R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Joanna Newsom  (Read 8388 times)

MRP

Joanna Newsom
« on: September 12, 2006, 11:59:22 AM »

I've never recorded harp before, let alone someone singing whilst playing harp.  I was fortunate enough to get to listen to Ys, and must commend you on a job well done.  I would very much like to know what ideas you had going in to the session, and what ended up working.  It's a phenominal album, and anything you could share regarding it's recording would be much appreciated.

And great show at the Cat's Cradle.

stickman

Re: Joanna Newsom
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:31:18 AM »

that's funny, i didnt think it was out yet.

also, (and this is nothing against steve), i'm surprised she didn't record with noah georgeson. i think the milk eyed mender is one of the most amazing recordings i own. i usually don't say that because the artist is usually what makes the recording but there was a sound that stuck out on that album that was down to the recording and mixing. i think steve has some shoes to fill. hopefully he got that overdub/delay/doubling/chorus technique from the last album. amazing. sounds like a group of school children singing. i can't wait to hear it. dont let me down steve, the pressure is on  Laughing

jetbase

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 09:53:34 PM »

stickman wrote on Sun, 24 September 2006 16:31

that's funny, i didnt think it was out yet.

also, (and this is nothing against steve), i'm surprised she didn't record with noah georgeson. i think the milk eyed mender is one of the most amazing recordings i own. i usually don't say that because the artist is usually what makes the recording but there was a sound that stuck out on that album that was down to the recording and mixing. i think steve has some shoes to fill. hopefully he got that overdub/delay/doubling/chorus technique from the last album. amazing. sounds like a group of school children singing. i can't wait to hear it. dont let me down steve, the pressure is on  Laughing

really? i thought the recording quality of milk eyed mendor was pretty average. a cool (& quirky) album in every other aspect though. i guess you melbournites have really taken to it, the sprout & the bean is used on melbourne tourism ads.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

stickman

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 08:25:41 PM »

mmmm, it's not about the quality for me. it's the capturing of the performance and i think it really sticks out for me. the sound is amazing for what it is meant to be. but horses for courses and all that.

i pissed myself when i saw that "travel victoria" ad here. there is a current trend of using cool indie songs in ads these days and i really gotta wonder what is going on? i have lost track but i can start a list:

joanna newsom - travel victoria
manitoba/caribou - canon ad
sigur ros - axa (a while ago in australia)

manitoba would be a rich man after a world distributed ad like canon. it shows that there is serious money to be made even for indie artists.

sonny

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 08:27:15 AM »

stickman wrote on Tue, 26 September 2006 01:25

i pissed myself when i saw that "travel victoria" ad here. there is a current trend of using cool indie songs in ads these days and i really gotta wonder what is going on? i have lost track but i can start a list:

joanna newsom - travel victoria
manitoba/caribou - canon ad
sigur ros - axa (a while ago in australia)

manitoba would be a rich man after a world distributed ad like canon. it shows that there is serious money to be made even for indie artists.

What about Jose Gonzalez. Hardly anyone would know about him if it wasn't for his music on the HP ad.  I think that's a good thing.

Oh and the Joanna Newsome album does have a great fell to it which is 90% of the sound in my opinion.
Sonny

Pinna Productions
sonny@pinnaproductions.com
www.pinnaproductions.com
34-38 Provost Street
London
N1 7NG

stickman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 09:33:01 PM »

geez steve,

Ys just cost me $133! it better be fucking good!

electrical

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 02:39:21 AM »

stickman wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 21:33

geez steve,

Ys just cost me $133! it better be fucking good!

You didn't have to buy 10 copies. Blame yourself, sir!

Still worth it.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

wowats

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 06:07:41 PM »

it does sound great..

then again it would be hard to make her sound bad.

stickman

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 10:03:20 PM »

nah, not 10 copies. i was that excited to hurry up and get it, i got a goddamned parking ticket while in the record store!

i will reserve total judgement on this but first impressions have dissapointed me (sounds nothing like milk-eyed). not necessarily steves doing but i did notice that her voice sounds completely different, more different than i would have imagined even from a different production. has she aged a lot or has her voice broken or something or she trying to sound different? it seems a lot deeper? i know good and well that the artist really is the sound (especially considering steve's stance on production influence) but i am really curious now as to how much the production has effected the difference i am hearing so far.

wiggins

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »

stickman wrote on Thu, 16 November 2006 22:03

nah, not 10 copies. i was that excited to hurry up and get it, i got a goddamned parking ticket while in the record store!

i will reserve total judgement on this but first impressions have dissapointed me (sounds nothing like milk-eyed). not necessarily steves doing but i did notice that her voice sounds completely different, more different than i would have imagined even from a different production. has she aged a lot or has her voice broken or something or she trying to sound different? it seems a lot deeper? i know good and well that the artist really is the sound (especially considering steve's stance on production influence) but i am really curious now as to how much the production has effected the difference i am hearing so far.

Yeah, I was going to warn you not to get your hopes up. I think it's complete garbage. All the sparse, chill-inducing qualities of her first album got replaced by a lame string section.

I know quite a few people who like the record, and none of them loved it immediately. They had to make themselves get used to it - that's not a quality that allows a record to stand the test of time.

Then again, I hated "two nuns and a pack mule" for the first 6 months I owned it.

carlsaff

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 04:52:32 PM »

wiggins wrote on Fri, 17 November 2006 14:50

Then again, I hated "two nuns and a pack mule" for the first 6 months I owned it.

Man, it's hard to hate "Monobrow," Andrew...

wiggins

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 06:02:35 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Fri, 17 November 2006 16:52

wiggins wrote on Fri, 17 November 2006 14:50

Man, it's hard to hate "Monobrow," Andrew...

I was young, foolish, and not yet ready for anything that good.

P.S. benard stuff's coming to you monday or tuesday.

mkrns

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 02:17:58 PM »

wiggins wrote on Fri, 17 November 2006 12:50

...that's not a quality that allows a record to stand the test of time.

What? I couldn't disagree more.

King Whistle

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 02:13:33 AM »

Stickman and Wiggins,
you guys must be very close pals with Mr. Albini to slag him in his own forum, without any specific constructive criticism (other than it doesn't sound like the last album, which seems pretty silly to me). Also, neither of you started this post, but sort of hijacked it to put in your opinion on the album mentioned. You also ignored the first post.

I don't get it.

I think this sort of posting will lead to Mr. Albini not being very motivated to take his time to answer anyone's legitimate questions regarding recording, like the first post in this thread.

Maybe you guys are all just close pals having a long-distance laugh...

I personally would have liked an answer to the first post from Mr. Albini.
Also, if I wanted to hear your opinions on any album, I would have clicked on YOUR forum. It's plain common sense to weigh your (anyone's) opinion on anything against what I know of your expertise and accomplishments in that area. Most of us know of Mr. Albini by his work, but, I don't know you or your recordings (I'm sorry).
 It's mildly interesting to see a thread on the best unknown albums, or whatever, but, this isn't an opinion poll.

I'm sorry for the rant, I'll buy the first round if we ever meet in person.

Thaddeus Corea.
Jaguar Recording Studio
http://jaguarstudio.com

stickman

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 08:42:13 AM »

Quote:

Stickman and Wiggins,
you guys must be very close pals with Mr. Albini to slag him in his own forum, without any specific constructive criticism (other than it doesn't sound like the last album, which seems pretty silly to me). Also, neither of you started this post, but sort of hijacked it to put in your opinion on the album mentioned. You also ignored the first post.

I don't get it.

I think this sort of posting will lead to Mr. Albini not being very motivated to take his time to answer anyone's legitimate questions regarding recording, like the first post in this thread.

Maybe you guys are all just close pals having a long-distance laugh...

I personally would have liked an answer to the first post from Mr. Albini.
Also, if I wanted to hear your opinions on any album, I would have clicked on YOUR forum. It's plain common sense to weigh your (anyone's) opinion on anything against what I know of your expertise and accomplishments in that area. Most of us know of Mr. Albini by his work, but, I don't know you or your recordings (I'm sorry).
It's mildly interesting to see a thread on the best unknown albums, or whatever, but, this isn't an opinion poll.

I'm sorry for the rant, I'll buy the first round if we ever meet in person.

Thaddeus Corea.

Thaddeus Corea (if that isn't your real name), come again?

did i write something drunk and forget or are you talking crap? hang on i'll go back and check by reading the posts... yep it's crap talk. when did we slag off steve?

mate, this is a forum. fair enough the question was about recording harp and was directed at steve and i too was interested in some info but it's up to steve to answer that and not us. but then again, if that was how the forum was meant to operate and nobody else could chime in then why not just have every thread completely locked so only steve can talk... but then that's not really a forum is it? and to be totally truthful, i originally posted because nobody else had at the time and i really wanted to keep this thread alive while steve wasn't around because i often come here to read and wonder why people don't ask about the good bands he has recorded and done great things with (this is the first i have seen). perhaps i should ask about them but i usually don't have time.

in all honestly, i didn't go back and read the posts (could not be bothered really) so maybe somebody did slag steve but i seriously doubt it. from memory (which i can't trust), wiggins said he didn't like the album - that has nothing to do with steve. he recorded the artist, he didn't write the thing.

anyhoo, i have reserved my judgement until now because i at least wanted to give it a go but i have to say, i think Ys is completely shite too (that's really hard to hear me say and write that). i am really disapointed because i am huge fan of hers. maybe i don't like it because i built myself up for something great, maybe it's because i wanted it to be like her last, maybe it's because it cost me $133 or maybe it's because it really isn't that good. it's probably a combination. to me, it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over-produced stuff that really doesn't suit her. it sounds very kate bush or something to me. that dyke parks string stuff is mostly cliche and unnecessary and the songs lack the character, folkiness, quirkiness and untouched production that made the last good. oh, and that high squeak that she is doing on the new album, well let's just say that it was cute the first time but then it seemed to be there after every line.

but then again, this isn't a cd review forum and we probably should be talking about the recording. that's always more interesting than people's stupid opinions like ours on how good something is anyway. just needed to vent my disapointment.

so the constructive stuff you want. that's hard because how do you constructively criticise an engineer without actually being there. it's impossible. plus, i see jim orourke mixed it - how do i know what influence he had. probably a lot i imagine.

to be honest, i am totally convinced that noah did something really special on that first album. by chance i was listening in the car and milk eyed mender just happened to be in there after Ys. wow, i got that special feeling back as soon as it came on. and it wasn't just about the songs. seriously, i think that is one of the greatest recordings i know. the harp and vocal sound amazing. like amazing like i can't imagine somebody could get it to sound like that out of some loudspeakers. again it's hard for me to say how steve did it but it certainly sounds a lot different than milkeyedmender. it actually sounds like a different artist to me. the harp and vocal sound in particular sound completely different. the vocals sound a lot drier in the first half the album and doesn't seem as consistent as the first. i also found the harp didn't have that nice extended low end like the first album but that could come down to many things such as how the song was written and the arrangement.

i guess we can get more technical and into detail if steve wishes to comment on anything to do with the recording. Thaddeus i hope you don't see the above as a slag off because it ain't. steve has recorded many albums i love that i can hear was down to both artist and the recording (ie, he recorded them RIGHT!) - labradford and joan of arc-related stuff. that doesn't mean i can't say i don't like the recording of Ys. now that's a rant Thaddeus!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.