R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going into unbalanced RCA. Do I need balanced TRS?  (Read 3661 times)

Michael Nielsen

Going into unbalanced RCA. Do I need balanced TRS?
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:25:33 PM »

I just got a new amp ADCOM amp that's got unbalanced RCA inputs...I'm coming out of a Presonus Central Station.  Do I need balanced TRS connectors, or would unbalanced be the same since it's ending up at unbalanced RCAs?

JGreenslade

Re: Going into unbalanced RCA. Do I need balanced TRS?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:50:40 PM »

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Depending on whether the Presonus has XLRs or ¼” jacks, figures 4b or 10b should do the job.

Make sure to read and internalise the whole article – invaluable theory to any AE!

Justin

edit: I just realised that you're asking if you can common the ring to the sleeve (in effect) by pushing in an unbalanced 1/4" jack - is that the case?

If so, I would recommend fitting a balanced jack and following the Rane protocol (there's nothing to be gained by connecting cold to ground btw, unless you have CC or transformer outs)

In theory, if you common the inverted side to ground you could load the Presonus' driver amps (assuming they're not cross-coupled or transformer - they're not on the Presonus monitor unit to my knowledge) unnecessarily.

There's more than meets the eye with regards to connection protocol and it's worth spending the time to learn how to determine the optimum solution.

I should add that the Rane methods will work fine, but some experts will dispute all the theory in that link (i.e. theoretical noise penalties for leaving the shield floating one end in some apps).
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.