R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie buying a M269C  (Read 12021 times)

torsteinl

• Real Full Name: TorsteinLindaas
Newbie buying a M269C
« on: July 16, 2011, 06:37:51 AM »

I'm in contact with a seller and will probably buy my first vintage mic soon, the Neumann M269C. There are bumps in the grille and the pins for highpass and -10 are broken. But he say it is completely original and sounds wonderful.

Is there anything in particular I should ask for, and look out for?

Torstein

klaus

Re: Newbie buying a M269C
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »

Maybe if I used an analogy from the vintage car world, it would be obvious to you what's at stake and how to proceed:

Someone is advertising a 1973 Porsche 911S. The owner says a door handle and the mirror are missing, and the bumpers are dented in, but the car is all original, and drives like a dream.

First question you ask: what does he want for it? $45k? Forget it, thanks for chatting. $19K? Maybe. Yu meet, check it out, step on the gas, drive through the mountains on a windy road, and if the car feels tight and responsive, you both agree on a third-party pre-purchase inspection by Dieter's Porschewerks.
Dieter, having apprenticed at Porsche in Stuttgart in the 1970s, will hone in like a laser on the weak spots of every 911 of that era: rust in the trunk, under the battery tray, tired torsion springs, bad compression on cylinder #4, smoke at start-up, etc.

If Dieter says: A OK! You've got yourself a bargain at $19k. If not, you spent a measly $150.- for the inspection, and will go to bed that night relaxed, followed by sweet dreams of you driving your dream 911.

If you don't proceed with any of these steps, you will be miserable, until you'll make the next guy who will buy this thing from you either very happy (because you had to unload your mistakes at fire sale prices) or miserable too (because you conveniently forgot to mention to him all the problems you discovered, one after the next.)

The bottom line: proceed deliberately, don't forgo reasonable steps of inspection and examination, just because you sense a deal may be slipping away, and someone else may get there first. I've learned through buying (and selling) many a mic, car, guitar, that it NEVER pays to rush into a substantial purchase.

Good luck!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

torsteinl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:35:14 AM »

Thanks! I hope Dieter is reading this forum, cause I have some pictures of the car for him  :D

torsteinl

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:36:37 AM »

Some more

torsteinl

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:37:32 AM »

and more

torsteinl

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »

klaus

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »

Did you tell Dieter how much the seller wants?
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

torsteinl

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 02:15:28 PM »

Ah, forgot about that... $6500.

klaus

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »

So, have you hired Dieter yet to do a compression check (in this case, at least a tube-health, voltage supply or capsule function test)?

Or are you trying to bypass Dieter, in the hope of getting free advice from amateur mechanics online, because you'd like to save what little money you would spend with Dieter, but don't mind to gamble on the big stuff?

As an (overbooked, and therefore non-competing) colleague of Dieter, let me assure you that, at that asking price, you will need to hire Dieter: if a couple of the main components of this mic need to be replaced, you are already in the "not such a good deal" territory for this purchase.

Hire a known professional, rather than relying on free (and unreliable) advice from strangers.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

torsteinl

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »

are you trying to bypass Dieter, in the hope of getting free advice

Yes, I am. I also try to educate myself.

from amateur mechanics online

I chose REP because the ratio of amateur mechanics here seems relatively low.

Regarding the car/microphone analogy: I took my car to a checkup when I bought it. It is a good idea to do the same with expensive microphones. I will explore the possibilites I have. But it's not like there is a guy around the corner that can do it, like with cars.

I live in Norway, the seller in Sweden. This is outside/inside EU, meaning tax barriers. If anybody know somebody in Sweden with the relevant experience who can check up on the microphone before I buy it, please let me know. From what I've heard, this kind of work usually gets shipped to Germany.

Piedpiper

• Real Full Name: Tim Britton
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »

great, succinct thread. priceless synopsis Klaus. geez, say that ten times fast...
row row row your boat...

Pied Piper Productions

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »

Why don't you search for a u67? 

torsteinl

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 03:26:25 PM »

From what I understand the U67 is a little dark for vocal application. M269C a little brighter.

klaus

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »

While on paper the M269 is 2dB hotter at 10k compared to the U67, please keep in mind that the K67 capsule which is used in both mics is largely responsible for both models' frequency response tolerance of ±2dB, or a spread of 4dB.

That means, you could get a U67 which will be 2 dB hotter at 10K than another M269.

I found in testing numerous samples of both that, all else being equal, the midrange texture of a U67 is preferable for vocalists, while the slightly more glassy timbre of an M269 (especially the c version) is a bit more suitable for acoustic instrument pick up- any acoustic instrument - the mic is that good.  In the end, these are theoretical considerations.

In the aggregate, you may end up with either model being capable of rendering vocals exquisitely.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

torsteinl

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »

Interesting! The deviance might help explain why some prefer it for vocals, others not so much.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.