R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Live rooms that really ARE  (Read 9672 times)

stevieeastend

Re: Live rooms that really ARE
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 03:56:57 PM »

Well, actually my studio got a really nice room. Really big, very high ceiling.(14meters long x 5m h  x 8m b, I have no clue what´s this in ft.) I cannot imagine loosing it, but I will sooner or later as the ground actually owned by the local train company will be sold in about two years.
I have no idea what I will do then cause I gotten so used to it.
It´s so easy to get almost any kind of drum sound out of it just by moving mics. IMO it also makes a great difference recording amps in a bigger room. Piano, vocals... man I will really miss it..
I plan to get something similar but in a city it´s really not easy to find as one can imagine...

cheers
steveeastend

Juergen

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 04:39:30 PM »

steveeastend wrote on Sat, 02 September 2006 15:56

.(14meters long x 5m h  x 8m b, I have no clue what?s this in ft.)

Finally someone else that speaks in meters.  Very Happy  Very Happy

45.9ft long x 16.4ft high x 26.2ft wide.

I don't have any experience workin in any place that was mentioned before nor in any place that closely resembles the quality of those rooms, though I'd have to say that I really enjoy reverbarating rooms myself. In a dead room, the instrument just sorta sounds like it's in a vacuum (sometimes just sucks, but sometimes also blows)

However, you put an instrument in a nice space, record its interaction with the real world, and voila. Lately I've started considered building something that will sound live when it needs to be. I'm glad I am at the right place for learning.

Edited: Grammatical errors.
Signature: The fakultative signature, which will appear with the soil of your reports

franman

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 11:58:22 PM »

This simple idea is lost on many a young engineer, musician, home recordist:

A good instrument, played by a talented performer, in a nice natural sounding environment makes for a recording that's difficult to mess up (unless you really try!! Talk to Fletcher, and I'm sure he'll be happy to give you some advice that will mess things up totallY!! [hey Fletcher!! How about those t-shirts for my kids LOL]}...

A natural sounding room doesn't have to be huge. It has to sound "natural".. in other words, comfortable to talk in, with no blatant acoustic issues like flutter, bass build up or "bulbous" low mids and with a decay that fits the size of the room.... These are the goals we have been discussing in many of the posts. Some are more oriented towards "specialty" rooms; the small "diffuse" room or the totally dead booth when you have other acoustic spaces to work with...

USE YOUR EARS guys!! If the recordings all sound honky or muddy is it the room? Does the stuff sound that way in the room? If so, look at your room before you buy and patch in another eq, or plugin!! The room is an equal contributor to both the "production" of recorded sound and it's "reproduction".... think about it! [Fletcher>>> just kidding buddy, really... no put down that 1176!! no... no... don't hit me in the........]

fm

o
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

wwittman

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 11:50:10 AM »

without meaning to seem contrary, Fran,

my original point in starting this thread is that all of my favourite rooms are/were anything BUT neutral

in fact one of the ways i used to describe Record Plant NY B to people was that it was UNCOMFORTABLE to talk in there... it was so ambient that it was almost difficult to hear someone form the back of the room.
THAT made for the best drum room in the world.

everything in that room sounded bigger than life
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

organica

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 08:16:13 PM »

wwittman wrote on Sun, 03 September 2006 11:50

my original point in starting this thread is that all of my favourite rooms are/were anything BUT neutral

in fact one of the ways i used to describe Record Plant NY B to people was that it was UNCOMFORTABLE to talk in there... it was so ambient that it was almost difficult to hear someone form the back of the room.

was that what they were going for  ?
was it designed like that or an accident ?
do you think that room would translate better to tape than say to HD  ?

-AC

wwittman

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 12:37:10 AM »

I think the original intent (in the redesign) was to add some additional absorption at some point, but Shelly Yakus walked in one day and "no, stop. You're DONE."

and it was so,

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

franman

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 08:34:32 PM »

I think this type of room would be useful for some, but not the most useful for the most folks, and in a commercial studio, you really do have to try and cater to everyone. If you have six rooms then you can have an OUT OF CONTROL suite, etc... but if you have one or two rooms, then you have to be a little more sensitive to the mass appeal... Look, there is a recent project we completed that (I probably mentioned this above) the client wanted me to tame down the room, as it was too live to do vocals in??? I mean, there are two iso booths, large gobos to create a vocal hut... and it's pretty unique these days to have a decent size "Live Room" that sound good... but, it's not my studio.

There was one engineer who worked there a lot in the first few months show said that if I changed anything, he'd want to take it down when he recorded because it was one of the most kick ass live rooms he's ever worked in . Cool   that's what makes it a horse race...

so to answer the original question:  When FM Design takes on a large live room design OR remodeling job, and it comes out awesome, that's exactly what we meant it to be , by design... When it comes out so-so or crappy, then it's all the clients fault... make sense??   Very Happy    Twisted Evil

sosa wrote on Sun, 03 September 2006 20:16

wwittman wrote on Sun, 03 September 2006 11:50

was that what they were going for  ?
was it designed like that or an accident ?
do you think that room would translate better to tape than say to HD  ?

-AC

Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 19 queries.