R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP VII comments and discussions  (Read 9162 times)

aivoryuk

WUMP VII comments and discussions
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:05:19 AM »

Hi Guys

Entries for WUMP VI is now closed, so its now time to start posting your comments regarding the other tracks. When making comments please remember to make comments on your own so as to stop people guessing which one is yours.

A big thank you to all that participated and for taking the time to do this.

I've been listeneing to them as they have been coming so I should be able to post my 'client' comments fairly soon.

Please try to keep comments constructive, this is not meant to be a steak swingng exercise.

I'll open up a techniques section later down the line.

Many thanks

Alex

Vladislavs Korehovs

Re: WUMP VII comments and discussions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 06:51:27 AM »

Hello,

i have just uploaded mine, so could you please include it in discussion also:(

aivoryuk

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:32:32 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Tue, 05 September 2006 11:51

Hello,

i have just uploaded mine, so could you please include it in discussion also:(

yeah now worries there is another one that has been added after i wrote this morning

cerberus

drivin' you crazy, burnin' you up...
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 06:13:23 PM »

<edit: 5 masters were uploaded since i wrote some general comments; so i removed the comments until i listen to those.>

jeff dinces

Ged Leitch

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 08:28:07 PM »

I just had to re upload mine, I thought it already uploaded ok but I checked earlier and my number wasnt there!

Sorry for the delay.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

lucidwaves

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 12:58:29 AM »

OK, Hope I am not too late.  I just got my monitors set up this week-end and this is the first project I've done on them.
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

cerberus

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 02:31:23 AM »

index.php/fa/3385/0/

cerberus

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 02:32:48 AM »

index.php/fa/3386/0/

cerberus

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 02:34:00 AM »

index.php/fa/3387/0/

aivoryuk

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 03:20:07 AM »

funny thing is that i only had 16 people mail me for the track but there are 17 masters on the server

Shocked

UnderTow

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 05:18:23 AM »

Did someone do two entries?

Alistair

Ged Leitch

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 10:06:15 AM »

looks like im first to start so here goes>>>

oh, and don't worry i'll update this post as I get more time to listen!

1974 - good job, quite natural sounding, the top end is sitting better but the bottom end is a bit too lumpy for me, could be tighter down there.Level is fine though.

4224 - interesting, the highs seem strange, like a phasey tape sound, and the low mids are thickened, nice but probably too much of a departure from the mix?

2368 - smooth job, bottom end is tight, top end is sitting better and level is in the ballpark with the incubus reference, maybe a bit more "Grit" though???

3334 - Ok job, a bit too dirty sounding compared to the mix, bottom seems a bit pumpy, perhaps a bit too much processing?

1107 - Close to the mix, unprocessed sounding, it doesnt hit the mark level wise in comparison to the Incubus reference, and the bottom end doesnt translate as good as it could.

****Edit**** - 1107 - on a re listen the bottom end actually is translating well, tried out on a couple of playback systems, sorry!

1234 - Loud yes, clean? ...no.
This could have been good apart from the obvious sounding processing on it, for the sake of the level, sorry just my opinion!

5576 - Very good work, natural, i think this fullfills the brief well, plays well on my systems.

2112 - good balance, good master, compression or limiting is a wee bit audible.

0013 - some comp artefacts in the chorus' and very little bottom end.

5792 - strange distortion, sounds quite digital, low end sounds nice and beefy though.

1782 - good work, dynamics sound unprocessed, good balance, bottom end could be up a tad more.

6069 - good master, nothing much to criticize at all, guitars perhaps seem a tad abrasive?

4144 - a bit too heavy on the compression, i think less comp and this would have been good.

1010 - not much punch in this one, a bit too midrangey, more bottom end punch would have been good.

8130 - weird phasing in the chorus', balance is ok though.

2983 - good job, i like the eq on the bottom end in this one, dynamics are good too, level is fine imo.

1927 - too harsh, too little bottom end.

just my opinion guys! dont hate me! mines sucked anyway!

http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

mbruce333

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 12:38:40 PM »

UnderTow wrote on Wed, 06 September 2006 02:18

Alistair

Yeah, I was checking out the same thing. When I dowloaded the tunes off the sever, there two files with the same number...don't remember what the number is (not at home at the moment...damn day job!) and one of the files just has the first couple of seconds, then a bunch of silence.  The other file seems fine.  Not sure what happened, and we can't really get an explanation with out revealing who did it! Smile  

MB
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

aivoryuk

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »

mbruce333 wrote on Wed, 06 September 2006 17:38

UnderTow wrote on Wed, 06 September 2006 02:18

Alistair

Yeah, I was checking out the same thing. When I dowloaded the tunes off the sever, there two files with the same number...don't remember what the number is (not at home at the moment...damn day job!) and one of the files just has the first couple of seconds, then a bunch of silence.  The other file seems fine.  Not sure what happened, and we can't really get an explanation with out revealing who did it! Smile  

MB

i've just checked my e-mail again and i've still only got 16 requests, that small file that you are referring to would have made it 18 files on there.

my original list is on the official wump thread, unless i missed anyone off

cerberus

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 02:54:03 PM »

it wasn't me. but i understand how it could happen. we made an agreement on revisions; but it was not by consensus: the minority opinion was strong.  

the agreement has not been kept to because imo,  we also made other agreements with each other that were broken.  a casual attitude toward rules and the commitment to learning (the purpose of the rules) may have developed. now it looks like someone may have compromised their learning experience (and ours) for a chance to improve their public profile.

we could  attempt to enforce the rules now starting with a forensic investigation into the orphaned file (which i think could succeed), or re-examine our rules, or just play through. i expect to have fun and learn anyway.

Ged Leitch wrote on Wed, 06 September 2006 10:06

a bit too dirty sounding compared to the mix

see, now when you say that it gives me a little adrenaline rush, you haven't reviewed mine, but your comment means there is a question for some about whether mix was too "clean". i want to find out more about "distortion" here. it's not too descriptive a term, has negative connotations; and yet it shows up to some extent in every master. i hear a lot of "color" this time, harder to assess, how do we measure if harmonic distortion is "pleasant" or not?  

it is true that i listened to thirteen and was totally blown away by one... and it's pretty blown out.   so now i will need to  re-examine what was my thinking  on who should be controlling the harmonic distortion in music.  if it turns out it is really up to the mastering engineer...what fun we could have! ("welcome to bombshelter mastering, please choose a stomp box and we can proceed") but if we needed to just frame alex's picture... hrm.  i'd really like for brad to critique these.

jeff dinces
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.