R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reusing a Helmholz Resonator  (Read 3534 times)

Steve Hudson

Reusing a Helmholz Resonator
« on: September 15, 2006, 12:26:21 PM »

I had a couple free-standing Helmholz resonators (2'x2'x7') built for my last studio at considerable expense and wondered how I might approach using them in a new room I'm planning to build. Should I simply install them in the new room then measure to see what frequencies still need to be tamed and treat the room accordingly?

Thanks for your help,

Hud
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

franman

Re: Reusing a Helmholz Resonator
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 04:10:33 PM »

The Helmholtz Resonators you have are tuned to a certain frequency (or frequencies for multiple units??)... They might be of help, but of course it depends on the LF response in your new room as to how you might use them... Do you know where they were tuned to?? Are they filled with Fuzz, as this will broaden the Q of their response??
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Steve Hudson

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »

The resonators are identical so are tuned to the same frequency. Sadly, the designer no longer has the files documenting the freq or Q of the resonators, which were built nearly six years ago. I don't recall that they contain Fuzz, I do recall they were made of MDF with 703 hung inside. Could the frequency be recalculated with the room dimensions (12' depth x 11' width x 9.5' height)?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

franman

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 10:11:23 PM »

I wouldn't try to guess the tuning by calculating room resonances...The traps can be reverse engineered or imperically tested, but I question the value...
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Steve Hudson

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 04:35:28 PM »

If I just stuffed them with Fuzz or more 703 and put them in the corners of my new control room, I assume they would be effective traps. They have the added feature of parabolic diffusors mounted on the front and my new room will be plenty deep enough to benefit from diffusion at the back. I'm not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, just trying to use what materials I have on hand to the extent I can without causing more acoustic problems than I'm solving. Thanks again for your generous feedback.

franman

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 10:10:31 PM »

go for it and let us all know how it works out, ok?
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Steve Hudson

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 11:09:22 AM »

Will do!

Here's a pic of the resonators at their last home.

index.php/fa/3467/0/

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 19 queries.