R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP VII techniques  (Read 10840 times)

Ged Leitch

Re: WUMP VII techniques
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2006, 08:08:14 PM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 00:55

I'm kinda curious what everyone thought while they were listening to all the submissions regarding whether or not each one was done ITB or with hardware. IOW, were there any submissions that you thought were "dead giveaways" as to which type of gear was used?

I myself didn't even think about it while I was listening so I'll have to go back and listen again.

Anyone else pay attention...??

Well mine was probably an ITB giveaway for sure!

But, generally it's not easy to pick out the Analog or the ITB ones, I think it's tricky, the ones that sounded more natural or were truer to the mix could have fooled me into believing it was all outboard though...
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

aivoryuk

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 09:29:04 AM »

something has just been brought to my attention about the masters presented.

you may remember that i had already noted that there was more masters on the servers then i had given out.

from speaking to one of the people i had given the track to, i found that he didn't submit his attempt.

which could mean that either multiple submissions have been done or the track was passed around to people that did not e-mail me (which i hope is not the case, im sure it wasn't) Smile

anybody else have any ideas because in some respect this is the only problem i can see with anon attempts

cerberus

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »

now that all the rules have been thouroughly broken, i (and it seems some others) wouldn't mind hearing a round of revisions... i feel it would emulate a real life situation better... i often do revisions that no one hears, as in this case.  ged, did you get to listen to mine?

jeff dinces

Ged Leitch

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2006, 07:04:08 PM »

cerberus wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 23:44

now that all the rules have been thouroughly broken, i (and it seems some others) wouldn't mind hearing a round of revisions... i feel it would emulate a real life situation better... i often do revisions that no one hears, as in this case.  ged, did you get to listen to mine?

jeff dinces

AArrgh so sorry Jeff Mate! Embarassed

Forgot to get back to you, anyways, again it was cool what you did to this version, i liked it Razz

It seems "tighter" than the other revision you sent me, did you do anything different compression wise?

chrisj

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2006, 09:47:10 PM »

Got a tattooed tit- say NUMBER 0013 Very Happy

Here's what I was up to (screwed up in that I did NOT keep notes, curse it- hey, at least I did extensive reviews FWIW)

I thought things were pretty good, just sort of 'demo-ey' so my version was characterized by two things: a wacky HF limiting routine that turned out to be too murky, and a 14" stick.

The HF/slew limiter was a lot more sophisticated than some previous ones- it basically put a continuously increasing saturation on just the slew factor, slowing things down without there being a sharp break in the curve. Unfortunately the disadvantages outweighed any benefits- the next actual paying gig I got, client was all like 'WTF' and I quickly got rid of THAT experiment. However, it did do a pretty decent job of setting things back in the soundstage, and I'm putting it back in as an option for things like doing convolution impulses.

The other factor was funnier to watch- I found that my white ass could get some clue of 'groove' and rhythm by swinging an orchestra baton. If I did that, smoothly, it became possible to 'feel' what was rushing or lagging, and I looked at the frequency balance in that light. I found that bass boosts were very responsive to this sort of thing, you could shift the cutoff frequency up to make things 'faster' or lower it to slow down. With the highs, I found it was more about bright stuff coming forwards and rushing, and letting stuff sink back into the texture of the song to slow it down.

I don't know if it's really important to do a revisions round- I mean, sure, I could do a lot with that, but won't there be another WUMP instead?

ericjenson

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 12:38:57 AM »

chrisj wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 20:47

but won't there be another WUMP instead?

yeah, i'm sure there will.
good to have you around, you are like a mad scientist who's not all that mad.

when folks are ready, i've been savin a few tracks if there's any interest.

maybe i'll start a quick thread and throw these pieces of meat out to see if there's any interest.

i'll tell ya right now , tho, you're going to be dealing with severely harsh upper-mids from a MOTU rig. might be good tho to see who has the winning strategy for dealing with these anomolies.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

present

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2006, 06:27:52 AM »

ericjenson wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 06:38

good to have you around, you are like a mad scientist who's not all that mad.

Second that. The Thomas Dolby of mastering!
As for demystifying this business, I'm not so sure.  Laughing

Rogier

aivoryuk

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »

ericjenson wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 05:38

when folks are ready, i've been savin a few tracks if there's any interest.

maybe i'll start a quick thread and throw these pieces of meat out to see if there's any interest.

i'll tell ya right now , tho, you're going to be dealing with severely harsh upper-mids from a MOTU rig. might be good tho to see who has the winning strategy for dealing with these anomolies.

bring it on eric, always up for the challenge.

just had another e-mail that states that they did not post their offering for the latest wump. i'm not sure how to get round people posting multiple attempts

cerberus

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 03:53:59 PM »

hi ged;

my revision is the same chain but without the second limiting stage: the critiques downrated the effects of this mega-smash tactic.. which i always felt was an "optional" direction, i wanted to do it because it is fun; and i felt that general direction suited this recording better than most.

so the revision is essentially a recall with about a db less rms;  therefore reduced distortion; the sound is less charged-up and less slammin', but easier on the ears.  i tried to keep everything else constant.

jeff dinces

ericjenson

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »

aivoryuk wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 13:30

bring it on eric, always up for the challenge.

just had another e-mail that states that they did not post their offering for the latest wump. i'm not sure how to get round people posting multiple attempts

i'm awaiting a response from an email i sent to the band for permission, i'm sure they won't mind, but just out of courtesy in case one of 'em stumbles onto this site and wants to know what the hell everyone's doin with their mix.
as soon as they respond i'll post 2 of their mixes, and see if anyone's interested.

-i don't know how to get around the multiple attempts thing with an anonymous wump. Confused

>edit: just got confirmation, will be uploading shortly.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer

ericjenson

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2006, 12:20:54 PM »

http://download.yousendit.com/D34FA5F438983B1F

the song's title: Ladder(it's chemical) by Sacred Cell.

the recording and mixing was done at Polysound studios, Tampa, FL.

check it out, the band says they would be honored to have us use it in our competition.

Ive already mastered it for them, so i will just submit my finished product if we decide to Wump this.

They dig Sevendust and The Mars Volta, stuff like that, so that would be your ref if you need one.

many thanks to them for letting me share this one out.

>this was done with MOTU DP, btw.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer

cerberus

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 03:58:12 PM »

the top end is not pretty... too bad, the drummer can play, but i think he is not aligned well with the [muddy] bass.. that is all the mixer's fault...but this is not dp's fault, imo.

ged has some mixes from the band: "armageddon soul" of which some of us already tried to master a 10 second snippet. it is a real challenge, if i recall, the kick drum(s) is stereo... and rapid fire like a gattling cannon.

ator has just made superb mix for i.m.p...  imo, there is true mixing talent among us.

we should consider all of these, and more...imo.

jeff dinces

Ged Leitch

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 06:47:25 PM »

ericjenson wrote on Wed, 20 September 2006 17:20

http://download.yousendit.com/D34FA5F438983B1F

the song's title: Ladder(it's chemical) by Sacred Cell.

the recording and mixing was done at Polysound studios, Tampa, FL.

check it out, the band says they would be honored to have us use it in our competition.

Ive already mastered it for them, so i will just submit my finished product if we decide to Wump this.

They dig Sevendust and The Mars Volta, stuff like that, so that would be your ref if you need one.

many thanks to them for letting me share this one out.

>this was done with MOTU DP, btw.

Eric I love the tune mate,

Sounds good, the top is'nt that bad (you should hear some of the ones I get!)

This would be a cool WUMP 8!!!

What do you think guys?

wanna rock?

MT Groove

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006, 08:00:19 PM »

Haha I agree with Ged.  The top end is not that bad compared to a lot of crap I get whether they be mixed on DP, Pro Tools, Cubase, you name it.  

ericjenson

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2006, 08:45:50 PM »

http://download.yousendit.com/D1AB4F3F77240A2C

here's some hiphop that was supposedly tracked and mixed with a karaoke mic, a soundblaster, cool edit pro, and reason2.0.

we can use this one too, if we want, thanks to MC Ghost and Nemesis from Venice, FL.

>edit: this one is almost 2 years old, but i thought i'd put it up since i was so impressed at the job done, considering it was out of a garage on substandard equipment. I normally don't keep stuff on file that long once the job's done.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.