R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Restoration vs.......  (Read 4414 times)

bblackwood

Re: Sony Restoration vs.......
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 07:16:22 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 00:31

Brad -- a little touchy about this are we?

When I see what appears to be political correctness run amok, I do tend to over-react. My apologies.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

carlsaff

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 07:23:44 AM »

Something I've been wondering...

If you have Renovator, do you need NoiseFree, or is NoiseFree's functionality included in Renovator?

I rarely need noise reduction, but I'd like to advertise having top-of-the-line NR for clients that need it.

James Perrett

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »

UnderTow wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 18:37

There is some comparison between Waves, Sony and Bias here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug05/articles/ptrestoration .htm

Unfortunately not the big names in noise reduction/restoration.

Alistair

There were also some before and after files on the accompanying DVD. I found that I could equal or better the results in Adobe Audition although the Sony results were probably the best of the three tested.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

UnderTow

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 09:30:44 AM »

James, it could be the operator. But yes, Audition is very powerfull.

Alistair

ericjenson

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 10:01:26 AM »

carlsaff wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 06:23

If you have Renovator, do you need NoiseFree, or is NoiseFree's functionality included in Renovator?

I rarely need noise reduction, but I'd like to advertise having top-of-the-line NR for clients that need it.

i've tried the Renovator for removing background noise, and it is very tedious, and hard to get a smooth sound from in this regard(even though the background noise will show up in Renovator). it is still good for all of the other anomolies they address in their advertising, and one of a kind, IMO. i've used it many times on mixes with sloppy edits or where a guitarist fobs a note, with amazingly transparent results.

but any kind of noise removal is usually tedious to setup, so many variables.

the noise removal in sequaoia is very good.

and of course, NoiseFree as well, which is what i use if i need it.(it's usually for background noise at the end of a song during a fade, if a simple gate or expander doesn't work)

i haven't had the chance to play with Cedar, but alot of people swear by it.

Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

Barry Hufker

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 10:20:55 AM »

Brad,

Thanks for the apology, but none necessary really.  J.J. can't be everywhere so (apparently) I try to pick up the "shit disturber slack."  No harm or offense meant -- just a little friendly tweaking.

Thanks for your understanding.  I'll try to behave.

Barry

Taproot

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 12:00:39 PM »

ericjenson wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 08:01

carlsaff wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 06:23

i've tried the Renovator for removing background noise, and it is very tedious, and hard to get a smooth sound from in this regard(even though the background noise will show up in Renovator). it is still good for all of the other anomolies they address in their advertising, and one of a kind, IMO. i've used it many times on mixes with sloppy edits or where a guitarist fobs a note, with amazingly transparent results.

but any kind of noise removal is usually tedious to setup, so many variables.

the noise removal in sequaoia is very good.

and of course, NoiseFree as well, which is what i use if i need it.(it's usually for background noise at the end of a song during a fade, if a simple gate or expander doesn't work)

i haven't had the chance to play with Cedar, but alot of people swear by it.

I agree. Renovator can be tedious, but I did remove some artifacts from a recording that normally I would've said would be impossible. Not suitable for broadband NR though. I'm itching to try the Cedar stuff. The sales rep is supposed to get back with me regarding a demo unit.
Rolling Eyes
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

jtr

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 12:31:40 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 04:23

Renovator really is best for  transient event type noises (like coughs, car horn, etc), whereas NoiseFree is a broadband noise application- hiss, ventilation, etc.

I've used Renovator with some broadband stuff for forensic work where the goal was to simply enhance the intelligibility of the information needed  - this is a somewhat different goal than restoration of music for commercial or historical purposes.  Important to keep that in mind when discussing effectiveness of the tools for the intended application.  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 20 queries.