R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 22 Guitarists I Like Better Than Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray  (Read 5310 times)

Daniel Farris

Re: 22 Guitarists I Like Better Than Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 09:37:21 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sun, 17 September 2006 08:48

But he and Clapton both managed to overcome addiction and bounce back.

And you've got to hand it to a guy who can turn his dead son into a multi-platinum hit single.

Big brass balls. THAT'S THE BLUES.

DF

Daniel Farris

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 09:46:24 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 16 September 2006 23:11

As for Clapton, I know this is a bad thing to say, but I liked him better on heroin.

As Bill Maher said, "Heroin has hurt a lot of people, but it hasn't hurt my record collection."

I once had guitarist friend who was a vicious junkie and couldn't kick... mostly because a jazz trumpet player with whom he had a regular gig, I found out,  was actively trying to stop him from quitting.

He told me, "Yeah he's one of the best players I've ever heard, but when he gets his shot, he's THE best player I've ever heard."

DF

minister

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 09:55:48 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sun, 17 September 2006 02:48

I'd be willing to bet, that if Jimi had lived to hear Stevie play, he would have been a friend to, and fan of Stevie Vaughan.

i'd bet hendrix would be a fan of and friend to MOST people.  he seemed like that kind of guy.

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Daniel Farris

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 10:13:15 AM »

minister wrote on Sun, 17 September 2006 14:55

i'd bet hendrix would be a fan of and friend to MOST people.  he seemed like that kind of guy.

Hendrix went to see Robert Fripp play with King Crimson at the Revolution Club in London and, for most of the show, was jumping up and down yelling, "This is the best band in the world."

Robert said, "This is the best calling card any professional musician is ever likely to be able to offer."

DF

ericjenson

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 03:57:53 AM »

BB King

nuff said.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

Dom3735

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 10:02:11 AM »

Jimi was definitively a guitar ''god''.
He had influence so much guitarist.
SRV was an Hendrix impersonator.
Not that he wasn't good, I mean,
I never liked him as much as Jimi.
Don't comment my taste plz.
Everytime I say this, I get crucified.

Kind Regards,
Dom Berg,
Sonolab Studios, PQ, Canada.
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/WAKEUPROCKS

Spiritwalkerpro

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 05:45:29 PM »

Roy Buchanan
Albert Lee
Rory Gallager

These guys were, or are great.

Norm

J.J. Blair

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 09:07:39 PM »

Jeff Roberson wrote on Sat, 16 September 2006 16:00

I'd rather listen to either one then Garcia. Unless he's playing banjo.

Or Garcia on pedal steel.  Jesus, that guy was a monster.  I had some NRPS sets from 1970 that just blew my mind.

Here's a funny thing: Eric Greedy just bought David Cassidy to my place for some sessions.  Now David had seen Hendrix a few times, but sat there for 1/2 an hour trying to convince me that Clapton was a better guitar player than Hendrix.  Needless  to say, we didn't see eye to eye.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

jimmyjazz

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 10:17:25 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 21:07

Here's a funny thing: Eric Greedy just bought David Cassidy to my place for some sessions.  Now David had seen Hendrix a few times, but sat there for 1/2 an hour trying to convince me that Clapton was a better guitar player than Hendrix.  Needless  to say, we didn't see eye to eye.

It's just an opinion.  It's not like he said Hendrix was worse than the kid from the Strokes, or me.  Clapton's pretty freakin' good.

ericjenson

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 09:20:24 AM »

Jeff Roberson wrote on Sat, 16 September 2006 16:00

I'd rather listen to either one then Garcia. Unless he's playing banjo.

you are so right, ever hear the work he did with david grisman?
amazing stuff.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

Joe Black

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 10:36:14 AM »

Sure enough. Both the Old and In the Way and later stuff, though I've always prefered the traditional renderings.

I'd forgotten about his pedal steel playing. Considering how little he actually played the intrument, it's pretty fantastic.

amorris

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 11:16:41 AM »

Stevie ray f-ing rocks, I dont know what your problem is!!

Clapton is great as a rock star not really a flashy gtrist, but he rocks.

John Ivan

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 05:11:37 PM »

Dom Berg wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 10:02

Jimi was definitively a guitar ''god''.
He had influence so much guitarist.
SRV was an Hendrix impersonator.
Not that he wasn't good, I mean,
I never liked him as much as Jimi.
Don't comment my taste plz.
Everytime I say this, I get crucified.

Kind Regards,

While I can certainly hear Hendrix in SRV's playing, I would bet that Jimmy was not his biggest influence. Steve had a much more traditional blues approach and nearly everything he did had Texas swing all over it. Also, I would say SRV had better Time, played in tune more often and applied deeper and more complete musical concepts than Jimmy did. I just think he was a better player, as Guitar playing goes.

On the other hand, all these people did what they did amazingly well and one does not sound like the other to me. Clapton is an example {for me anyhow} of a guy who played what needed to be there. He was and is really a songster and it was the folks around him who turned him into a guitar hero.

They're all great in their own way and I'm personal influenced by them all, {even the guy's I think were very average players.}

Ivan..............................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

J.J. Blair

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 08:37:50 PM »

Jeff Roberson wrote on Wed, 20 September 2006 07:36

Sure enough. Both the Old and In the Way and later stuff, though I've always prefered the traditional renderings.

I'd forgotten about his pedal steel playing. Considering how little he actually played the intrument, it's pretty fantastic.

Aside the handful of playing he did on albums like American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, that's Jerry doing the steel on CSN's "Teach Your Children" as well as a couple spots on Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name.  

But the coolest stuff he did was with New Riders of the Purple Sage.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 01:54:12 AM »

Man if you need any convincing that Clapton  is/was a guitar "god", just go listen to Creams' "Wheels of Fire" it'll knock your socks off... and remember it was a live recording in 1968 of a trio on tour!

I remember sitting in my brothers' bachelor pad in Galveston (across the street from the Bishops' Palace) in the summer of '69 listening to "Wheels",  Hendrix' "Smash Hits", Johnny Winters' 1st Columbia record, and Led Zeppelin 1 over and over and over, it was new, cutting edge and mind blowing!

I don't think any electric rock guitar playing since has really topped those records.

Of course, during the same time period we had the other guitar heroes; Jeff Beck, Peter Green, and a few others... it was a very short list at the time, before many of us had heard of Duane Allman, Billy Gibbons, Alvin Lee, Santana, and the other greats of the early '70s.

Clapton and Hendrix were at the top of the list, the question of the day, even to novice teens, was "who's the best guitarist, Clapton or Hendrix?"

I prefer Jimi, but Eric comes in a very very close second... personal preference.

JT

Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.