R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apex 460 opinions.  (Read 3034 times)

Funk-O-Meter

Apex 460 opinions.
« on: September 17, 2006, 04:27:45 PM »

I did not start this thread to dig up the whole Telefunken thing. I know all about it. No need to beat that dead horse. (As much fun as it may be)

I actually would like some feedback from owners who've used them a lot. I'm thinking about snagging a pair. They sound pretty good, but doesn't jump out at me and say "You must buy me or forever covet your friends." But at the same time I think I would really like having a pair of these around. The multi-pattern thing I think would make them very handy.  I like everything about it except that little peaky thing it does around...what is about 5k? 6k?

And it's just asking to be modded isn't it? I've heard of some folks changing out trany's and capsules for it, which would be taking it a bit far to me. I'd just buy a different mic instead. Anybody had any great success modding these guys? I read some stuff here and I'm currently reading over at Gearslutz of course but some of those folks enjoy modding and talking about gear more than actually using it. So it's kind of a slanted view.

*edited- Wow, after reading about mods I found out that a Peluso diaphrams starts at $85. And apparelty makes a huge difference. You could theoretally get a great sounding mic for under $300. So it really would be cost effective to buy a pair of these mics and replace the elements. Now if I could just find some clips....... mmmmuhuhuhuhuhaaaaaaa...*

MI

Re: Apex 460 opinions.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:12:02 AM »

Funk-O-Meter wrote on Sun, 17 September 2006 16:27

I actually would like some feedback from owners who've used them a lot. I'm thinking about snagging a pair. They sound pretty good, but doesn't jump out at me and say

I picked up a Nady 1050 which is basically same as the 1150/Apex 460 model but in a different case -just fun and modding, but only mod I had time to do so far was changing caps to Polyprops and swaping the tube. Made it a bit quieter, and a little smoother top end, but not a huge difference.

I also thought about a pair of 460's as use for Room Mics and/or Drum OH's with the intention of getting new tranny's and rebuild.

I've used the 1050 as a room mic and is was good. It added the ambiance that I wanted.

Quote:

But at the same time I think I would really like having a pair of these around. The multi-pattern thing I think would make them very handy.  I like everything about it except that little peaky thing it does around...what is about 5k? 6k?

And it's just asking to be modded isn't it? I've heard of some folks changing out trany's and capsules for it, which would be taking it a bit far to me. I'd just buy a different mic instead. Anybody had any great success modding these guys? I read some stuff here and I'm currently reading over at Gearslutz of course but some of those folks enjoy modding and talking about gear more than actually using it. So it's kind of a slanted view.

It's a big investment of time, effort & money. It'll probably be one of those projects that wind up sitting on you're bench...

Besides, unless you really get a much better capsule and tranny not mention caps and copy a proven circuitry design, it's not worth it IMHO because it won't make enough of a difference from the original design. You're better off just using the mics as is.

If you're still ready to do it though, the Peluso capsule you want to look at is the large 34mm ones, he's got a C-12 style capsule and a K-67 style, abt $175, get a good tranny from Cinemag or AMI/Tab (Oliver Archut) those will run you $125-200 each. The $85 Peluso is a single sided, the $95 is dual, and it will be slightly better than the original Apex 460, but remember, the quality of the mic is still bound by the sum of all the parts. The capsule alone will not make enough of a change.

I'd look into getting a new quality tube as well if you're going to do it. Also you might look into B.L.U.E. caspules also.

Then again, you might find that you're perfectly happy with the mics as is.

Mario

Michael Brebes

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 05:57:21 PM »

They are just a "you get what you pay for" mic without replacing the transformer and the tube.  Also I think they sound better with the cathode follower circuit removed and the voltage brought down from 190VDC to about 110VDC.  Those mods turn it into decent mic.  Also replacing the capsule can turn it into an excellent mic.

Funk-O-Meter

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:35:50 PM »

Looks like after reading up on modding this mic I'd definitally be modding it after buying it. New capsule for sure. I heard some clips and I think it would be worth the price of the new capsule.

Yea, that's the big quesion isn't it? Is paying for the parts and putting in the time worth it? Will it be the best mic I can buy for $180 + $200 in parts?  Or can I buy a better mic for $400 and not have to deal with all the work? I'm not really aware of any really good mics in the $400 range? I've already got a pair of AT 4033's. That's the only one I know of that's in that range.

I've read a lot of threads about modding this mic since my last post and It I've even got some before and after clips if anybody is interested.

MI

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 12:23:58 PM »

Love to hear the clips and details of mods.

Thanks

Mario

Michael Brebes

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 02:56:12 PM »

I posted some clips on Homerecording.com that shows the differences between the stock and Peluso CEK12 capsules.  Both mics had all the other mods.  No clips of w/mods versus without.
In regards to "is it worth it"?  About the cheapest good quality tube condensor mic would be an Audio Technica AT4060, which is $800-1000.  $400-450 is quite a bit cheaper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.