R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Celing isolation  (Read 2661 times)

onekid

Celing isolation
« on: September 15, 2006, 07:56:56 PM »

I'm in a basement of a strip mall. The ceiling height is 9 feet. Above me are various business's. The one which is most problematic is a hair salon. Boy can I hear the click and clack of those ladies heels as well as the snappy dialog going on up there. The ceiling is most likely 1/2" sheet rock. I've got a control room, tracking room, and an iso room. What would be the best way to minimize the sound leaking down as well as drums, bass, and guitars bleeding up?
Jeffrey Lonigro

dnafe

Re: Celing isolation
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:20:04 PM »

Ask them to put some carpet in their salon

sorry I just had too

Don
Far be it from me to say anything intelligent

franman

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »

give all the stylists Vicodin in their morning latte... Really, you're gonna have to do some serious suspended, insulated ceiling and sacrifice some height for an air space... That's a really simple answer to a complex situation. It requires evaluation by a professional before a valid recommendation can be made..

Good starting point would be 12" airspace below existing trusses or ceiling... Heavy insulation, R19 x2.. Then at least two layers of 5/8" Sheetrock. 3 would be better. And to crank it up a notch I would resiliently suspend the whole thing to increase LF isolation.. This gets tricky. Penetrations for HVAC, etc have to be carefully sealed..

But all this is "blind" consulting and I don't really like to do that..

oh yeah... BTW carpet on the floor above would greatly improve foot fall "clicking" transmission.. but no salon is gonna go with a carpeted floor... then sweep it up all day.. VCT or concrete is most typical.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

crna59

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 06:10:50 PM »

I am building a new Mastering and Post room in my basement now. Fortunately I have the benefit of 11' of ceiling.
The designer of the rooms have me using a suspended ceiling of Kinetics Noise Control ICC brackets
I'm also using 2 layers of R-22 "Roxul" rock wool. This is the way to go!!

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

franman

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 11:41:00 PM »

What Bruce suggests is a version of the Resiliently suspended ceiling I mentioned above... Use at least two layers and have someone "engineer" the isolators as they really only work if they are properly loaded... this is where some of the science comes into play. Different localities also have different codes about min spacing and methods of attachment for suspended ceilings (resilient or not) so try to do it "legally".
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.