R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Old Digital/Analogue Debate  (Read 1779 times)

sonny

The Old Digital/Analogue Debate
« on: September 01, 2006, 01:55:19 PM »

This is for Mr Albini... and anyone else who cares to answer.

I've just been watching a lecture you held (not sure where or when it was held as I was given a copy from a friend) and you talk about how you don't think Digital is a good method of recording music not due to the sound quality, but due to the way that digital encourages you to work.

My question to you is: If the sound isn't necessarily and issue, what do you think to Otari's RADAR systems.  From my experience of using them and being produced by an analogue tape machine manufacturer, these machines are designed to be used like tape machines.  After working with a number of engineers using them - prodominantly Jerry Boys - these machines could be swapped without changing the methods of working at all.  The only thing that does change is the sound.
Sonny

Pinna Productions
sonny@pinnaproductions.com
www.pinnaproductions.com
34-38 Provost Street
London
N1 7NG

drumsound

Re: The Old Digital/Analogue Debate
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 02:07:46 PM »

While I am not Steve Albini, I do have some specific perspective on this subject.  I own a studio with both 2" analog and RADAR 24.  Unlike Mr. Albini, my reputation doesn't allow me to only have analog recorders in my room.  I tied for the first year I was open and I realized from a business perspective that I needed a digital recorder.  I chose the RADAR because it sounds very good and because it does in fact act like a tape machine will simpler editing.  The session controller, the user interface and the workflow in my room is quite similar whether I'm on the tape deck or the RADAR.  The only difference is where I have to reach for the transport controls.  The software only has one screen for the monitor, which can be ignored a good portion of the time.  I usually have the screen saver on most of the time and don't pay attention to the monitor at all.  you can even edit on it without the monitor (try that with a computer...)  The sound is quite good and I've been quite happy not having to change everything I do "behind the scene" when I switch from one machine to the other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.