R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP7 discussion.  (Read 32863 times)

dikledoux

Re: IMP7 discussion.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 09:29:08 PM »

Won't have time to listen closely and comment fully on all the mixes til the weekend.

But in the meantime - Another song that was really easy to deal with.  So nice to see competent tracking (I thought IMP6 was too).

This was a whole different scenario, though - so many instruments to choose from.  The fact that the song structure was sorta repetitious opened up the possibilities for arrangement at the mix stage, so I took liberties there.  Leaving parts out (like the bells in the bridge - just didn't think they helped), borrowing bits like the piano that I used in the second verse rather than the stuff that was already there...  It was nice to be able to build the song and make it swell and subside til throwing everything together at the end. Pile it on!!!

I cut the instrumental part before the bridge just because I liked the arrangement that way.  Got to the big guitars quicker and with more effect on the transition.

Did anyone else find they did NOT have to EQ heavily?  Things just sounded right.  I did monkey with the bass eq to get it sitting where I wanted it.  And I did use 2-buss on the entire mix to get the drums thumping through again, a little limiting for level.  Nothing much, though.  And some EQ on the final to clear up some low-mid muddiness that was probably a result of me not EQ'ing individual tracks all that much.

So much fun... this is better than interning - no toilets to clean <g>.  Thanks to J for the event and dconstruction (is that right?) for the tracks.  You guys rock.

dik
"The gypsy woman placed a curse upon my head. Because I smelled it, she decreed I would forevermore be HE WHO DEALT IT!" - the Spleen

Bill_Urick

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 11:13:52 PM »

I'm sorry I missed out on the previous incarnations of IMP. This was a great exercise. The first opportunity I've had to mix someone else's tracking. Didn't care for the tune at first but after listening and working with it I've come to love it. Good story/lyric and really like the lead vocal. Lots of possibilities with all those tracks but I tried to take a straightforward approach. I also found my mix to be initially bass heavy and cut about 3dB around 60Hz. After the conversion to and from MP3 (all mixes are now on one CD) my mix is sounding a little thin. I also edited out some of the instrumental sections and felt the need to tighten up some timing issues on the bridge. It was surprising to hear everyone's take on the tune and how different some of the approaches were. Looking forward to listening to all the mixes more thoroughly and to hearing all of your comments.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

cerberus

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 11:19:43 PM »

i'm starting to listen now... as usual, i seem to focus in on where  the music might be heard unfettered by process... not so much about "my gear" ...that can get in the way of music,

ator...   dude, your mix blow me away!  it's  beautiful.  the first impression is so very important.

i knew you were good, but...this one is quite special for me...i'm so familiar with the song. but hearing this interpretation... was like opening a door to a secret world i only had guessed about.

alistair... hehehe.. trippy...  you make it seem much fun it feels illegal, but your moves do steal my heart. could back off on the reverb in the opening verse, imo.

jeff dinces

chrisj

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 11:24:09 PM »

Actually, I EQed stuff like a madman Smile in fact this has caused me to do a desperate lastminute rev- I set everything up thinking the singer was a John Kay Steppenwolf sloppy 'ol baritone, because I had Logic set to 44.1K and thought it was SRCing files on import!

So I pitch-changed the track up when I realized the truth- but then all my EQ was fucked and applying to completely the wrong frequency areas by the difference between 44.1K and 48K. Think that isn't much? Oh my god  Dead

So I went in and set Logic to 48K, and then all the EQ and stuff was at the right frequencies- OK, right? Not- because I'm using some extremely weird filtering from the guy who writes SoundHack. They're called chebyshev filters- they're not really filters, they synthesize harmonics. I'm using them on mandolins, the fake banjo, lots of stuff really. Surprise! When I pitched the Hammond up, that bright shiny sound it does interacted with the chebyshev filters and they produced insanely loud POP!s. Apple's sample AU limiter fixed it (the default Logic limiter choked on it)

YE GODS what a lastminute trainwreck. Disregard anything that's not called 'ChrisJLastDesperateScramble.mp3' Very Happy

Now to listen to everybody's entries and DL the stragglers...

cerberus

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 11:35:43 PM »

chrisj wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 23:24

Actually, I EQed stuff like a madman ... John Kay Steppenwolf... Not- because I'm using some extremely weird filtering from the guy who writes SoundHack. They're called chebyshev filters- they're not really filters, they synthesize harmonics. YE GODS

so that ringing is not reverb?!

j.hall  - crisp, feels like september... love the bass... not so groovy but more straightforward rock...a bit "white" for me... but it sounds like a record, , expensive that is!

has excellent contrast in the parts, decent separation on instruments. did not re-arrange the song for the band... so not that risky, of course.   but i do sense some bus fx are putting a slight veil on it that i would prefer removed were i to master it.

jeff dinces

chrisj

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 11:45:26 PM »

cerberus wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 23:35

chrisj wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 23:24

Actually, I EQed stuff like a madman ... John Kay Steppenwolf... Not- because I'm using some extremely weird filtering from the guy who writes SoundHack. They're called chebyshev filters- they're not really filters, they synthesize harmonics. YE GODS

so that ringing is not reverb?!

On what?  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Don't mind me, I'm a bit fried... yee hoo, can't believe I got that last fix in before the server closed... what a fucken idiot I am to think the 44.1K pitch was right... the funny thing is, the tempo is MUCH BETTER at 44.1K... hope you guys like it, definitely a 'chrisjed' mix  Laughing

cerberus

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 11:50:52 PM »

well about what you intended... i'll listen again, but it's like there is a delay on the snare that is driving the groove.. were you going for a kind of "when the levee breaks" sort of feel?
--------------------------
scott oliphant:  talk about hard rock.. this one feels as solid as a stone billet...i get the feeling that the drummer has ruined his snare head for good.... probably bent the legs of the support stand as well.  now that is anger!  the banjo is in there?  what's it doing? can't tell if it's coming or going.. well, if you went for the fiddle as a contrasting element, why not mandolins too?  it's maybe just that i know which tracks are missing...great emphasis on guitar slides, i like those little hooks.

dinner time, the witching hour, it's getting to tuesday here. can't believe i didn't eat.   more reviews later.

jeff dinces

chrisj

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 12:02:06 AM »

Oh that! My wife hated it  Laughing
That is not a delay but a reverb, on the snare mic only. It's Logic Express Silver Reverb (not the fancy one but the number two) with the verb return ruthlessly narrowed using the verb's highpass and lowpass filters. I did a LOT of stuff with incredibly bandlimited Silver Reverb- about the only thing with proper verb is lead vocals, everything else is this cheap-ass reverb algorithm tortured until it did what I wanted.

It's 144ms predelay, 86% reflectivity, 12 room size (ridiculously small) filtered between 3.4K and 9.6K.

Part of the banjo sound is a ultra small cheap reverb made to ring intensely and then bandlimited to only the extreme highs so it could do a banjo-head impression Very Happy that one's 4ms predelay, 77% reflectivity, 18 room size filtered between 3.2K and 12K.

Crap digital verbs are way better than good ones for adding metallic cranggy noises to things or altering the color of the sound beyond recognition Smile

Randy Hansen

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 12:45:16 AM »

I found that the mix I did (and was the one I got done in time) which was mixed on Mackie HR824s, I was't EQing as much.  

The second version of the mix I was mixing at home (diiferrent gera/plug-ins/monitoring), and found that on my Adam ANF-10s, I was adding more hi mids with everything.  

As an aside, did anyone decide to "mix to the medium", or think in terms of a fuller resolution format.

Thaks for the fun, j. hall, Brent and Lindsay.  

scottoliphant

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 08:07:49 AM »

Quote:

scott oliphant: talk about hard rock.. this one feels as solid as a stone billet...i get the feeling that the drummer has ruined his snare head for good.... probably bent the legs of the support stand as well. now that is anger! the banjo is in there? what's it doing? can't tell if it's coming or going.. well, if you went for the fiddle as a contrasting element, why not mandolins too? it's maybe just that i know which tracks are missing...great emphasis on guitar slides, i like those little hooks.

haha! in my rush to finish my automation got fooked for the banjo track, it only comes in at the end and I didn't get a chance to catch (i suppose i could update the mp3 on my server, but that wouldn't be fair). I ran the drums (didn't end up using the overheads, just the rooms) and the 2 57 guitar tracks out to tape hard for compression, and the middle "rock" section to me sounded like it wanted to rock, almost in a classic rock sort of way, so i turned up the 2 guitars pretty loud. Delayed the left room drum mic a bit to give some space. Downloading all mixes for comments later. good work everyone, looking forward to the next imp already!

spoon

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 11:19:54 AM »

I finished my reviews and had a few questions of the group.

I am just going to post my notes as there were alot of edits to review.  They are mostly obvious but there will be some questions.  Would it be cleaner if people PM me for clarification and then I post those clarification as part of my original review?

And speaking of cleaner posts, should I post all the reviews in one thread or break them up?

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
David

j.hall

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 11:35:40 AM »

cerberus wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 22:35

has excellent contrast in the parts, decent separation on instruments. did not re-arrange the song for the band... so not that risky, of course.   but i do sense some bus fx are putting a slight veil on it that i would prefer removed were i to master it.

i didn't feel the song needed an arrangement change.  i don't think my mixes need to be "risky" to be good.  i do these IMPs as if they are album mixes that i'm submitting to the artist.  i don't see much point in hacking something up just cause we can, and we aren't getting paid.

to be honest, all the arrangement changes i've heard felt tenative and lacked solid flow.

i have a tiny bit of compression on the 2 mix.  other then that, i bumped the level up a tiny bit with maxim to which i'm finding to be smeary.  i deliver mixes to mastering unlimited, and if a mastering guy asked me to re-print the mix without buss compression he would receive a prompt no.  if he asked me to back off the buss compression we would discuss it.

dconstruction

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 12:35:37 PM »

I'm listening and listening and will hopefully be able to compile my thoughts sometime soon.

In the meantime, I'd really like to hear from those persons that mixed this song deemphasizing the background vocals.  To me, and to the artist, they are THE sound of this song - and the album.  What led you to underplay or even ignore those tracks?

scottoliphant

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 12:51:31 PM »

how many folks feel comfortable critiquing their own mixes as well when they post their thoughts? I think i will

MI

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 01:02:28 PM »

I used 3 of the background vocal tracks. Selected for feel in different places in the song. I felt that all 5 together were too much and I didn't like the way they layered with everythig else going on. 2 of them seemed a little "harsher/heavier" and to me didn't always work.

I did it in 2 evenings (monday night/tues night), 3hrs the first and 2 the second. Could have used more time on the 2nd day, but needed some time to put it up. There were a few changes I would have made.

Next time hope to have more time.

Look forward to hearing all comments.

Mario
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.