R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WATTGATE: worth it?  (Read 15813 times)

Jon Hodgson

Re: WATTGATE: worth it?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 09:12:07 AM »

I followed the links through to their UK dealer.

A "Silver Signature" 3 ft mains cable costs 1500 quid!!

So MOST DEFINATELY not worth the money.

Your power supply is supposed to reject the fluctuations at the power supply, along an overhead cable, through the substation, along the street and then finally your fridge and god knows what else in the same building... all of these make any variation caused by silver plating or whatever look microscopic in comparison. If you could hear the differences in these power cables compared to other reasonably decent ones then what chance would your power supply have of rejecting those other fluctuations?

By "reasonably decent" I mean that it's thick enough to carry the required current, has surfaces which make a nice clean connection with the socket, and is well enough built that it's not going to suffer damage in normal use, no esoteric materials or strange construction methods neccessary.

dobster

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 11:13:27 AM »

all makes good sense. so, just another hyped up product. I'd like to create a list of such products, one by one. Thanks for the input guys I'll post other stuff when I come across it.

blue2blue

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 05:35:50 PM »

Ronny wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 22:38

The question was a valid one, as there are no such things as stupid questions, only stupid answers once in a while. You guys are going to nit pick over terms and spelling rather than discuss the company in question. These topics that get started off that way, often snowball into having normally good and intelligent people making personal attacks on each other, that have nothing to do with the original topic. That's a waste of bandwidth, not the original inquiry or enquiry if you want to spell it that way, being not genuine.  

Back to the topic:

They don't make any real outlandish claims, however the link to their brochure is dead, as is the link to their dealers and the specifications link only shows size dimensions of the plugs and outlets no real technical spec's to show that their plugs are any better than standard ones. That is itself is misleading, just by not saying anything. They mention quite correctly that the stainless steel hardware is a better build, but as far as improving an audio signal by cleaning up so called "dirty power" with a connector, nope I don't see that. You'd need a power conditioner for that, in the rare, rare case that a power company is generating power with surge spikes and brown downs enough to affect audio.

Ronny

Agreed that there is no such thing as a stupid question. And I'm always amused to read a good outlandish marketing claim when someone is generous enough to point one out.

As to nitpicking spelling:  It was dobster who tried to ridicule thermionic for what dobster thought was an incorrect spelling.

Now, if you want to say that thermionic's skepticism about the "non-spamminess" of dobster's probably innocent question was uncharitable... that's certainly an interpretation one could entertain.

But I don't think it's appropriate for anyone to jump on either thermionic or me or anyone but dobster for trying to use what he thought was someone else's spelling error to deride him.

THAT is the only reason I even posted... I thought it was pretty droll.

crna59

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 01:57:17 AM »

crm0922 wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 01:03

It is a waste of money...

unless you are going to replace all the wiring in your house and out in the street back to the power company, what difference could one silver connection in that chain make?

Chris

I did... I have an Equi=tech Balanced Wall Cabinet in my studio. The whole system uses 800 ft. of JPS Labs In-Wall cable ($18/ft) and 36 JPS Labs 20amp receptacles. I had the power company change out the transformer, twice, until they got a quiet one and wired the feed to the house with OFC/Alumalloy/Kapton. PRICELESS!!

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

Ronny

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 05:34:46 AM »

crna59 wrote on Thu, 05 October 2006 01:57

crm0922 wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 01:03

It is a waste of money...

unless you are going to replace all the wiring in your house and out in the street back to the power company, what difference could one silver connection in that chain make?

Chris

I did... I have an Equi=tech Balanced Wall Cabinet in my studio. The whole system uses 800 ft. of JPS Labs In-Wall cable ($18/ft) and 36 JPS Labs 20amp receptacles. I had the power company change out the transformer, twice, until they got a quiet one and wired the feed to the house with OFC/Alumalloy/Kapton. PRICELESS!!

Regards,
Bruce

$14,400 for JPS Labs In-Wall cable is priceless. That's a good one.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------