R/E/P > Acoustics in Motion

Reflections PDF

(1/4) > >>

L_Tofastrud:
Below is a link to a document I started to write some time back (and haven't been able to find the time to actually finish).

http://www.fmdesign.com/support/ETC_article.pdf

It deals with our perception of recorded sounds in a listening environment.

Comments are welcome!

Regards
Lars Tofastrud

franman:
Thanks Lars... hey guys this is the real deal.. read it, live it, love it... my man knows of what he speaks!!

Teddy G.:
It has been a long day, which started early this morning with a 120+ mile round trip, via Amtrak, to Philadelphia for a VO session and ended - late this evening - with work, in my home studio for a TV show in DC, followed, of course, by "checking in" to several audio forums.

I say all this just so you understand why I'm not "getting it all" - at least not at the moment. However, THANKYOU for the post! For gosh sakes, FINISH IT! PLEASE!!! We need stuff like this to help us understand what is actually happening in our seriously under-treated rooms!!!!!!

Anyway, the "two rooms" description seems to make sense, even to my foggy brain. Thankx!

I wonder if one records in the same room one listens(Mixes) in, even from the same "position"(Sitting at the desk, speaking into a mic, recording, then listening back to the speakers, from same position) whether there might be 4 rooms? I'm tired...

Thankx again!

Teddy G.

franman:
and if you listen to the recording or your playing back the same recording that you listened to at the mix position, it's kinda like looking at yourself in the TV with the camera pointed at the TV, right.... (yeah, I'm beat too!)

Ethan Winer:
Lars,

> Comments are welcome! <

Nice job.

The more I've thought about this lately, the more convinced I am that comb filtering is the main problem caused by early reflections. You mentioned in your article deviations of +/- 10 dB or more, and my experience is that "more" is typical. It's often put forth that the phase shift and time delays from early reflections cause poor imaging and localization. That might be part of it, but my guess is that imaging is damaged mainly because the comb filtered response at each ear is so different. So you hear the sound as coming from each speaker rather than that as a true stereo image.

--Ethan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version