R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flutterproblem?  (Read 3053 times)

dirkb

flutterproblem?
« on: August 26, 2006, 05:50:15 AM »

Hi Fran,

First of all, way cool that you are taking the time to share your knowledge here!

I have a question on (non) parallel walls. How much of an issue is it to have some parallel walls in the CR if it's behind the listening position to avoid flutter?
I saw on the Mayque design you did (which is similar in size of the room I am planning) that apparently it is something that doesn't need to be a problem?

I have attached a picture that is hopefully self-explanatory (is that english?!). It would be quite a little bit easier construction wise if the parallel walls aren't a problem...

Secondly, how do you get all these stretched fabrics so neatly attached to cover the acoustic treatment?
Is there some kind of stretching mechanism involved or is the fabric glued?
Your rooms look killer and part of it is the great look of the fabric without too much trim involved IMHO.

Thanks again and greetings from the Netherlands,
Dirk

jfrigo

Re: flutterproblem?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 04:29:17 PM »

dirkb wrote on Sat, 26 August 2006 02:50

I have a question on (non) parallel walls. How much of an issue is it to have some parallel walls in the CR if it's behind the listening position to avoid flutter?

Hope it's OK to jump in and discuss even though Fran hasn't been by this thread yet.

Flutter is one of the easiest problems to fix, even if you don't choose to splay the surfaces. The simplest solution is absorption, but a somewhat irregular (diffuse) surface will kill it too. One effective but expensive way to deal with it is to use RPG flutterfree which is essentially a very small well 1D diffusor to target the higher frequencies that are flutter echo.

Another way is to put up some absorption. Thin panels will do fine for flutter, though you can make the treatments effective over a broader range if it helps the whole room plan. If 100% coverage will make the room too dead, use a checkerboard pattern where on opposing walls, one will have an absorptive square, and one will have a reflective square. This kills the flutter with only 50% coverage. Coverage with Celotex boards is also an option.

The other solution is to use some kind of irregular surfaced material instead of flat, smooth drywall (AKA sheetrock, gypsum board). In my current mastering room I installed ledgestone for the short length of parallel walls to the rear of the room. It looks great and kills the flutter without adding unwanted extra absorption.

dirkb

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 04:46:03 PM »

Yeah, I agree flutter is pretty easy to deal with. I was just interested how big an issue it is, untreated parallel surfaces in control rooms.
From the design picture on FM's site, it seems that in the case of Masque studio, the designers didn't think it was an issue. Or at least it looks like there are some parallel surfaces that are untreated.

Greetings,
Dirk

franman

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 09:37:25 PM »

okay I'll jump in now...

We don't have a problem necessarily with parallel, non treated surfaces at the rear of control rooms.. It's beyond the first reflection point, and the sound reflecting off these walls generally shoots into the diffusors anyway which is a good thing... BUT, obvious flutter is "disconcerting" to clients and engineers even if it doesn't affect the sound coming from the monitors..

The suggestions offered by jfrigo are valid and correct. Scattered absoption is probably the most cost effective way of dealing with it...

In Masque, I don't recall where there were parallel non-treated walls, but I know we have done many smaller control rooms with the rear wall areas are not treated and areas are parallel.. Of course, splaying the walls (more than 7 deg or so) will eliminate the flutter as well....
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

franman

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 09:38:48 PM »

also ... on last thought on this.. w

we often rely on "furnishings and junk" that will be placed in the room to defray some of the flutter issues. . Plants, chairs, lamps, artwork on the walls... all of these can also eliminate a lot of flutter...
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 16 queries.