R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite 1" 8 track machines.  (Read 10281 times)

Larrchild

Re: Favorite 1" 8 track machines.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 08:28:58 PM »

I dunno, elgit. I have a PT 002R at home, so as you can imagine, the mere addition of an analog recorder changed the character of the home recordings a great amount.

I did spend many years using the A800 before I owned it, and came to my own personal conclusion that hyperbolic heads ..shaped like this: >|  ... which the Otari has, have a different low-end character than curved heads  )   like the Studer has.

The Otari actually sweeps flatter on the low end tho.
It's the "flavor" of the Studer I dig. Specs be damned.
No good or bad..just different, and both good!

Lar'

EDIT: the A800 is 24 track 2" which is a skinnier track than 1" 8tk
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

bushwick

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 08:58:45 PM »

Go here eligit...

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMPEX-AG-350-Custom-1-8-track-1960s-A-Cl assic_W0QQitemZ110030913354QQihZ001QQcategoryZ15199QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

eligit

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 09:20:01 PM »

bushwick wrote on Sat, 09 September 2006 01:58

Go here eligit...

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMPEX-AG-350-Custom-1-8-track-1960s-A-Cl  assic_W0QQitemZ110030913354QQihZ001QQcategoryZ15199QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

hehe..i totally was looking at this today...i just chickened out because of all the work that needed to be done on the machine.  

i'm all for maintaining an already nicely functional machine....but i'm just not sure about a fixer upper situation on a 40+ year old machine.

does look nice tho....

rnicklaus

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 09:29:24 PM »

That machine has had some mods - it looks as if it has auto input switching which in those days Ampex did not have.

It would not be a machine to buy unless you liked to tinker more than record and you had more money to fix it than it cost to buy.

R.N.

eligit

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 09:32:23 PM »

rnicklaus wrote on Sat, 09 September 2006 02:29

That machine has had some mods - it looks as if it has auto input switching which in those days Ampex did not have.

It would not be a machine to buy unless you liked to tinker more than record and you had more money to fix it than it cost to buy.

that was why i didn't go for it....i really cannot spend ALL (some but not all) of my time messing around with the machine.

rnicklaus

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 09:38:53 PM »

If you want to get music on tape, you need a machine that fires up and runs everyday outside of normal wear and tear and maintenance.

Anything outside of that is a boat anchor. IMHO
R.N.

Larrchild

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 09:39:41 PM »

Yeah for that kinda cabbage, something like I have. But relays and noisy FET ic's can plague those Otari MX's.

So yeah, punching in on the Ampex was like firing a torpedo in a sub, took 3 people. Even if it has autoswitching added, its not a good starter piece.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

rnicklaus

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 09:44:01 PM »

Think of trying to figure out how to repair the auto input mod if it had issues, which you can bet it does.
R.N.

rnicklaus

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 09:47:10 PM »

Larrchild wrote on Fri, 08 September 2006 18:39

So yeah, punching in on the Ampex was like firing a torpedo in a sub, took 3 people.

Good way to put it.  With the right console set up in the day, monitoring the output of the console during record and pushing up another fader for playback, you could reduce the work force to two people for a punch.
R.N.

eligit

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 09:52:53 PM »

an obvious fixer-upper situation is just not for me....even if a good deal emerges by the end it would not be a deal in terms of time or money.  i have enough to do without a whole other seriously time and money consuming hobby.....

just to have to bide my time on the right used deck.

rnicklaus

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 10:08:13 PM »

My friend sold his nice 827 24 trk for 3500.00 with remote, MRL tapes, everything.  Low hours

If I was looking for a 1" 8 track, I wouldn't spend much and it better be "mint".

R.N.

compasspnt

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 01:17:16 AM »

Or just buy a brand new one with a warranty.

eligit

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 10:09:28 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 09 September 2006 06:17

Or just buy a brand new one with a warranty.

are any professional quality 1" 8 track machines even in production anymore?

rnicklaus

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2006, 01:23:38 PM »

If you buy this 1" 8 track, what are you going to use as a console?
R.N.

Justin from Queens

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2006, 04:16:35 PM »

Hi there,

I bought an MCI JH110C about a year and a half ago.  

It's a fine machine.  The main problem with the JH 110s (and I think this is mentioned above) is that the connections on some of the machines were poorly done.  It's not a problem with my machine, but I recall seeing somewhere that the machines with real problems have a certain color on the connections (blue or red).  If you can avoid getting such a machine, you'll be sitting pretty.

The biggest advantage to these machines is that maintenance on them is pretty easy that there's several active resources (Blevins in Nashville, ladewd on this forum and former MCI tech Glenn Coleman) to help you deal with parts and maintenance issues.  I knew nothing about analaog machines a few months ago, but after some study and talking to the folks mentioned above, I can troubleshoot signal problems and do a pretty comprehensive alignment.  And I think it sounds fine.  In addition, the prevelance of these machines and the fact that they share parts with the 2 and 4 track models means that you won't be stuck looking for a critical part.  I bought the 8 track, a 1/2" 2 track and a 1/4" 2 track (for parts), spending about $3000 for all three machines.  

I'm in NYC as well and am running a home studio with the 110 as my main machine.   PM me if you'd like to come by and take a look at it.

= Justin

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.