R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Mastering for CD and DVD 2.0 PCM ( Recommended RMS and Peak level)  (Read 3351 times)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

• Real Full Name: Alécio T. Costa

Hi,

I never master for DVD but recently I have been requested to do mastering for a DVD 2.0 PCM as well as for CD.

My doubt is what are the recommended Peak and RMS levels for the DVD 2.0 PCM.

It is a Rock Gospel Group, similar to Malmsteen group. They collected performances from 4 different places.

The CD will probably sound fine at -11/-0.2.

Any info is greatlly welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

Laarsø

• Real Full Name: Laars Oglethorpe, V

Boa tarde, Rapaz,

For a minute I thought you were talking about DDP 2.0.    MetaCrawler told me the following about DVD 2.0 (glad you brought it up...):

"DVD 2.0 Format Specification

1. Video encoded in MPEG2 SD
2. HD available via Super Upconversion to 960p
3. HDi interactivity
4. Networking
5. Managed Copy
6. Fully backward compatible with existing DVD players."

With item number 6. in mind, I should think that the premastering level which works best for a garden-variety, DVD 1.0 will work with this format.  Although you can put whatever level you want for a music release that is not intended for broadcast, since people watch DVD's in home theaters, you might want to match to something similar.  Do they offer any reference material?  Is there a video house involved?  If so, they might be able to tell you the normals that they want to hear on their release.   They should not change your levels when they mux.

Ate o logo,
Laarsø
Laars Oglethorpe, V
Space Camp CD Premastering
Pivot dub lab vinyl products and consulting

Alécio Costa - Brazil

• Real Full Name: Alécio T. Costa

Thanks, Lars.
I was reading old threads from GS and Brad´s room at PSW and I get this info ( written by Jay F)

To make a long story short, in the specific case of concert video DVD, it gets printed full scale. It's a good idea to lay off the level a bit compared to a CD, especially for the 5.1. Still, you'll do some squashing. It's the nature of the game.

Sometimes the stereo gets squished worse becuase it then gets SRCd from 48 to 44.1 and serves double duty as a CD release. In a perfect world, you could do two versions of the stereo, avoiding unnecessary SRC for one and and excessive dynamics processing for the other; but what client is willing to spend the extra money for that? Not very many. Sometimes you don't even get a separate stereo and 5.1 mix.
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.