to concentrate on adding an analog signal chain to my options.

i've already settled on a Vari-mu, (need i say which brand?)
the HEDD 192,

i'm still not quite sure about the monitors but getting close.(any pointers welcome, but i've been thinking mostly on this aspect as a matter of personal preferance, keeping industry standards in mind, anything would be better then what i've got now, regardless, i'm leaning towards Dynaudio's, since i've been listening to them extensively both at Mars Music and friends studios)amps the same.

my main concerns:

a good, sturdy EQ box,(now of course when i was talking to the rep from Manley about the Vari-mu he also pushed the massive passive on me), but i'd like to hear about some good alternatives before i take his word for it.  FWIW i've heard one and i like 'em, but are there any cons to this unit someone could point out that might help my decision?

and power conditioning:
how important is this and are there any recommendations as to what specs i should pay attention to, or is it even needed?

i've already heard some opinions from friends of mine that run studios, but i need to hear some input from more seasoned MEs.

so, to summarize,
a sturdy, sweet EQ Rack(between 3-6,000$) and power conditioning(if needed).

TIA for any feed back on this.

>I'm sure it's going to be just as much fun learning to use these newly acquired gadgets as it was picking them out.
I'm a little intimidated, but what the hell? Twisted Evil
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

present

Re: upgrading
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 04:16:59 AM »

Eric,
before all hell breaks loose ('You gotta have a Sontec, B&W's, Dunlavy's, Questeds, etc)

I just want to wish you good luck.
Brave move, man

regards
Rogier

ammitsboel

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 06:23:36 AM »

Eric, what are you into.
Caps, coils, sand or glass?
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

carlsaff

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:29:53 AM »

Thought I'd chime in as a recent Massive Passive owner. I've had mine only a month and I can already see that it's never leaving.

That said, it could never be my only mastering EQ. You'll want another precision analog EQ to complement it or good in the box alternative (Algorithmix, Universal Audio, PSP, Voxengo, etc.). Staying in the box for precision stuff is my route for now, and perhaps it always will be. There are such great choices for that stuff in the plugin world these days. But nothing in the plugin realm can touch the Massive Passive for color and beautiful midrange, and that's one reason why I chose it as my first analog EQ. However, there are other colorful analog EQs out there -- API 550Ms or the Crane Song Ibis, for example (both possible next purchases for me).

My two cents... enjoy building that analog chain! Mine is only two devices long and a few months old, but the investment has been worth every penny. Analog still brings things to the table that software just can't (yet).

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 06:58:56 AM »

IME, putting together an analog chain is way more than just picking out devices that you like, they need to work well together in your chain. I suggest searching through this forum (tons of posts on what kinds of gear people like) and spending time trying out diff boxes. For example, you've already got your mind set on the Manley compressor, but have you heard the Pendulum 6386 (which actually uses a 6383 tube)?

Remember, your chain (and it's tone) will be your 'sound' - don't pick stuff willy-nilly because it's what people are talking about.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ericjenson

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 10:11:44 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 05:58

IME, putting together an analog chain is way more than just picking out devices that you like, they need to work well together in your chain. I suggest searching through this forum (tons of posts on what kinds of gear people like) and spending time trying out diff boxes. For example, you've already got your mind set on the Manley compressor, but have you heard the Pendulum 6386 (which actually uses a 6383 tube)?

Remember, your chain (and it's tone) will be your 'sound' - don't pick stuff willy-nilly because it's what people are talking about.

thx for the advice, this is going to take longer than i thought; but in the end i know it will be worth it. Smile
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer

Gold

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 10:17:50 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 06:58

Remember, your chain (and it's tone) will be your 'sound' -

Very important. Go slowly. Add one thing at a time. After a while you'll realize you have trouble getting a certain sound. Then add something to do that and hopefully some more. The chain has to sound good with everything you use inline.

I'm stuggling right now with adding an old piece of junk. Parts of it sound fabulous but one part doesn't. I'll work on it until either I find a solution or give up. I have given up on other stuff that I just couldn't knock into shape or weren't worth keeping in the chain. Don't be swayed by others. You need context.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

carlsaff

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 10:21:19 AM »

Brad and Paul are right. Thankfully, there are places like Vintage King that allow you to demo units. I highly recommend them, tho there are others that do the same. I had the Massive Passive in as a demo, but was sure I wanted it after one job.

My STC-8, on the other hand, I just grabbed because the price and timing were right -- no chance for a demo. (But not surprisingly, I love it, too, and it's not leaving either.)

Ged Leitch

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 12:18:44 PM »

I know DC recommends these monitors and I've heard them too at our rec studio, they sound great>>> the Quested H 108's

or the Quested 2108's!

They arent all that expensive compared to other popular monitors.

They 2108's we used to mix on at the studio, they translated very very well!
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

dave-G

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 12:40:14 PM »

ericjenson wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 00:56

i have recently acquired the budget(finally) to upgrade my setup

Start by getting yourself a freaking shirt!!!   That avatar is making me want to bring you my Goodwill donation pile

index.php/fa/3502/0/

-dave
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

ericjenson

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 01:09:35 PM »

dave-G wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 11:40

ericjenson wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 00:56

i have recently acquired the budget(finally) to upgrade my setup

Start by getting yourself a freaking shirt!!!   That avatar is making me want to bring you my Goodwill donation pile

index.php/fa/3502/0/

-dave

LMAO! Laughing

i master records topless, dontcha know? Shocked j/k

that pic is 5 years old, just me chillin at home.

nice job with the photoshop.

i guess i should "upgrade" my avatar for starters , yes?

all hilarity aside, thx everyone for the input. i need to slow down, demo some units, and build this gradually.
can you blame me for being eager tho?
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer

compasspnt

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »

Eric,

Do not overlook the EAR Mastering EQ.  Not that well known, but Tim's stuff is absolutely first rate.  The few who have them would not ever let them go.

http://mercenary.com/ear825dualma.html

Also, I use the 823's often in a mastering chain, and whilst they are obviously not for everything, they are beautiful in the right place, especiallky on things tracked and mixed all digital.

Then there is the Prism/Maselec EQ, but personally I've never heard it.

I have a Mas/Pas, and it is very good for generalisation EQ.  You would not regret having that.

Good luck.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 03:31:47 PM »

Unless you have something else, I wouldn't go for the V-Mu as my only comp.

I'd start with more of an all arounder, perhaps an SSL.

bab

ericjenson

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 09:46:53 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 14:31

bab

Xlogic G Series?

looks nice, has quite a reputation.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 11:10:15 AM »

ericjenson wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 07:46

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 14:31

bab

Xlogic G Series?

looks nice, has quite a reputation.

Yes, it is quite popular. One thing though is that it cannot be run in Dual Mono (pretty sure, best check). On the other hand the V-mu doesn't have an accesible side chain, but you can get an HP mod for that.

I understand that back in the day people used 1178's. Is this still a viable mastering comp?

And I do believe the Requisite (LM2?) is also first rate box, mono/link, unusual HP in the side chain.

bab
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 20 queries.