R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project About to Implode! Help!  (Read 2338 times)

M Carter

Project About to Implode! Help!
« on: August 29, 2006, 03:53:36 PM »

Here's one for you:

I started producing/engineering a project back in July with an independent band.  Of course when these things get started, we all plan to conquer the world and whatnot.   This is a fairly young band, the music consists of songs that the singer wrote/performed mostly by himself and the band came later.  Years later, in fact.   Now the singer is starting to feel like he's losing control of what was once solely his music and I can feel the project about to more or less about to implode upon itself as the snowball of negativity keeps accumulating.  What doesn't help is that communication between the band members is more or less lacking. Being on the outside looking in, it seems like the singer is having a meltdown.

Bear in mind, that the money is VERY small on this project.  I'm mostly doing it because I want to and because I'm trying to get the ball rolling.  This would've been a great thing to have to attest to my abilities.  

Now, I'm trying to figure out how much (if any) more energy I should spend keeping this project on the tracks.  

I suppose I'm just looking for feedback.  Any ideas?

Matt
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

compasspnt

Re: Project About to Implode! Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 04:17:56 PM »

Producing is every bit as much about psychology (or perhaps even psychiatry!) as it is about music.

Many of us have been there.

We commiserate.

All you can do is try to keep a cool head  yourself, analyse the situation, and say and do the "right things," based upon that analysis, to assuage the situation.

Without being there, the variables are unknown to we mere outsiders.

I wish you good fortune.

rankus

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 05:47:50 PM »

Tell them that many great bands (The Who, The Beatles, The Stones, etc.)  had some very brutal exchanges and managed to keep it together because of the music... they can too... or not...
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

ShakesTheClown

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:13:47 AM »

Somebody's got to drive.  Maybe it should be you until you can explain the necessity for honest communication. Once everyone's shit is out on the table find the appropriate person to lead you to victory whether that is you or the singer.

Calvin

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 02:28:42 AM »

So, does this singer/songwriter really need this band?  It's his music.  I say (without being there to truly understand the situation) that the singer/songwriter is the top dog.  Good musicians are a dime a dozen, so if the band's not on board, fire them.  Seriously.  Again, I realize that I don't have all the facts and whatnot, but what does the band really bring to the project?  The songs are the key, so why should the singer/songwriter give up any of his vision/control?  Fire the disgruntled band members and bring in some folks who would actually be happy to play the songwriter's tunes.  I bet you could find a whole line-up of top-notch musicians within a couple of days over at the MARSH forums.  There's a lot of we guys set up for internet collaboration if that's something that would interest you.  I'm sure whatever area you're from is also full of good local musicians willing to participate on a good project for little or no cost.

Just noticed that you're in NYC.  Plenty of great musicians lurking about.

Just my $.02, again realizing that I don't really understand the situation.  Just throwing out some thoughts.

Good Luck,

Calvin

M Carter

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 02:19:43 PM »

Well, I had a long talk with the singer last night.  Looks like the project is probably going to implode, as it seems like the honey moon period is over and he's kind of just wanting to do his thing...

As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth losing any sleep over.  The guy's gotta do what he's gotta do.  It should be interesting to hear the band's reaction to it though.  

At any rate it'll give me some time to finish off some other projects.

Matt
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

1gibsonMO

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 01:59:09 AM »

Now you can start securing the gig on his next project!   Very Happy  Very Happy

jon

I am somewhat jesting, but have also done this!

band I worked with:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/sevenstar2

new gig:
http://www.grantessig.com/

PS. Not a plug for the bands or me!!!! just an example....

rankus

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 09:05:24 PM »

LOL,  Yes, I never sweat it when bands break up.... Where there was once one potential client there are now two or more....
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Brett Mixter Rader

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 08:33:52 AM »

Let it implode, learn your lesson and never work for less money than you deserve. As an engineer (or even as a producer) you are doing a work for hire, you are not the artist. If you work is based on love of the music you will ALWAYS be frustrated and disapointed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.