R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy Statman On NPR  (Read 815 times)

Joe Black

Andy Statman On NPR
« on: September 19, 2006, 01:09:16 PM »

Anyone catch this story on Andy Statman Sunday morning on Weekend Edition/NPR? Any you NYC folks evr go to see him play?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6092006

I'd almost forgotten about Andy. Had the pleasure of catching his 'bluegrass band' open for the David Bromberg Band in the 70's, and immedialtely ran out and bought his record Flatbush Waltz. As a young mandolin player I was blown away by his playing. I even dumped my F hole  Gibson for a O hole Gibson for that woody, open sound. I forgot about Andy till 1990 when I was doing a loft show in NYC at Uptown Muse in Tribeca, opening for a fellow named Paul something. Anyway, after some discussion, turns out he was Andy's piano player in Andy's Kelxmer group in which Andy plays clarinet. Klezmer! Clarinet! I was bewildered and intriqued, but also on tour with a short attention, so fast forward 16 more years to this past Sunday morning......WOW! What a treat while I made the weeks bread - I would be in the basement at the Greenwich Synagogue twice a week for this in a heartbeat. You can argue about his monolithic devotion to non-commercailism, but boy can he play!

rnicklaus

Re: Andy Statman On NPR
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 01:20:04 PM »

I engineered an album for Richard Greene (Ramblin') years ago and Andy Statman played on every track, if I remember correctly.

He is an amazing player.  He sort of grunted and moaned along with his solos.
R.N.

Joe Black

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:44:30 AM »

Huh, like Keith Jarrett.

Found a PDF of the album credits on the Rounder Archive site and of course you were correct - Statman is listed as a player on all tracks. Interesting looking record, everything from Ornette to Bach to Monroe. Glad to see it's still available, I'm gonna have to pick it up.

rnicklaus

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:01:41 PM »

It was a fun record to do and odd in a way too.

Richard is an amazing fiddle player with huge hands.  He had been in Sea Train, Loggins & Messina, played the fiddle part on Rod Stewart's "You're In My Heart", etc.

From his work with Sea Train and George Martin, Richard decided that he wanted to set up the players - upright bass, acoustic guitar, Mando and fiddle, do tons of takes and then edit everything together of the best bits.  "That's what George Martin does" mentality.

I think I used a KM84 for the bass, 421 on mando, maybe a 451 on acoustic guitar, and a U47 on fiddle.

When we got to editing, Richard was deciding edits on his solos in many cases - "go from the 3rd note of take 6 to th 4th note of take 16" - a real pain in the neck as it was all acoustic and cutting multi track - it had to be super clean.  I think we spent 3 weeks editing.  Richard was thinking where to edit his solos and his 4th note of the solo may be in the middle of a guitar chord for instance.  Loads of analog fun.

The next record we did together "Blue Rondo" was fun as well.  Add a second fiddle player, viola and orchestra percussion and it is bluegrass meets jazz to the max.

On Ramblin' we went for a dry, close, intimate sound.  I didn't mix it as I believe I had another project starting up.  

A funny exchange - Richard asks me "what did you think of my solo"  I answer "I hate to say it but you aren't quite making the octaves"  He snaps back, "I'm playing 11ths!" Yeah, I felt about 2 foot three at that point.
R.N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.