R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP VII comments and discussions  (Read 9126 times)

chrisj

Re: WUMP VII comments and discussions
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 04:07:33 PM »

Another ChrisJ postathon (if I can do this, guys, you can). This post has been brought to you by the letter groove and the number

KAyo

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 04:28:46 PM »

Cool Statistic's page...
Well done! Razz

Reviews coming up!

Ciao,
KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

cerberus

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 04:53:54 PM »

thanks kayo; the statistics are meant as "liner notes" to satisfy our engineering curiosities. although... i'd prefer to discuss little about the processing or the technical aspects  of each master relative to the mix or our own master, and instead: more about: what would be your visceral reaction if you happened to hear this master on the radio unexpectedly during the course of a normal day?

jeff dinces

MT Groove

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 05:13:34 PM »

Don't know why, but I keep having issues downloading the files from the massive server.  I'm able to download a couple of the files OK then session transfer fails.  Same thing with the other Wump.

cerberus

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 05:43:18 PM »

firefox should work for downloading.  just tried it, no problems.

jeff dinces

Ged Leitch

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 06:02:30 PM »

It would be great if we could
mention which ones translate the best
to their own listening system?

I will update my own post as soon as i've listened to all them.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

ericjenson

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »

i like. bass range pulls back a little too much at certain points. compression artifacts?

thin sound. lacking some presence and just doesn't sound glued very well. kick needs to come out more.

way too much limiting, all kinds of unpleasant distortion. a little boxed in at points.

warm yet bright. getting real close to a good balance. i like.

warm. i like. close to being very smooth and natural.

snare a little unsteady. compression artifacts? otherwise good job.

crankable. distorted but pleasantly. hook really jams. i like. bass licks in the breakdown are sitting just right.

very dry, with spikes coming thru in the highs. transX? detailed to the point where it almost hurts. snare really snaps.

snare is crackling at points. some kind of ambience was extracted or added it seems.  details of the guitars are brought out nicely.

pumpy.  compression artifacts?  unnatural. works decently for the hook tho.

bright. kick ducks in and out. snare and hihats seem to dominate.

warm yet bright again. smiley curve. spiky highs. hurts.

warm.  very detailed. transX?  a slight cut to the 200Hz region could help.

highs unnatural and overbearing. incredible width. needs some warmth and some focus.

sounds like an mp3. some kind of delays are really multiplying the hihats in random ways. also a white noise seems to fade in and out in the background.

i like. natural. smooth. who are you? not me. very good handling of the breakdown, bass sits perfectly. grade A.

hihats are ducking in and out; aggressive de-esser? however turned out bright. could be crankable with a slight high shelf cut. as with 2983 a cut around 200Hz could help.

thanks to all participants

Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

lucidwaves

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 11:55:47 PM »

Allright, here is what I hear:

2112 - good, overall tonality is close to original which is good to begin with.  Bass and hats seem a tad pushed back

1010 - drums seem to lose their punch and are consumed with the guitars.  The kick is almost missing.  A lot of clarity is missing that was in the original

1234 - stereo image is gone because of the compression and limiting.  Tonal quality suffers from it as well.

1782 - very good.  one of my favorites .bass is a tad shy I'd say but the snare still carries a nice smack and the hats sound good.  Good compression.

1974 - I like this one.  It tames the highs a bit and sounds warm and smooth.  Not overly compressed.

5576 - Like this one as well.  Similar qualities to 1974 just a little brighter.

5792 - warmly distorted, and what else...?. I would never go this route unless the client specifically asked me to.

6069 - Kick is lacking.  Voice is very good.  bass is a bit muddy and snare sounds too close to the hats some how.

8130 - pretty good.  Highs seem to smear a little and overall seperation is lost a bit.  

4144 - way too much huffy compression.  all instruments have lost their clarity.  The vocal parts are less effected from it but wow.

1927 - bass has been pushed back a lot and seems to make it sound very trebly

Thats all I could get to tonight.  Should be able to get to the rest tomorrow.
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

cerberus

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 02:34:17 AM »

chrisj wrote on Wed, 06 September 2006 16:07

1107 +6.39 db. Least Compressed award. I'm liking what that does for the hat and snare- nice physical presence on those. Strangely, the quiet bits don't seem unusually quiet that way. This feels so open it's coming off a bit like it's a raw mix- which may or may not be good. Sure do get a clear picture of everything though.
but the client said : "incubus"... not "the kinks and kiss".  when i play 1107 next to incubus, i can't hear much of 1107.  i agree that  a "keen ear" made 1107,  but the client said: "if you can't make it quite as loud as incubus, that's ok"... which is different from: "cut it for audiophiles or headbangers or whatever you prefer."

lucidwaves wrote on Wed, 06 September 2006 23:55

5792 - warmly distorted, and what else...?. I would never go this route unless the client specifically asked me to.
hmm yes;  is it warm?  i was too  Shocked to notice! will need to listen again without  the mix or other masters so present in mind...no typical listener would have heard the raw mix or alternative masters; and it's from an unknown band, so there would be no pre-conceived notions about guitar tones etc. obviously an experiment (not mine however).  despite it's timbral deviance making it improbable as an acceptable master for the client, i'll give it a fair chance as a "radio cut".

jeff dinces  

lucidwaves

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2006, 09:11:47 AM »

cerberus wrote on Wed, 06 September 2006 23:34

hmm yes;  is it warm?  i was too  Shocked to notice! will need to listen again without  the mix or other masters so present in mind...no typical listener would have heard the raw mix or alternative masters; and it's from an unknown band, so there would be no pre-conceived notions about guitar tones etc. obviously an experiment (not mine however).  despite it's timbral deviance making it improbable as an acceptable master for the client, i'll give it a fair chance as a "radio cut".

jeff dinces  

I was shocked as well and thought "what the hell??"  Thats why I said I would never go that route unless the client specifically asked for it.
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

aivoryuk

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 02:59:11 PM »

Hello here are my comments on all tracks im sure you will find this interesting reading from a clients perspective. please don't take any offence to my comments.

here they are in the order they came in

5576- Good vibe, sounds like a record nice imaging, on some systems with less bass extention can sound a bit thin so maybe could do with a rounder bass but otherwise i really liked this one.

2112- good eq choice but chrous lacks excitement as can hear a bit of compression or limiting, so it sounds a bit fatiguing.

0013- no low end, mid-highs ok, chorus suffers from compression problems

1974-good eq choice rounder bass than 5576 so translates a bit better for me on other systems although the high end is slightly gritty but i think that is one of the flaws of the mixes anyway so a good job for me.

5792good sub bass but the rest of it sounds like its been out through a 8bit crusher, i'm not opposed to a bit distortion but this is too far.

1782dynamics are good kept intact and mids to highs are ok but i think the bass could be a but fuller. not bad at all

3334good vibe in the same vain as 5576 but lacks bass end and the high hats has been eq too much.

4224sounds like it has been saved as a low quality mp3 can't listen to it sorry.

6069good vibe still quite clean sounding although quite loud. there is the hint of distortion in the chorus so i prob would have asked for it lower in volume. the guitars also are starting to sound a bit too middly even for my taste but i still really like this one.

4144couldn't listen to this one due to the pumping compression (one thing i really don't like is pumping compression/distortion)

1010 strange treatment to guitars as now sound very boxy as well as the vocals sound like its swimming in cold, also fatiguing sound due to lack of dynamics,

8130weird beginning with the vocal, not bad eq but a fatiguing sound and the chorus keeps phasing out at certain sections whcih i don't like.

1927lack of low end no energy at all, all mid. but dynamics are fine

1234 complete distortion not nice to listen at all, also audible bleeps maybe a demo plugin voxengo-psp

2983good low end very tasteful eq, quiter percieved level than other but stil holds to reference track. chrous does lose a little impact in some places but a good job.

2368lack of bass, all mid which seem a little unnatural, dynamics are good.

1107nice eq i think my favourite high end treatment. i can actually hear the individual bass notes in this one. good width and very good balance. i think it could do with just a touch deeper low end. i also think the volume could be raised without sacrificing too much. really liked this one

i've been listening to these for a quite a while now so these are not first impressions and have listened to these on various systems at differenet levels including my new benchmark dac whcih i was already familar with. they were compared with reference tracks and the original mix

If i had to pick my favourites i would prob go with 5576, 1974, 6069, 2983, 1107.

i am not thje greatest mixer in the world and my own opinion on my mix was that i thought the bass could have been deeper and the high end needed to be tamed a little. this was comparing it not just to the incubus track but to other releases as well.
I was quite surprised by the ones that had all the phaseyness and pumping distortion/compression as in the brief i did state that i would not tolerate that as to me, records just don't sound like that

would like to say a big thank you to everyone that participated it was very much appreciated. i have learnt a lot from this one

cheers guys

cerberus

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 06:26:46 PM »

was there a noise shaped dither on this mix?  well never mind, the loop never stops and that i think is where it could be coming from, but.. there is an effect of an "hf energy front" noise floor which i had to wrestle with in the mix.

jeff dinces

Ged Leitch

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 07:05:08 PM »

Just want to say well done to all you guys,

and thanks Alex for the mix, good song m'lad.

Pity I went and screwed it up! Embarassed
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

lucidwaves

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2006, 08:57:35 PM »

do we reveal ourselves or stay annonomous?
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

UnderTow

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »

Wait wait! I havn't had a chance to listen yet with rested ears. We don't have many reviews yet so lets wait a little bit.

Alistair

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.